PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunting

Dhegg
09-15-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm looking for a little info on elk calling. I've been practicing my mews and bugles hard. I'm wondering about the different call types ie. locating, grunts, chirps, etc. i would assume that some of the calls are as the name dictates.

What would any of you suggest as resources?

I'm in Prince George and am planning a hunt for elk/moose/deer this weekend in the area of MU's 7-14, 7-15, and 7-24. My other question is, are the elk still in rut or has it passed in this area?

lightmag
09-15-2009, 12:53 PM
elk rut is on now and starting to peak, that being said you can still call bulls in right until thes season closes oct 9. The "power " bugle is great, fairly easy to use and a great sound to it. Can't beat the hoochie mama for cow calls and it is super easy to use. mouth diaphrams are the best (hands free) but take time and pratice to master. no elk sounds the same, i vary me cow calls, long, short, soft, loud, high low etc.. same with bugels, less is better usually, locate with bugle, the move in and cow call, i like to keep my bugels sounding a little smaller and not too aggressive so i don't scare off the smaller yet legal bulls, that being said sometimes you need to get on top of them and roar at them to get their blood boiling.
BUlls seem to be coming in quiet more and more lately (for me anyways) BUsh seesm empty afgter a 30-45 minutes of calling and then there is one standing 60 yards from you.. pateince and keep with it.

elkdom
09-15-2009, 12:59 PM
elk rut is on now and starting to peak, that being said you can still call bulls in right until thes season closes oct 9. The "power " bugle is great, fairly easy to use and a great sound to it. Can't beat the hoochie mama for cow calls and it is super easy to use. mouth diaphrams are the best (hands free) but take time and pratice to master. no elk sounds the same, i vary me cow calls, long, short, soft, loud, high low etc.. same with bugels, less is better usually, locate with bugle, the move in and cow call, i like to keep my bugels sounding a little smaller and not too aggressive so i don't scare off the smaller yet legal bulls, that being said sometimes you need to get on top of them and roar at them to get their blood boiling.
BUlls seem to be coming in quiet more and more lately (for me anyways) BUsh seesm empty afgter a 30-45 minutes of calling and then there is one standing 60 yards from you.. pateince and keep with it.

X2, what he say's and it helps if you stink like elk PEE ! cow in heat scent! :wink:

lightmag
09-15-2009, 01:47 PM
X2, what he say's and it helps if you stink like elk PEE ! cow in heat scent! :wink:

lol, forgot to mention that, i spray myself with horny elk pee, elk love it, hides your scent and the Wife thinks i'm disgusting, lol.... but seriously, once i started using scent my elk encounters went up.

todbartell
09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
walk down logging roads and bugle every 50 yards. cow call on your hoochie mama every other step. This is the preferred tactic for moose-turned-elk hunters in the region. If you're a really savy hunter you will zap strap the hoochie to the handle bars of your atv :D

brotherjack
09-15-2009, 03:18 PM
walk down logging roads and bugle every 50 yards. cow call on your hoochie mama every other step. This is the preferred tactic for moose-turned-elk hunters in the region. If you're a really savy hunter you will zap strap the hoochie to the handle bars of your atv :D

About half the "elk hunters" in the EK that I run into in the bush do it just like that, except they don't walk down the logging road, they just ride the quad. Even during bow season. I'm pretty sure those guys aren't getting their elk very often, though. :)