PDA

View Full Version : viberg boots

fuzzy
09-19-2009, 08:41 AM
i know the topic of boots have been beat to death on this website. when i was a teenager i did a fair bit of overnight backpacking with my dad i went through a pair of zamberlan and another pair of european made hiking boots. i like these boots but both boots had glue on souls and you could tell they were both going to fail sooner rather than later.

i know that i want a stitch on sole because of this. i am going to be buying my first pair of hunting boots this fall and want something that is going to last for years and years. i want a boot that i can where for just about any condition except for the extreme cold as i will buy a pair of pac boots if i ever do any -25 or -30 or colder hunting.

i have decided that i want something with about 200 grams of insulation and dont really care about gore tex for i have gaiters and will buy gore tex sox if i need em.

i have come up with either the viberg hunters or a pair of danners as both boots can be rebuilt.

on the other hand i have never heard anything about the viberg hunters and would like some input or if someone has another brand of boots that would fit the criteria that i have listed that would be great.

boots are an investment i dont like to throw my money away

thanks

warren

Blacktail
09-19-2009, 07:24 PM
I was born and raised on the Island
worked in the woods and in the mills

Viberg boots would be one of the best investments you can make8)

Wood butcher
09-19-2009, 08:00 PM
I have owned both Viberg and Danners. Still own both actually. They will both last a long time. The only thing I can say is that the Danners did not bite the top of my foot/bottom of ankle when really tight. MY Vibergs did, but I think you'll find that most who've had them like them. I think they may have even started to take a wedge out of the tounge area to help with the "viberg bite".

I will say that both boots are alittle on the heavy side though.

my .02

Gateholio
09-19-2009, 08:29 PM
I have a pair of Viberg insulated hunters. I have EEEE+ wide feet and I really like thier "semi custom" options. Great, comfortable multi purpose hunting boot. They are not a great mountain boot though. Not enough ankle support.

09-19-2009, 08:43 PM
I own a pair of Viberg hunters. Ended up going with them because they offered the wide width l needed. The people who work there are absolutely fantastic for the after sale service they supply. One of my boots needed some work done to accommodate my mismatched foot width. They kept telling me to send it back until it fit comfortably. They've been cool enough for an Aug sheep hunt and warm enough for Dec deer hunting in the snow. A tough boot l would certainly recomend.......four years for the pair l own and they are still in good shape.

SVIR-Symon
09-19-2009, 08:52 PM
I own a custom pair of the model "44" hunters. i got mine with buffalo hide and steel toe and shank for work. i have had them 4 years and put new souls on them every year at 100 bucks, but i am super hard on my boots.

I believe they only have 40 grams of insulation? don't quote me.

I was short on money for one year and used them in -30 weather..never again had new boots next year. i would use to -15 with a good wool sock and be comfortable.

Heavy???yes they are. I would buy another pair once they get their compensate toe certified. But if i were to not buy a CSA aproved boot they would be the first boot i would buy. Just keep them waxed with hubbards wax.

fuzzy
09-19-2009, 09:37 PM
thanks for the input. gatehouse you said that the insulated hunters are not stiff enough to make a good mountain boot. can you point me in the direction of something that is or is this where the danners win out.

thanks
warren

ryanhuntslots
09-20-2009, 03:00 PM
I bought 10" high vibergs and found them to have loads of support for the big hills, just got them this summer and have hunted a hard 8 days in the hills. They required no real break in and are the most compfy boot I have owned

fudge
08-23-2010, 02:59 AM
I have both boots and wear the Danners more often . I 'm very hard on my boots and have had 2 just replace my Danners after 7 years. Go with DANNERS i wear them every day at work

fuzzy
08-23-2010, 05:56 PM
whoa now thats an old post coming to the top

i purchased the Danners, glorified running shoe :?

fuzzy

plumbcrazy
08-24-2010, 04:52 PM
I used Danners for 1 trip, then they went back!

Tarp Man
08-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Remember, Danner recently moved a lot of their boots lineup to stuff made offshore. The Made In USA ones are harder to find and I've heard you need to go directly to the warehouse to order. The other option I heard was the Redwing Shoe stores may carry the Made in USA stuff.

If you are looking for a stitched down sole, perhaps you should look at the Meindl Perfekt boots (GASP!!!). For all the slagging they have taken on this website over the past year, their stitched boots are pretty rugged. Stiffer than a steel bar at first, but they conform to your foot. Not a custom made boot, but proper boot fitters that know what they are doing can usually find the fit you need.

pappy
08-25-2010, 09:16 PM
My Viberg boots are the tree climbing ones with corks and triconies. They are very heavy. Once they stopped hurting my feet they were fully broke -in. After that they have been very comfortable, I used them every day when I was logging. Well worth the money but I would only use them hunting if I only hunted the slash. They have great ankle support.