PDA

View Full Version : Camo...gimmick and just marketing hype????

Billyisgr8
09-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Ok so I now know of 3 different people over the last few years who have had pretty much the same thing happen to them. Wearing orange stop for a break, and out of nowhere deer come walking by, the one guy even had a fawn come close to him to sniff, then walked away... What about the camo, they were not blended in at all, however they all froze and did not move once the deer was spotted coming towards them.

This makes me rethink the camo craze most of us are in, and that movement plays more of a role then looking like a tree branch. I am wearing orange from now on to see if it will work for me too.

Also another story, not camo related but posture plays a part..photographer is trying to get a perfect shot of a footprint in the snow from the tracks he is following, he keeps following the tracks looking for the perfect one, he is bent over, with the camera, after some time he stops by the edge of the woods, but as he looks up still being bent over, he notices that he has just walked into the middle of some deer bedding down, he was able to get it on film, and the second he stood upright all the deer took off. whooa! The core instructor told us this story when I did my class

CanuckShooter
09-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Many years ago I wore a blaze orange coat while deer hunting, and I usually didn't see to much. The fellows I hunted with kept chiding me to can the coat and get some camo because they could see me moving from hundreds of yards away. Canned the blaze went to camo and have never looked back.

MB_Boy
09-17-2009, 08:17 AM
I don't think there is any denying that camo WILL break up your silhouette/form AND hide you, but there are LOTS of moose, deer and elk that get harvested as you head east from BC where blaze orange is a legal requirement while big game hunting.

I have had deer and moose come to within 10 yards of me while wearing "blaze orange camo".

Amphibious
09-17-2009, 08:36 AM
camo is a disruptive pattern, breaks up your outline. while this is fine and dandy, the way you move will go a lot further to being stealthy then your super dooper realtree breakup AP scentlock 3d snakeoil coated pants.

lets be honest, most hunters in BC never get their fat asses out of the truck long enough for camo to become anything more then a redneck fashion statement.

Deer, moose, elk, bear, etc... all color blind.

KevinB
09-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Do you need camo to be successful? nope. As long as it does what it is supposed to do - break up your outline to make it a bit harder for an animal to ID you - then it can probably help. Remember it doesn't matter how visible you are to a human, what matters is how visible you are to an ungulate. They don't see colour the same way we do. I think a few of the patterns available are pretty good but I find that most hunting-specific camo clothing is either too expensive for what you get, too loud, has features I don't want, or lacks features I do want. There is a huge amount of hype and marketing around camo clothing because companies make a lot of money selling it.

Most of my deer, I've shot while wearing my trusty grey fleece pants and shirt that I bought at Value Village for a few bucks. As long as you're wearing something that generally matches the tones of where you're hunting you're probably fine. Grey or grey-green works okay pretty much everywhere.

I only rifle hunt, bowhunters might have a different take as they often find themselves very close to animals.

ferndogger
09-17-2009, 09:15 AM
I think its hard to say. I am a bowhunter and I wear camo, but not sure how effective it is. There has been lots of times I have been hiking through the bush(not hunting) wearing bright clothing and have gotten very close to animals. And other times I have been hunting in camo and cant get near as close. I think it is good to break up your sillouette, but I also think is a huge market and the hunting industry plays it up to make $$$$. Im sure alot more animals over the years have beenharvested with the classic elmer fudd plaid then with camo. I think its more important for bowhunters, as we need to get closer to animals. What I do think though, is animals can sense when you are hunting or not. I think we give off something that they can feel. We need to figure a way to cover up the senses we are giving off to the animals. I can see the info-mercial now.

Spokerider
09-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Camo sells.....

Marketing is marketing, it matters not if you're selling hunting items, autos, or cupcakes......

308Lover
09-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Hunting in Alberta required FULL BLAZE ORANGE top and bottom. Didn't seem to be a problem. Then bow hunters came along in the early 60's and 70's and made a case for camo since they stalked to close range. I've worn both, and agree that it's your hunting and stalking prowess that affects your success rather than the camo.(In BC I like some camo so other hunters can't see me well enough to shoot at me. LOL (P.S.) A hunter was killed in Alberta wearing full blaze orange--someone thought they heard a deer)

elkdom
09-17-2009, 09:58 AM
camo is a fashion "statement" for the most part,

any flannel shirt with a plaid pattern will work just as well as the most "Trendy camo patterns"

movement and scent is far more important as to being stealthy, I have killed big bull elk at 9 paces wearing flannel shirts, you need to get closer? I don't think so,,would I have gotten closer wearing camo?? I don't think so,,,

all the TV and Video marketing sells CAMO!

silhouette yourself wearing camo, you still get busted!
keep in the shadows wearing a flannel plaid shirt or a denim jacket and your invisible !

many so called hunters spend more time SHOPPING, than actually in the bush learning wildlife behavior,
hence the huge CAMO clothing industry,,:neutral:

oh, I almost forgot,, YOU look so ff'nnn COOL man!:oops:

ferndogger
09-17-2009, 10:21 AM
I love camo, it makes me feel good when Im sitting on my couch on HBC. I think it helps me type faster. Its alot of work to put on camo face paint just to check the new posts everymorning, but its worth it.

elkdom
09-17-2009, 10:26 AM
I love camo, it makes me feel good when Im sitting on my couch on HBC. I think it helps me type faster. Its alot of work to put on camo face paint just to check the new posts everymorning, but its worth it.

yeh! it takes so long to get "made up" lmao

OH! I dont want to be too gossippy! but have you had a chance to try the "NEW improved PRIMOS Camo toilet tissue" ???

I hear it's a real BLAST!:oops:

ruger#1
09-17-2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Blaze_camo.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6173&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=699) I used to wear this , Infact i still have them and shot alot of game using it. Those are mule deer antlers behind it.

ferndogger
09-17-2009, 10:55 AM
yeh! it takes so long to get "made up" lmao

OH! I dont want to be too gossippy! but have you had a chance to try the "NEW improved PRIMOS Camo toilet tissue" ???

I hear it's a real BLAST!:oops:

Is it 2 ply? I only use two ply with added aloe.

elkdom
09-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Is it 2 ply? I only use two ply with added aloe.

yep! available in "2 ply" and "80 grit" for the real outdoorsy types! :eek:

BCRiverBoater
09-17-2009, 03:49 PM
I have stated one fact for years on camo vs no camo.

Every guide I know wears jeans and not any camo pant. Most were jean jackets, flannel jackets or plain solid color rain gear. Who kills more game? A professional guide or someone shopping at Cabela's?

Watching and knowing how to stock your animal is everything. Wind, wind, wind!!!

RustyRipper
09-17-2009, 04:10 PM
How bout UV light? I read an article about deer being able to spot uv colors on clothing (occuring from brighteners and such in detergant) and that no matter what kind of camo or not camo you are wearing they can spot you like a sore thumb because of uv (which would be unnatural on trees and bushes etc.). I'm not sure if this is completely true but all the same I use an all natural detergent that is colorless and odorless, just to be safe.

7mag700
09-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Everyone knows deer can see UV light - they also wear polarized sunglasses :p

I figure the whole UV thing is bunk.

I like my Remington camo, but for different reasons - the 3-way jacket and pants are nice for changing layers going from cold mornings to hot afternoons to cool evenings. It also gives me something to get blood 'n' guts on instead of on my regular clothes.

Plus I'd rather look like a knob at the gas station in camo than a knob at the gas station in Abercrombie and Fitch :biggrin:

7m7

tikkat3
09-17-2009, 06:00 PM
The saddest thing is seeing dudes in January shopping at WSS in Calgary all styled up head to toe in scentlock realtree. It's as though as soon as they buy their stuff there headed out the door to kill things along deerfoot trail in the -40 windchill.

Like all other forms of fashion It's more about feeling like your part of an imaginary tribe. The gucci tribe the nike tribe the browning tribe, all the same when it comes down to it. Voluntary enslavement.

I've noticed that all forms of camo have become way more hip with the fashionistas since 911. Part of societies militarization. I'm waiting for jackboots and brownshirts to come back, it would be so "Retro".

LOL too true...voluntary enslavement to fit in.

358win
09-17-2009, 07:50 PM
If deer are hunted hard and you have to get in close, camo HELPS.
It is also built warm light & lot's of pockets.
Keep wind & movements down or forget it.
I was playing with several does in a clearing one evening in full camo.
If I walked very slow, they just watched me. As soon as I stopped, they started bobbing heads to get depth perception because they lost me.
Camo promotes hunting as well as HBC Hats in the bush or not.

Johnnybear
09-17-2009, 08:26 PM
I tend to agree with what others have said that breaking up your outline, the way you move (I like the head down camera dude story!), and staying down wind play more to your advantage than any new camo pattern ever will. I switched to Predator camo a couple of years ago and it does work at breaking up your outline. I also have bumped into does and small spikers at really close range and have raised my rifle up (at a vertical 45 degree tilt across my face) to hide or break up my face and they don't bolt at all and just stand there trying to figure out what I am.

The modern camo and real this or mossy that are IMO just out for your money and care more about what others hunters think you look like:???:.

I read a really good article by Fred Asbell in Trad bowhunter magazine about wool and I am sold on it's benifits for blending in and comfort etc.

I can't comment on the blaze orange as I have never had to wear it yet.

Roots
09-17-2009, 08:32 PM
I think I'll be buying an ASAT outfit in a couple of days...have heard nothing but good things about it...

wolverine
09-17-2009, 08:56 PM
I think camo works but is not necessary. I agree with the other guys, it's your outline and movement that is detectable more than anything else. If you're walking a ridgeline where there is nothing behind you to help break up your outline it won't matter what camo pattern you are wearing. You're spotted and fast. Just think about the deer that you are hunting. How is it that you spot them. You know that if the move or are out in an opening they are easy to spot but if they are around the tree line, and especially standing still, they are almost impossible to spot without glasses and last time I checked I didn't see a deer hide in mossy oak or realtree hardwood. I think camo works best for keeping hunters from spotting other hunters.... which isn't always a good thing.

martyonthewater
09-17-2009, 09:59 PM
While I think there's no question that camo is a fashion fad, there is something to be said for blending in. As far as I am concerned, the fewer hunters that see me the better. The thought of being shot at by a 'sound shooter ' holds little apppeal and I'm not sure blaze would make any difference when it comes to being safe from these idiots but It makes my wife feel better when she see's me packing my blaze and saves my ears from a scorching. Given my druthers, I would be perfectly happy wearing my old red mackinaw , stanfields and wool pants

Johnnybear
09-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Given my druthers, I would be perfectly happy wearing my old red mackinaw , stanfields and wool pants

Hundreds if not thousands still do marty:D. I have alot of wool clothing still and that is all I am probably bringing with me on my moose hunt the first week of October. Woolrich, Pendelton's, Filson, to name a few all have great wool products with natural tone plaids etc. I have stanfields coming out the ying yang and some Codet stuff.

burger
09-25-2009, 02:10 PM
I bought some browning goretex outer wear. Yes its camo but if it was a solid tone I would be just as happy. I bought it after hearing buddies rave about how well it works for keeping you warm and dry. Breaking up the sillouette is just a bonus.

Oh and it is good product had it a few years now and seems to do me well

Elkaddict
09-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Also another story, not camo related but posture plays a part..photographer is trying to get a perfect shot of a footprint in the snow from the tracks he is following, he keeps following the tracks looking for the perfect one, he is bent over, with the camera, after some time he stops by the edge of the woods, but as he looks up still being bent over, he notices that he has just walked into the middle of some deer bedding down, he was able to get it on film, and the second he stood upright all the deer took off. whooa! The core instructor told us this story when I did my class

I'm sure posture plays a role to to some extent. Try approaching a skittish or spooky horse with a large stride, shoulders back and chest out. The horse is gone, they don't want anything to do with you. Slow your gait, drop your shoulders and your head and you can usually approach them with little problem. This must translate to wild game at least a bit. They can tell when you are aggressive or passive and will react accordingly.

4570hunter
09-25-2009, 05:31 PM
I bought ASAT camo as a pull over a long time ago for $50.00 if you have not seen it here is the website http://www.asatcamo.com/ I don't work for them
but this stuff is inexpensive light weight for all weather conditions. I have deer and moose walk right by me and stand and look at me for about 30 seconds or more. It does not look like anything anyone would consider to be camo.
I have used it for the last 15 years it an old version of the new one but the same pattern it works great.

358win
09-25-2009, 06:01 PM
AGAIN. How hard are they hunted? Game get's used to human form.

huntwriter
09-25-2009, 07:17 PM
I bought ASAT camo as a pull over a long time ago for $50.00 if you have not seen it here is the website http://www.asatcamo.com/ I don't work for them
but this stuff is inexpensive light weight for all weather conditions. I have deer and moose walk right by me and stand and look at me for about 30 seconds or more. It does not look like anything anyone would consider to be camo.
I have used it for the last 15 years it an old version of the new one but the same pattern it works great.

Agree with you. It's the best there is because it is the only pattern designed based on animal vision science versus hunter marketing sience.

Been wearing ASAT almost exclusively from the day it came on the market 19 years ago. Unlike other companies that introduce every year a new and "improved" camo ASAT hasn't changed the pattern since its inception. Meaning they got it right the first time.:wink:

ElkMasterC
09-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Lets be honest, most hunters in BC never get their fat asses out of the truck long enough for camo to become anything more then a redneck fashion statement.

If I had a Club, I would invite you to join for that statement.

One of the areas I hunt I got into because I met some boys from the Okanagan (Firefighters mostly) that hunt up Frenchman's Creek on the east side of region 4. They had 2 bulls in camp, and stories of many more. None of them wore camo, and I called them on it, and they said they almost never do. In fact, one had a whole herd walk by him at 2 yards, simply because he wouldn't move.
They looked at him a little, and kept on browsing away.
Since then I usually wear it, as I'm sure it doesn't hurt, but I'll take stillness over Camo 5:1 any day.

ElkMasterC
09-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Like all other forms of fashion It's more about feeling like your part of an imaginary tribe. The gucci tribe the nike tribe the browning tribe, all the same when it comes down to it. Voluntary enslavement.

I've noticed that all forms of camo have become way more hip with the fashionistas since 911. Part of societies militarization. I'm waiting for jackboots and brownshirts to come back, it would be so "Retro".

OK, you too. Free membership. I know some folks that camo their asses up to go road hunting, and I always say "Do you think that if the deer see a disembodied head driving a Duramax that makes 'em stand longer?"

I get a lot of dirty looks.

I'm getting used to it.

krazy
09-25-2009, 08:56 PM
camo shmamo

Shooter
09-25-2009, 09:17 PM
I do wear camo, but more for the other aspects that the camo gear generally has. Being on the wet coast I like to have a quiet set of waterproof gear. Usually that ends up being camo. Most hunting (camo) gear is situated with pockets and such better than regular jeans/coats. I also prefer having dedicated hunting clothes so I don't wreck everything else if they get all blood and guts. Camo hides stains well lol. I agree %100 that movement sound and smell is far more important than camo.

I just checked out the ASAT site and the have youth gear on dirt cheap in the clearance section. They ran a batch with some wrong dye that fades more than usual so they are almost giving it away. I got my boy some on order. $10 pants and $15 jacket. How do you go wrong?

Johnnybear
09-27-2009, 09:44 PM
I just checked out the ASAT site and the have youth gear on dirt cheap in the clearance section. They ran a batch with some wrong dye that fades more than usual so they are almost giving it away. I got my boy some on order. $10 pants and $15 jacket. How do you go wrong?

You can't go wrong with that pricing Shooter:-D. Good deal IMO. I bought my son some camo gear last year and it's toast now for size. I might give it away on here some how. At least some young buck with get some use out of it. They grow like weeds:???:.

30.06 Hunter
09-28-2009, 05:21 PM
I do wear camo, but more for the other aspects that the camo gear generally has. Being on the wet coast I like to have a quiet set of waterproof gear. Usually that ends up being camo. Most hunting (camo) gear is situated with pockets and such better than regular jeans/coats. I also prefer having dedicated hunting clothes so I don't wreck everything else if they get all blood and guts. Camo hides stains well lol. I agree %100 that movement sound and smell is far more important than camo.

Explains perfectly why I wear the camo. I didn't for years and was always envious of my buddy who stayed warmer and drier.

Night Hawk 3
10-31-2009, 11:17 AM
I never used to wear camo, and wore neutral tones in solid colours. I wear camo now, but mostly it's essentially my hunting uniform and some of the products are just really comfortable, well made, and suit the task at hand.

My pants are inexpensive Columbia fleece lined pants that seem to take a beating and are warm and comfortable. They are also a couple of sizes too big so that I can layer fleece and long underwear when the weather gets colder.

I just bought a fleece jacket by Rocky that is wind and water resistant. The quality is good, and the product is quiet and comfortable. The camo pattern is a bonus. I have not seen such a jacket at places like MEC... the nylon shoulders and trim is way too noisy, and their fleece lets the chilling wind through.

Do I think camo is required? No. Do I think it can help? Sure, in certain circumstances it can make a fair difference, such as when bow hunting.

Other things I am convinced that help are breaking up the pattern of the human face (face paint, camo covers etc.), and covering up one's hands - especially if bow hunting.

One thing that is sure to get you busted, if you're not hidden, is the human outline - pretty much regardless of what you're wearing.

The issues of scent, noise, and movement are a given. In fact, I'm convinced that most new/inexperienced hunters fail badly on the movement and noise issues more than anything else.

And, given the nature of ungulate vision, most of the neutral-toned plaids and wool clothing can make excellent camo patterns. Fabrics that have been treated with optical brighteners are a certain failure point.

NH3

pitbell
10-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Sitka Gear in partnership with Gore's Optifade IMO is the best camo pattern ever developed. It was designed by scientists based on ungulate vision.
Here's some pics of it in action.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm51/bcandbeyond/2009%20Mountain%20Caribou/2009MountainCaribouAdventure019-1.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm51/bcandbeyond/2009%20Mountain%20Caribou/2009MountainCaribouAdventure028-1.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm51/bcandbeyond/2009%20Mountain%20Caribou/2009MountainCaribouAdventure083-1.jpg