PDA

View Full Version : Pants and Backpack Question

WaterSkeeter
09-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Hey everyone,

I am looking for some good hiking pants. I usually wear Carharts and have 1 pair from MEC. Just curious as what everyone else wears to hike when out hunting. I do allot of bushwhacking and exploring for game when im out.

Also,

I am looking for a good backpack for hunting. and prefer if it has a spot to bring an extra gun on it. It only has to be a 1-2 day pack. Theres so many out there I figured this would be the place to get the info on good packs.

thanks

BlacktailStalker
09-16-2009, 12:42 PM
I like the Sitka Acent pants, have 2 pairs of those and several pairs of those light weight North Face convertibles.

DOnt know of many packs only designed for 1-2 days that would pack an extra rifle, I'm sure you could strap one to any pack though.
Look at the eberlestock J104, it has a scabbard. You could add a kifaru bun bearer to the shoulder strap and it would hold both your shooting rifle in the gun bearer and the spare in the scabbard.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-16-2009, 12:44 PM
For a pack I would look at one of the Eberlestock packs.....like the J107. Built in scabbord and can haul whatever you can....compacts down really nice when not full. Can also be used with a bow holder.

The perfect pants?? Still looking.

SSS

WaterSkeeter
09-16-2009, 12:49 PM
thanks guys, also forgot to add that ti has to be pretty weather proof as I hunt in all weather types.

huntcoop
09-16-2009, 12:49 PM
I will also say that the Eberlestock packs are awesome, I have the J104 and it's great.

For pants I have heard that MEC or Mountain Hardwear makes some quality products. I know others on here will chime in on the pants subject.

MichaelB
09-16-2009, 12:53 PM
For packs you can't go wrong with either Eberlestock or Badlands. I just bought a new badlands 4500 for this season and packed 85lbs 15k in to our hunting spot last week, and 15k out with no problem. Ultra comfortable. The J104 or 107 from Eberlestock also is a great pack but will hold the weight much further back from the body. If you have a bad back, I'd stay away from them.
Look on the Badlands website www.badlandspack.com (http://www.badlandspack.com) and look through their options. I guarantee you'll find a pack that meets your needs.

MB

WaterSkeeter
09-16-2009, 12:55 PM
For packs you can't go wrong with either Eberlestock or Badlands. I just bought a new badlands 4500 for this season and packed 85lbs 15k in to our hunting spot last week, and 15k out with no problem. Ultra comfortable. The J104 or 107 from Eberlestock also is a great pack but will hold the weight much further back from the body. If you have a bad back, I'd stay away from them.
Look on the Badlands website www.badlandspack.com (http://www.badlandspack.com) and look through their options. I guarantee you'll find a pack that meets your needs.

MB

I have heard lots of good things about badlands, ill check them out, thanks

Kody94
09-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Check out the Badlands packs while you are at it. I have the 2200 and like it a fair bit. The 2800 might be just what you are looking for.

I am also still looking when it comes to pants. I crank out a tonne of heat, and don't need much insulation on my legs (and generally dislike it, until November anyway), so I generally just use MEC Rad pants for backpacking and most backpack hunting.

Maxx
09-16-2009, 01:17 PM
the perfect pants are ----- Sporthill Expedition pants. Breathable, wind resistant, and stretchy for hiking. I will not go in the mountains without them,

http://www.sporthill.com/product.php?TypeID=1650&gender=m

or they have a new hunting section. http://sporthillhunting.com/cold-pants.php

FYI= their shirts are great too.

Kody94
09-16-2009, 01:20 PM
the perfect pants are ----- Sporthill Expedition pants. Breathable, wind resistant, and stretchy for hiking. I will not go in the mountains without them,

http://www.sporthill.com/product.php?TypeID=1650&gender=m

or they have a new hunting section. http://sporthillhunting.com/cold-pants.php

FYI= their shirts are great too.

Those look pretty decent. Are they noisy? Is there a BC distributor, or do you order them direct?

Maxx
09-16-2009, 01:47 PM
they are not noisy at all, I have always ordered direct from. They make great clothes....

Maxx
09-16-2009, 01:49 PM
for you tall guys, you can order them with extra length in the legs.

todbartell
09-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Sitka 90% pants might be a very good choice if $ isnt a big concern

as for packs for 1-2 days I would check out the Eberlestock X1 or Dragonfly packs, or Badlands 2800

huntcoop
09-17-2009, 09:05 AM
....so I generally just use MEC Rad pants for backpacking and most backpack hunting.

On their website MEC is only showing these pants for woman, wonder if they are being discontinued...

Kody94
09-17-2009, 09:17 AM
On their website MEC is only showing these pants for woman, wonder if they are being discontinued...

I ordered a couple pair just a few months ago, and I see they are in the most recent catalogue.

I just tried the website, and the link for men's clothing is not working at all.

Amphibious
09-17-2009, 09:59 AM
I like the Sitka Acent pants, have 2 pairs of those and several pairs of those light weight North Face convertibles.

DOnt know of many packs only designed for 1-2 days that would pack an extra rifle, I'm sure you could strap one to any pack though.
Look at the eberlestock J104, it has a scabbard. You could add a kifaru bun bearer to the shoulder strap and it would hold both your shooting rifle in the gun bearer and the spare in the scabbard.

+1 on all of the above. my first season with the Ascent pants. super durable. they really impress me.

my daypack is a Eberlestock X1 and I love it, but it's a little to small for an overnight bag. will be looking at their Just1 for next season.

Stop Shopping at MEC if you love Hunting & Fishing.

MB_Boy
09-17-2009, 10:11 AM

x 2.....I went in there for the first time in 12-13 years the other day just because I was in the neighborhood. Full of "huggin' hippies" and too many staff that have no idea what they are talking about other than directing you to the right department like a flight attendant pointing out washrooms and emergency exits on a plane.

As for good pants.....if "camo" isn't a necessity and depending on your needs I have a pair of these pants which are pretty tough and breathable and great for hiking although a bit more pricey. I haven't been in a torrential downpour with them but have been out in the rain and they are not 100% waterproof but they do repel it pretty well.

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Mens/Pants-Shorts/Gamma-AR-Pant

Arcteryx does have a factory store in North Vancouver which if you knew the size you want you may be able to get a better deal on them.

Kody94
09-17-2009, 10:12 AM

I agree, but I am hoping to help change them by being on the bus helping steer, rather than standing out in front of it or just boycotting it.

Everyone should sign up for their feed-back questionaires. I use every one to tell them how I feel about their exclusion of a number of legitimate outdoor activities, not the least of which are hunting and fishing.

huntcoop
09-17-2009, 11:11 AM
I ordered a couple pair just a few months ago, and I see they are in the most recent catalogue..

SSSSter, FYI...I just phoned and they are no longer making the RAD pant but are now calling it the R2K. Different pockets and cuff.

Kody94
09-17-2009, 11:12 AM
SSSSter, FYI...I just phoned and they are no longer making the RAD pant but are now calling it the R2K. Different pockets and cuff.

That sux! Shoulda put a couple more on my order.

JeffR
09-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I still like the wool army surplus pants. They are great in all weather, never too hot or cold, work great when wet, won't melt when you get near a fire, they take a beating and they are cheap.

As for the backpack, have you considered putting a kifaru gunbearer on a regular pack? For that matter, if you plan on packing a second gun, I don't imagine you would need quick access to it, so you could always lash it to you pack with webbing. Don't need a special pack for that.

nomad
09-17-2009, 05:41 PM
I have the 2800 badlands pack and love it! Found one at Dave's in lynden Wa. for $180 . In hotter weather you'll get warm on the back as it form fits but not a major problem.

As for pants I'm watching this thread for good input too! Had to throw the old garbage bags on,just taped up the legs! Just to get through the real wet stuff then off they go. Does anyone use the hikers leggings? Just pull up like a set of hip waders? I think those yuppy snowshoe'rs use them up the local hills around vanc.