PDA

View Full Version : Damn Hybrids!

Kapow
09-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Deep into region 3 yesterday , where whitetails were not at all knwn to be, I finally come across a young 2point, Glassed him for abot 10 minutes and noticed it's big ol' muley ears and body with a peculiar whitetail-like rack. Then he noticed me and took off and yes he had a whitetail tail (clearly)but it would'nt stand up like whitetail and he hopped away like a muley ??????Would have you took the shot and filled your whitetail tag or not?

shaner338
09-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Probably not on a 2 point...

FLHTCUI
09-18-2009, 09:31 PM
depends on whether I wanted a hat rack or meat for the freezer.
Not sure what the law would dictate on this, but if you where in an area that has both open seasons and no anleter restictions I would likely go for it.(meat or hat rack )
Rob

mark
09-19-2009, 10:00 AM
The tail would be the most defining feature by far!!!! Antlers, the least by far! He cant run or wag his tail when hes dead! If it had a big, long, white fluffy tail, it was a whitetale, end of story!

krazy
09-19-2009, 11:22 AM
The tail would be the most defining feature by far!!!! Antlers, the least by far! He cant run or wag his tail when hes dead! If it had a big, long, white fluffy tail, it was a whitetale, end of story!

... it always boils down to tail! :grin:

Mr. Friendly
09-19-2009, 09:53 PM
being I got into the game to be a meat hunter (and have yet to take an animal as this will be my 'first' season), I'd have dropped it. while I expect gain the palette to differentiate between mule and whitey, I'm told it all tastes the same. so tastes the same mixed with tastes the same should expectedly taste the same, LOL!

PGK
09-19-2009, 09:55 PM
No such thing, HBC xpertz say so!

Browningmirage
09-20-2009, 09:16 AM
No such thing, HBC xpertz say so!

Not true...I recall HBC experts saying they do exist, but that they dont exist in "herds" ;)

husky30-06
09-20-2009, 03:21 PM
have seen many hybrids in the kamloops area..... i have been told that they are unable to breed and that they can get very big. I have been told that the antlers are the deciding factor when taging the deer.

Browningmirage
09-20-2009, 04:25 PM
have seen many hybrids in the kamloops area..... i have been told that they are unable to breed and that they can get very big. I have been told that the antlers are the deciding factor when taging the deer.

think you are wrong there. Body is what the animal is. If it is a whitetail body then you tag whitetail. Many full blood mulies or whities have antler configurations of the other species, especially when the number of points is low.

husky30-06
09-20-2009, 06:43 PM
think you are wrong there. Body is what the animal is. If it is a whitetail body then you tag whitetail. Many full blood mulies or whities have antler configurations of the other species, especially when the number of points is low.

thats the point...... hybrids are only big boys...... configuration of points is more common when tagging.

TyTy
09-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Its a genetic thing. If it behaved like a muley, but looked like a white tail, I believe that its mother was a muley and father a white tail. Read somewhere it is the female deer that carries the gene responsible for behaviour. Bother mother and father will show through the hybrid in apperance. Plus the gait of the mule deer is unique to them alone. But its still a hybrid, both white and muley. And whitetail bucks are aggressive in rut; they will chase a muley doe.

I'd guess it would be safe to fill either your mule or whitetail tag on it as long it is convincing enough to identify such before shooting.