PDA

View Full Version : Really!

Wild_Dog
09-17-2009, 10:58 PM
I live at Nadeau and Norman. Recently a nice buck was poached in our subdivision. Really it died right beside my yard.

Here's a letter in the paper that says it much more elegantly then I can.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_cariboo/quesnelobserver/opinion/letters/59682317.html?success

I'm a hard core hunter, but really, this guy was like a pet. And it happens every year; Some loser puts an arrow in these bucks. I posted pics last year of this same gene pool. How is this hunting?

Anybody in Quesnel, I'm looking for info. PM me. I'm pissed right off. Its a freaking pulp mill buck.

cloverphil
09-17-2009, 11:06 PM
what a beautiful buck, thats a sad way to end a beautiful story for your neighbourhood

FLHTCUI
09-17-2009, 11:55 PM
I sure hope the clown leaves town before the locals find out who it was.
What a shame,
Rob

RiverBoatFantasy
09-18-2009, 06:52 AM
I must ask a question for purpose of intelligence gathering:

What was the name of the victim?
Did the body show evidence of axe blows to the head where the antler base joins the skull?

If so, it could fit the MO of a known perpetrator.

bsa30-06
09-18-2009, 06:53 AM
what a waste, hope they find the person responsible.

BiG Boar
09-18-2009, 06:58 AM
"Are you aware of the bylaws regarding discharging your bow in city limits?"

I am not, could someone inform me. Are you allowed to shoot a bow in the city? I know some cities, like mine, you cannot hunt in. However I was under the impression that discharging a bow was legal.

jrjonesy
09-18-2009, 08:06 AM
If not a legal question, it undoubtfully is an ethical question. Do like to hunt, or would you rather just kill?

Shooting a tame deer within city limits is simply killing, not hunting, and there should be no attempt at justification.

Wild_Dog
09-18-2009, 08:17 AM
"Are you aware of the bylaws regarding discharging your bow in city limits?"

I am not, could someone inform me. Are you allowed to shoot a bow in the city? I know some cities, like mine, you cannot hunt in. However I was under the impression that discharging a bow was legal.

In the "city" of Quesnel you cannot shoot your bow.

betteroffishing
09-18-2009, 08:56 AM
no justification for it , and its definately not sporting , that said if i was out of work and the family was looking at the dog like it could do with one less leg , i cant say i wouldnt think of dispatching a town buck to put some food up. i definately say this as a last resort kind of thing , but from what ive been reading on the economy i wonder if we wont be seeing and hearing more of these stories . i dont think hunger was an excuse here as you said the deer died in your yard and i guesse the meat went to waste . again no justification , i just allways try to think what it would take to motivate someone to do such blatantly stupid things , and hungry kids is all i could come up with.

RiverBoatFantasy
09-18-2009, 11:17 AM
no justification for it , and its definately not sporting , that said if i was out of work and the family was looking at the dog like it could do with one less leg , i cant say i wouldnt think of dispatching a town buck to put some food up. i definately say this as a last resort kind of thing , but from what ive been reading on the economy i wonder if we wont be seeing and hearing more of these stories . i dont think hunger was an excuse here as you said the deer died in your yard and i guesse the meat went to waste . again no justification , i just allways try to think what it would take to motivate someone to do such blatantly stupid things , and hungry kids is all i could come up with.

The person either:

a.) wanted to see how thier new bow could kill a deer standing beside a road. (we do have a lot of new bow hunters in this province that road hunt).

b.) the person covets deer antlers

or both

or c.) a local gardner who has had enough with townfolk feeding "pet " deer. Happens all the time.

I'm not going to get very emotional about it. I doubt there would be an issue raised if it were a mangy doe or a gimp-horned buck.

500grhollowpoint
09-18-2009, 01:24 PM
I like the part at the end there where she says "300 lbs of meat"

Quit whining. Maybe it was shot where it was legal and wandered where it felt safe to die.

TPK
09-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Quit whining. Maybe it was shot where it was legal and wandered where it felt safe to die.

Nice ... and the "legal" hunter obviously did his due diligence in tracking his wounded animal... There is no excuse for this so stop trying to find one. Just makes all us hunters look bad.

RiverBoatFantasy
09-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Our buck was later packed into the back of a city pickup truck and hauled to the dump as no one is allowed to have the 300 pounds of meat due to the circumstances under which it was killed.

So I ask, WAS SHE FEEDING THIS DEER?

TPK
09-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Our buck was later packed into the back of a city pickup truck and hauled to the dump as no one is allowed to have the 300 pounds of meat due to the circumstances under which it was killed.

Well .. we can all read the article .. what is the point you are making here?

** edited to add ..Sorry, I missed the question in your post ... somedays I don't read so good .. lol **

RiverBoatFantasy
09-18-2009, 01:44 PM
I asked a question. Was she feeding the deer?

Feeding deer often leads to this type of heartbreak ending.

huntwriter
09-18-2009, 01:54 PM
If not a legal question, it undoubtfully is an ethical question. Do like to hunt, or would you rather just kill?

Shooting a tame deer within city limits is simply killing, not hunting, and there should be no attempt at justification.

So with that definition all the LEGAL bowhunting that goes on in American inner city parks to control a exploding suburban deer population is just killing. It's obvious that you never hunted suburban deer otherwise you would not make a statements like that. I would like to take you along to my next suburban deer hunt in Illinois. I bet you would change your mind very quickly.

I am not justifying what the person who shot the buck did because what he/she did was obviously illegal.

Reading that the police dumped the deer because it was poached is ridiculous. Why not take the deer to a butcher and then donate the meat to the local homeless shelter or soup kitchen.

To the person asking about discharging a bow in the city.

As far as discharging a bow in the city/town it seems each jurisdiction has different by-laws most do nor permit the discharge of firearms within the city/town limits. Not that this would stop a criminal anyway. Some jurisdictions permit shooting bows in your backyard while other included bows with the firearm discharge by-law.

Wild_Dog
09-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Well obviously some of you need clarification.

No way in hell was this buck ever on land that is not within city limits. Just like all the other deer in this subdivision, they hang out in the pulp mill grounds and cross the highway every day to feed in the undeveloped pasture beside the Quesnel River. Sure, bucks can and will travel during the rut, but obviously this is not that time of year.

These are city deer. Not tame but definetly not scared. They live hear for a reason, because they are safe. Or should be. The highway kills quite a few every year because people insist on bombing down the last hill to the bridge.

Why is this even a debate? For all the tough talk some of you do about how passionate you are about hunting and how extreme you think you are its pretty ironic that you could even for a moment think that this is ok.

Pretty disgusting really.

And as for people feeding them. There is no need as there is a lot of food available. Now in the winter, yep, I toss a few apples on the ground now and then.

LYKTOHUNT
09-18-2009, 02:03 PM
I asked a question. Was she feeding the deer?

Feeding deer often leads to this type of heartbreak ending.
Well if you call growing a garden or having shrubs or fruit trees in your yard then I guess she and everyone else was feeding this deer.
The point is it is not legal to shoot/hunt deer in the city limits nor is it much sport as these deer are almost tame as they are born and raised in this area and are very used to people, traffic ,etc.
I agree it does not make us hunters look very good because of the action of a few we are all painted with the same brush.
As far as the comment about 300lbs I am sure most of us understand this was written by a person that may not be that knowledgable about deer and their weights and we should not get too hung up on that point.

RiverBoatFantasy
09-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Well if you call growing a garden or having shrubs or fruit trees in your yard then I guess she and everyone else was feeding this deer.
The point is it is not legal to shoot/hunt deer in the city limits nor is it much sport as these deer are almost tame as they are born and raised in this area and are very used to people, traffic ,etc.
I agree it does not make us hunters look very good because of the action of a few we are all painted with the same brush.
As far as the comment about 300lbs I am sure most of us understand this was written by a person that may not be that knowledgable about deer and their weights and we should not get too hung up on that point.

No. I am talking about regularly feeding deer. What you talk of is opportunistic dining by the deer. I mean feeding deer. I used to know of an old lady who regularly fed deer through her kitchen window.

I am just asking because the feeding of deer is very, very common and often leads to this type of heartbreak ending.

TPK
09-18-2009, 02:40 PM
I am just asking because the feeding of deer is very, very common and often leads to this type of heartbreak ending.

So true .. there was such an incident out at 10 Mile Lake last year. He was nice friendly Buck .. until the rut, then he was a problem and had to be shot.

jrjonesy
09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
So with that definition all the LEGAL bowhunting that goes on in American inner city parks to control a exploding suburban deer population is just killing. It's obvious that you never hunted suburban deer otherwise you would not make a statements like that. I would like to take you along to my next suburban deer hunt in Illinois. I bet you would change your mind very quickly.

Your comment seems a little harsher than necessary but no offense taken because I had considered that reasoning before posting my comment. I believe there is a difference between the suburban deer in the States that have been historically hunted to some degree and can still be in fact quite difficult to hunt. That, opposed to deer that wander into or are born and raised in B.C. communities and then end up possibly being fed by citizens to the point where they are obviously very tame. To me there is a recognizable distinction there.

On the flip side, if you are saying that suburban deer hunting in the States is in most cases hunting tame deer (or at least with limited wariness) then I would have to say that yes, this would be just killing. It may serve a purpose due to overpopulation but never-the-less would still be just killing. I however don't believe that is the case. I would guess that your next suburban deer hunt in Illinois would not be an 'easy' hunt.

TheDuckinator
09-18-2009, 05:14 PM
I think that the best odds are that it was some 12yr old testin' out daddy's bow. Either way its a despicable act of crude un-needed violence that yet again makes US look like savages.

longhairmtnman
09-19-2009, 08:26 AM
I had the good fortune of seeing this buck earlier this summer, bedded down next to the river in some tall grass, and antlers extending high above. HE was to be reveared. I took some camera-phone pics, but don't know how to get them. There was also a batchelor group that I would see frequently in the area. Might have been some of his offspring there. Too bad he had to go out that way......

Gr8 white hunter
09-19-2009, 08:51 AM
thier is to many sick idiots out in the world

Amphibious
09-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Reading that the police dumped the deer because it was poached is ridiculous. Why not take the deer to a butcher and then donate the meat to the local homeless shelter or soup kitchen.

last i heard game meat could not be used in soup kitchens as it does not go through a government approved processing center.

why you don't see a "hunters feeding the homeless" organization in Canada.

as for "hunting" deer in city parks.... why not just play buckhunter at the pub? ;)