PDA

View Full Version : Del Rio area?

Hunterguy
09-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Was wondering if anyone was familar with the Del Rio area, 7-32 thinking of maybe venturing that way the last two weeks of Oct. Camp areas etc.

sako_300
09-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Lot's of guys are familiar with this area - it's like little germany out there right now, hunting camps at every pullout. The rain last night would have made the roads a little slick...

RiverBoatFantasy
09-17-2009, 07:52 AM
One of the most awful places I have ever hunted. No fresh, clean water, stinks like sour gas, roads become almost impassable with slight rain, and a bunch of truck riding hunters that feel they own the area. No thanks. Never again.

Kody94
09-17-2009, 08:29 AM
I hunted it in the early to mid '80's and it was awesome. Its tough for me to visit it now.

In fact, a few years ago I lived just a short drive from it...and hardly every went in there, except on business.

... and a bunch of truck riding hunters that feel they own the area. ....

:eek: Am I sensing a theme? :lol:

RiverBoatFantasy
09-17-2009, 09:28 AM
I hunted it in the early to mid '80's and it was awesome. Its tough for me to visit it now.

In fact, a few years ago I lived just a short drive from it...and hardly every went in there, except on business.

:eek: Am I sensing a theme? :lol:

Naw, no theme here. It never happens when I go by riverboat or floaterplane or pony. People are civil and very polite.

When you pull into a spot in the dark and have flashlights flashing at you it gets to be a bit much. Like I knew you were hiding behind that gas well shack in the dark! The one guy that knocked on my truck window in the dark and woke me up got a good hard slap. Nobody saw it happen. It was dark.:p

P.S. your business didn't happen to have anything to do with the mechanical bull elk that I chopped the horns off of? I did see a corporate service vehicle from "Mechanical Decoy Repair" in there a few years back.

Kody94
09-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Naw, no theme here. It never happens when I go by riverboat or floaterplane or pony. People are civil and very polite.

When you pull into a spot in the dark and have flashlights flashing at you it gets to be a bit much. Like I knew you were hiding behind that gas well shack in the dark! The one guy that knocked on my truck window in the dark and woke me up got a good hard slap. Nobody saw it happen. It was dark.:p

P.S. your business didn't happen to have anything to do with the mechanical bull elk that I chopped the horns off of? I did see a corporate service vehicle from "Mechanical Decoy Repair" in there a few years back.

I've flown into a place where folks weren't all that civil or polite...and have heard of worse. Azzholes are where you find 'em, I guess. ;)

Nope...not in the mechanical wildlife biz. Creating wildlife habitat and maintaining/enhancing biodiversity while generating wealth from ecosystem management and conservation....when there's demand for houses or paper, anyway. ;)

The horn chopping sounds like an interesting story.

RiverBoatFantasy
09-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Nice thing these days is the reduction in industrial traffic. Used to be kinda scary when the high speed tridems loaded with aspen came roaring around the 90 degree corners.

RiverBoatFantasy
09-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Ha ha ha. Must of been Ursine packing em in like sardines.

Dee plane, dee plane. Look boss more hunters. Dee plane, dee plane!

Kody94
09-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Nice thing these days is the reduction in industrial traffic. Used to be kinda scary when the high speed tridems loaded with aspen came roaring around the 90 degree corners.
Frozen 8 ft aspen bolts are slippery like salmon....but a lot harder on your pick-me-up truck when you get whacked by one.

Ha ha ha. Must of been Ursine packing em in like sardines.

Dee plane, dee plane. Look boss more hunters. Dee plane, dee plane!

Unfriendly outfitter actually.

RiverBoatFantasy
09-17-2009, 01:32 PM
I've flown into a place where folks weren't all that civil or polite...and have heard of worse. Azzholes are where you find 'em, I guess. :wink:

I had a similar situation once. The outfitter thought that I was going to scoop a ram.

09-17-2009, 01:38 PM
I've flown into a place where folks weren't all that civil or polite...and have heard of worse. Azzholes are where you find 'em, I guess. :wink:

I had a similar situation once. The outfitter thought that I was going to scoop a ram.

Serves you right for wanting to shoot his ram.

RiverBoatFantasy
09-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Serves you right for wanting to shoot his ram.

Whats the scoop? There was a ram scooped at Scoop.

09-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Whats the scoop? There was a ram scooped at Scoop.

LOL. You are so subtle.:lol:

RiverBoatFantasy
09-17-2009, 07:44 PM

I was hoping you'd have got it the first time:cool:

09-17-2009, 08:23 PM
I was hoping you'd have got it the first time:cool:

I've actually never used a guide. I needed a bit more of a prod before it clicked.;)

Pioneerman
09-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Off topic lol. I used to hunt Del rio for a few years in the early 80's. It was amazing. you come around the corner and there was a camp of 11 guys with 10 moose hanging and they were only there two days so far. I can't find the picture I took or i would post it. I was logging back up in Chetwynd about 8 years ago and I drove out there and didn't recognize the area , so I have not hunted back there at all

RiverBoatFantasy
09-17-2009, 09:23 PM
I've actually never used a guide. I needed a bit more of a prod before it clicked.;)

You cant help but get to know these folks when you spend time in thier areas. Always good to be nice and polite because they will likely be the ones helping you out of a jam. Polite and scoop OK. Arse and scoop not OK.

RiverBoatFantasy
09-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Off topic lol. I used to hunt Del rio for a few years in the early 80's. It was amazing. you come around the corner and there was a camp of 11 guys with 10 moose hanging and they were only there two days so far. I can't find the picture I took or i would post it. I was logging back up in Chetwynd about 8 years ago and I drove out there and didn't recognize the area , so I have not hunted back there at all

Did they have rented reefer trucks and home made wine stacked high on pallets?

leadpillproductions
09-17-2009, 10:14 PM
there is a ton of hunters but lots of game it's worth hunting out there