PDA

View Full Version : illuminated nocks?

boatdoc
09-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Anybody use a lighted nock? If so what brand and why. Because i'm colour blind i don't know what colour will work for me but would like to try some.

Bow Walker
09-16-2009, 07:35 PM
PM bochunk2000 - he likes the original Burt Coyote brand. Don't argue with success.

brad ferris
09-16-2009, 08:41 PM
i really like the easton tracers. shot the heck out of them for about a year and never failed.they do occasionaly turn on when they are tapped against something but it usually takes a pretty decent hit.i shot the luminocks by burnt coyote for a couple years as well but i don't like there system. sometimes a hard hit causes the nock to pop back out and turn off.also the stobe feature on the tracers gives you 90 hours of burn time. the luminocks were about 12 when i was shooting them. G5 also has one out but i don't know anything about it but its G5 so it should be pretty good.

brotherjack
09-16-2009, 08:41 PM
I use the Burt Coyote brand also. Works great for me.

Buck
09-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Good info on the nocks.I have decided to get some as i shot at a nice buck last week thought my aim was true but i could not find the arrow no blood.It is difficult to watch an arrow in flight at times can you see the arrow fly to its target well with the nocks?

The Hermit
09-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Lighted nocks rock!! Just don't use them at 3D shoots... all your buddies will want you to shoot first so they have a lighted target! LOL

bochunk2000
09-20-2009, 04:04 PM
I find with the speed of the arrow the nock turns into a kind of laser right to the deer. Then it goes out and that's where you hit it. It doesn't really go out but it looks like it as it passes throught the chest. I love them on my hunting arrows. They really help with knowing exactly where you hit.
Steve

boatdoc
09-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Good info, i am going to try some , there sure are many kinds but all seem to work on the same principal. I'll post up a review.

The Hermit
09-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Don't buy the ones with the little magnet that you attach to the bow... they don't work with a poop! If you get the tight fitting Luminock for your arrow make/size they will work great!!!

Riverjet
09-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Firenocks for me!

MikeH
09-29-2009, 09:56 PM
I want to try illuminated nocks myself, would enjoy them hunting and especially when I practice at low light.

Onesock
10-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Bill when you shoot first and we watch your nock we all miss the target. You're right, you shouldn't shoot first if you are going to use those things. HA

jrjonesy
10-07-2009, 08:10 AM
I tried to do a fair bit of research and it seemed like Firenocks were the most reliable. I don't know if it's the batteries or what but they weren't very consistent for me. Sometimes they wouldn't light until the second shot and on the deer I shot earlier this year it didn't light. I had just installed it about 2 weeks earlier and only shot that particular nock about 10 times. the batteries shouldn't have been dead.

M@B
11-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Don't know if anyone cares too much about scoring your larger animals with Pope and Young (I don't personally) but these nocks would make your animal inelegable for thier record books.
just a thought for those who care about such things.

Regards, Matt

Bow Walker
11-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Don't know if anyone cares too much about scoring your larger animals with Pope and Young (I don't personally) but these nocks would make your animal inelegable for thier record books.
just a thought for those who care about such things.

:confused:Regards, Matt
You mean that using nocks that light after they're fired, and that aid in the humane/quick harvest of said large racked buck will disqualify that bick from being measured by the legendary duo of Pope and Young?!?:eek:

What a seemingly stupid rule.

IMHO - just another reason for ignoring both of them, and that other institution known as Boone & Crockett.:evil:

huntwriter
11-10-2009, 09:38 PM
What a seemingly stupid rule.

Yep it is and they have many such little rules, like illuminated sight pins or the bow scope thingys that were very popular at one time, than can exclude you from entering.

While I personally don't see any need for illuminated nocks - to each his/her own is cool with me - I agree that this is a silly P&Y rule. I use white nocks and white feather for many years. Never had a deer spook and always have seen where the arrow enters the target.

pghntr
11-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Hey Guys, know anywhere I can pick up a few of the Burt Coyote brand in BC to try out?

Thanks!

Bow Walker
11-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Go into any archery store - if they have a decent stock of products, they should have them hanging on the wall.

Failing that - go online.

M@B
11-11-2009, 11:23 AM
yeah Bow walker I agree it's kind of a dumb rule but here's the "rules of fair chase"

http://www.pope-young.org/bowhunting_fairchase.asp
check out the 7th point.

The Hermit
11-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm mostly keen on them as I can find arrows afterwards. Nocks $10 each but finding one arrow that you would otherwise have lost pays for it! I figure that is a great return on investment... probably saved $100s of dollars by now! LOL

huntwriter
11-11-2009, 11:56 AM
yeah Bow walker I agree it's kind of a dumb rule but here's the "rules of fair chase"

http://www.pope-young.org/bowhunting_fairchase.asp
check out the 7th point.

I use to support P&Y until they released a media statement, two years ago when the popularity of crossbows gained momentum in America, in which P&Y defamed crossbows as "unethical". The media release went to all major newspapers in America and TV stations. With that silly stunt P&Y did more in support if the anti hunters then for the hunters.

This organization is so hopelessly out of touch with reality it's not funny anymore. BTW - Did you know. When compound bows became popular they strongly opposed them too. At first P&Y opposed any calls, not only electronic calls, and scent usage too. :wink:

Bow Walker
11-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Has anyone asked P&Y the specific question about illuminated nocks?

M@B
11-11-2009, 01:22 PM
I haven't but, I hear that they are very sticky about the rules. A friend of mine denied access to the record book with a monster black bear because he had a range finder mounted on his bow.

and it states clearly that you are to not have any electronic devise on the bow or the arrow.

P&Y is BS anyway!! lol!

huntwriter
11-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I haven't but, I hear that they are very sticky about the rules. A friend of mine denied access to the record book with a monster black bear because he had a range finder mounted on his bow.

and it states clearly that you are to not have any electronic devise on the bow or the arrow.

P&Y is BS anyway!! lol!

Remember when the string tracking devices mounted on a bow were fashionable? P&Y opposed them too, calling it an "unfair advantage".

I am sure if the illuminated nocks have any device in them, micro chip or chemical, that initiates illumination it is opposed.