PDA

View Full Version : Guide Question?

Theo
09-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Hey There,

A couple of years back I remember hunting in this one region where I came across this sign posted in a tree at the entrance of a side road that said "Private Road - Guide Camp" I didn't think anything of it at the time and didn't turn down that road.

Well I'm heading back up into that area in a couple of days and was spending a little time (hours) on Google earth just checking thing's out when I noticed that the
"Private Road - Guide Camp" road goes in about 10-12K and has a bunch of clear cut's on it. I've heard before that guides will just post up signs saying no hunting or closed area trying to chase away residential hunter's but I thought I would just double check to see if:

Can Guides Actually close down a road or area to residential hunter's if it's on crown land?

Thanks in advance

lip_ripper00
09-16-2009, 09:02 AM
no they can't, I gotta ask 7-23?

tomahawk
09-16-2009, 09:07 AM
I would recommend that you find out from the Gov of BC whether it is private or public road before you venture into that territory. If they tell you its public get the name of the Gov rep and there phone number who gave you the info and if you have any confrontations with the outfitter, tell them what you have discovered and give the agents name and number. That usually calms the outfitter when they know that you have the "correct info" regarding the road.

Theo
09-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Not this time but I did sort of come across the same situation about 4 years ago in 7-33 & 7-45 with Pink Mountain Outfitters... Just kept giving us a hard time everytime we crossed path's saying were not allowed to be here and stuff.

Well that's good to know, this time I will be a little more vocal about the situation!

elkdom
09-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Licensed GO's in BC cannot post any Crown land as "NO HUNTING",

a BC licensed GO can only accompany hunters for PAY in their allotted area/zone!,

its up to the resident hunter to KNOW what is Crown Land and call Bull$hit when encountering such Posted areas, some GO's have land holdings "titled or leased land", but under NO circumstances can the GO impede hunting on Crown Land by a resident hunter, or anyone else having the desire to tread there!

but some will try!:evil:

Theo
09-16-2009, 09:29 AM
This might be a stupid question but what's the best way to go about finding out if it is crown land or not... I'm 98% sure it is crown but I would like to be 100% and prove it to them if a situation should arise.

I'm searching the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands website right now but I can see how someone can get lost trying to find the information their looking for.

Is there also a Fact sheet what Outfitter's can and con not do more specified to help residential hunter's? If there is it would be nice to print on off and carry it with you so incase a conflict does happen you have the facts their in front of you.

elkdom
09-16-2009, 09:42 AM
This might be a stupid question but what's the best way to go about finding out if it is crown land or not... I'm 98% sure it is crown but I would like to be 100% and prove it to them if a situation should arise.

I'm searching the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands website right now but I can see how someone can get lost trying to find the information their looking for.

Is there also a Fact sheet what Outfitter's can and con not do more specified to help residential hunter's? If there is it would be nice to print on off and carry it with you so incase a conflict does happen you have the facts their in front of you.

for example here in 7B there are maps available called "Land Status Maps" very detailed and showing titled and leased land and showing the landowners name on each parcel, these are privately produced and are expensive, as these maps are compiled by a consulting firm and it takes huge amounts of effort to produce, also there are Regional district maps and BC Assessment records to view, time consuming and tiresome , also Ministry of Highways and Forestry Maps and Energy Mines and Resources maps,

not something to attempt when your about to leave for a trip,,

Kody94
09-16-2009, 10:23 AM
The one place that they can get ya is if its crown land leased or permitted for livestock grazing. Often times the Outfitter will have grazing leases or permits in the vicinity of their base camp.

3. Wildlife Act (Section 39) - A person is
not permitted to hunt on cultivated land
or on Crown land which is subject to a
grazing lease while the land is occupied
by livestock, without the consent of the
owner, lessee or occupant of the land.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-16-2009, 10:29 AM
The one place that they can get ya is if its crown land leased or permitted for livestock grazing. Often times the Outfitter will have grazing leases or permits in the vicinity of their base camp.

You may not be able to hunt while the livestock is present on a crown grazing lease but you still should be able to pass through. No??

SSS

09-16-2009, 11:36 AM

Contact the Land Titles Office.
http://www.ltsa.ca/

RiverOtter
09-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Wildlife Act

(Section 39) - A person is

not permitted to hunt on cultivated land
or on Crown land which is subject to a
grazing lease while the land is occupied
by livestock, without the consent of the

owner, lessee or occupant of the land.

WOW!, if I'm understanding that correctly, there would be very few spots in the Okanagan(Pretty much nil in my area) that a guy could legally hunt, if'n cows present signified that a guy couldn't hunt there without permission.....

Kody94
09-16-2009, 01:10 PM
You may not be able to hunt while the livestock is present on a crown grazing lease but you still should be able to pass through. No??

SSS

Yep...as far as I know anyway.

WOW!, if I'm understanding that correctly, there would be very few spots in the Okanagan(Pretty much nil in my area) that a guy could legally hunt, if'n cows present signified that a guy couldn't hunt there without permission.....

Same for most of the Trench, lots of the Cariboo, etc etc. Fortunately, this one is seldom enforced (ie. only if the permit/leaseholder makes a complaint, and most of them are wise enough not to do that unless there is a real problem).

willy442
09-16-2009, 03:25 PM

SSS

Read the ministries definition of hunting. You can go through as long as you are not packing a weapon. Livestock must be off the range by Oct 1st. Then you can hunt. Most places are grazed right off though by then.

RiverOtter
09-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Pretty sure this locale is Oct 31 for cows to be off the range. Like there is anything we can do about it anyway, as the weather dictates when the cows come down......

Ozone
09-16-2009, 04:23 PM
I have heard about guys using signs saying "Active Logging No Admitance" to keep people out of areas, now I dont even read signs.

Kody94
09-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Pretty sure this locale is Oct 31 for cows to be off the range. Like there is anything we can do about it anyway, as the weather dictates when the cows come down......

Lots of places vary. Oct 31 is pretty common, and extensions into November aren't unheard of.

I don't believe just carrying a firearm constitutes hunting.

jackpine
09-16-2009, 04:39 PM
5-15? it is convenient how the access to the alpine is also behind that gate.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-16-2009, 05:01 PM
[b][font=GillSans-Bold][size=2][color=#231f20][font=GillSans-Bold][size=2][color=#231f20][font=GillSans-Bold][size=2][color=#231f20]

Reg 8, Reg3 and a lot of Reg4 as well.

Can't say I've been to too many places early season without seeing cattle.

SSS

blacklab
09-16-2009, 05:01 PM
There is a difference between permit range land and leased range land,leased range is usually adjacent to the private ranch property.
The majority of crown land is permit range and livestock owners only pay for the grass.

Fisher-Dude
09-16-2009, 05:03 PM
There's a difference between a grazing lease and a grazing permit. Grazing leases are rather rare, and RO there aren't many in the Okanagan. Grazing permits do not give the permit holder any right to determine your access rights. S 39 of the Wildlife Act applies to leases only.

Kody94
09-16-2009, 05:16 PM
There's a difference between a grazing lease and a grazing permit. Grazing leases are rather rare, and RO there aren't many in the Okanagan. Grazing permits do not give the permit holder any right to determine your access rights. S 39 of the Wildlife Act applies to leases only.

Yepper...you are right based on the lingo in the synopsis. Lots of grazing leases in the Peace Country though, and not entirely uncommon in/around GO base camps from what I understand.

We have some here in Reg 4e that I am aware of too.

Sniperdan
09-16-2009, 05:20 PM
If there is a road leading to Crown land, you can use that road to access the Crown land even if that road runs through private land. The landowner cannot deny you access to the crown land. The only thing is that you MUST stay on the road while travelling through the private land if it is posted.

Fisher-Dude
09-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Reg 8, Reg3 and a lot of Reg4 as well.

Can't say I've been to too many places early season without seeing cattle.

SSS

Yeah, that stripe of cow shit up your back from riding the TW through the pies is good cover scent eh? :biggrin:

demlake
09-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Who's in charge of rangeland? The Forest Service?

Might be worth a call to the local district office as to who has leases and where? Just a guess.

Fisher-Dude
09-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Who's in charge of rangeland? The Forest Service?

Might be worth a call to the local district office as to who has leases and where? Just a guess.

Yes and yes.