PDA

View Full Version : A Quest Comes to an End

Gus
09-14-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm trying my hand at story writing. Havent written one since high school so feel free to skip it :smile:

A Quest Comes to an End

5 years ago I took an interest in goat hunting. I was in school and working Saturdays so to say the least, my time was short and valuable. I put in for an LEH that was recommended to me and I ended up getting the draw. That year I made it out for a couple quick scouting trips and only one quick hunt but no goats were spotted. However, that year forced me to become more exposed to mountains than I had ever been before and it caused an addiction to which I believe I will never find a cure. This was the start of my quest for a mountain goat.
By the following year my interest was evolving into more of a passion and I began researching information on goats as well as areas and tried talking to people who had hunted goats before to try and pick up on any type of helpful hints I could. None of my direct hunting partners had ever hunted goats, much less killed one, so I was basically on my own. I again put in for the same draw but was unsuccessful so I focused that year on my regular hunts. I always kept in mind my new found goal and never missed an opportunity to glass a potential height of land or listen intently to a goat hunting story that might be shared.
Year three brought me another successful LEH for the same zone. One scouting trip and two quick hunts again brought on no goat sightings. Although I tried for more hunts, time and weather just was not conducive to goat hunting. My passion had continued to grow and was now a full on obsession. I was questioning anybody I could, including members here on HBC, and scouring every piece of map, literature, or photo on the subject. I was doing whatever I could to learn more and more about what I was beginning to think was a mythical creature and the areas they inhabit.
Year four was no different. Again I put in for that area but was unsuccessful. During a spring bear hunt my hunting partner and I took the time to go glass an area that we had heard was good for goat viewing. The weather was bad but we ended up finding a good number of goats. My first goats... I watched them for a few hours, taking note of the locations on the mountains, practicing identifying the sex, where they were bedding and so on. During the summer I took a few scouting trips into a GOS area and on one of these trips goats were spotted, several nannies as well as one good billy. Now I was excited as the following week the season opened. Opening day found me and a buddy glassing the same hills that only a week or two prior held numerous goats, only to find they were empty. Although empty handed once again, I felt this year I had learned a lot.
Year five. Although I was no longer working weekends, or going to school, my new job didn’t grant me holidays until one year of service, which means this current hunting season is strictly weekends. That meant no sheep hunting as I did the previous year, no extended elk hunt like I was used to, and of course, severe restrictions on goat hunting. Because of this I put my LEH in for the same zone I had been as I now know the area very well and I would be able to maximize my time into hunting. A scouting trip into the area this summer again brought up no goats. The definition of insanity began playing on my mind and I began wondering exactly what the hell I was doing. I took one more scouting trip close to the start of the season, more or less to check out some access points and as me and my buddy happened to be glassing a certain junk of rock, there he lay. FINALLY! Apparently there ARE goats in this area!
I had an elk hunt planned for the following weekend so he would have to wait. Less than two weeks later found me and my partner quadding in the dark into a spot we had picked out to camp and we hit the sleeping bags about 1:00 am. Up at 6:00am and gearing up for the hike into the area we had seen the goat. After an absolute gruelling day we arrived at the top of the world at 3:30 pm. Beautiful view and some good spots to glass. I hadn’t even had a chance to drop my pack when I looked down below and spotted two goats feeding waaaay down at the bottom of the ridge. After a quick view through the spotter I decided they were both billies and come hell or high water, I was killing one. The problem was we would have to come down the mountain in plain sight, or come around behind but be upwind. I decided I would rather have them watch me than smell me so off we went. 2 ½ hours later we were sitting 200m from the goats, which were now bedded down. I zoomed the spotter in on them and confirmed both were billies. Billy #1 was in a shootable position, though a hard shot, was definitely doable. His horns seemed to be just a little longer than billy#2, but billy #2 seemed like he had just a little heavier bases. I decided I wanted billy #2, but in order for shot, I would have to move closer. This worried me because once we moved from our location we would lose sight of them until we were right on top. We slowly worked our way down hill dropping our packs and creeping along when suddenly, at about 70 yards, I saw a goat get up and quickly move to my left. He came around to face me head on and just stared at me. An easy kill but I didn’t know if he was billy#1 or #2. Panic was beginning to set in as I know they were going to bust out at any moment. I moved up to my right as the goat watched me until I was able to see that billy#2 was still in his bed. I began to move back to my left so i could circle in to a shooting position when billy#1 decided this was enough and bolted. Now I really panicked. Did I just blow it? Should I have took the shot at billy#1? I jumped up on a rock and prayed that billy#2 would get up and present a shot as his buddy flew by. As if on cue, he got up and started to trot off after billy #1. As he left, he turned his head back to see what the commotion was about just enough to pull his right shoulder out and there was 168gr ttsx on its way. At the shot the goat stopped dead in his tracks and turned broadside. I levelled the rifle for another shot and squeezed the trigger. Nothing happened. I jacked another shell and again, nothing happened. The gun wasn’t even misfiring, just nothing would happened. I tried re-cocking the gun but by this time the goat had turned and was facing straight away. I waited and waited and finally he laid down. He was now broadside again, but still my gun would not fire. I tossed my gun aside just as my buddy was reaching his over to me. I chambered a shell and now sent a 140gr accubond into the billy, toppling him over for a short roll down the hill.
So there he was, 5 years later and I had killed my first goat. I have killed a lot of animals that I’m proud of but this guy takes it. Everything I know about goat hunting I learned on my own, the hard way. I had more than one person tell me I was wasting my time but I was bullheaded enough not to give up and after just enough persistence and effort I was rewarded. I had completed my quest for a goat.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCF3558res.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15297&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=858)

Special thanks to my long time hunting partner who, even though hated me for draging him through hell and back in all those years, still was there to pass me his rifle help me pack.

shaner338
09-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Congrats!! Awesome story too. Sounds a bit like mine, dragging my buddy all over the country side for a goat.. lol. Now he wants one too and we hope to connect with them this year in Terrace..

Gateholio
09-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Congrats!!!

You bump the safety on or something?:razz:

That is a great looking goat!:smile:

PGK
09-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Awesome dude. Just way awesome.

09-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Right On !!

Way to go !
Your story sounds all to familiar to my introduction and success on a good Billy!

Your hard work and perserverance paid off and hats off to you to continue on !

No pain no gain , that said I know the pain of Goat hunting.

Congrats to you and your partner for helping, they are not easy to hunt and pack out by yourself thats for sure.

Your hooked now !

CT

Ambush
09-14-2009, 09:55 PM
You've had a great season already, but this is the topper!!

Congratulations on an awesome trophy at the end of a long tough hunt.

Your english teacher must have really drilled it into you, 'cause you can still write a great story.

300wsm
09-14-2009, 09:58 PM
ya man fantastic read there! very cool and congrats! but what was with the gun???

300wsm

olharley guy
09-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Howdy, great story and good looking billy. Time and patience pays off! Did you ever find out what was wrong with the gun? Later

leadpillproductions
09-14-2009, 10:04 PM
nice goat great story good job

killman
09-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Great read! Thanks for sharing.

todbartell
09-14-2009, 10:16 PM
great story, great hunt

you are now a premier member of the intraweb 8)

Rattler
09-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Congrats on a fine looking billy. Love goat hunting as well...

BigBanger
09-14-2009, 10:23 PM
I skipped the story, nice looking goat .

BlacktailStalker
09-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Dedication and persistance payed off for you, congrats on a fine trophy :cool:

Gus
09-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Congrats!!!

You bump the safety on or something?:razz:

Thats the first thing I checked:razz:

Got home late last night from the hunt so I havent had a chance to look at the anymore. Tomorrow Ill play with it. Might have to give it to Bartel to figure out:smile:

todbartell
09-14-2009, 10:29 PM
nothing a case of beer and a 5 lb sledge wont fit

failing that, $1800 on a Sako finnlight.........................

PGK
09-14-2009, 10:33 PM
You think he's gonna trust another finnish gun? If that had been a griz, we'd be posting on an entirely different thread right now.

The Hermit
09-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Congratulations!!! I hope to be able to do a goat and sheep hunt before I am too old and too far out of shape. Good on you and great story!! Me thinks your partner deserves a couple beers eh?

todbartell
09-14-2009, 10:37 PM
You think he's gonna trust another finnish gun? If that had been a griz, we'd be posting on an entirely different thread right now.

you know how hard the pad is on a t3 - he could just butt smash the grizz to death, probably would take less blows than you'd think! :mrgreen:

kootenayelkslayer
09-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Congrats again man, great story. You earned it!

09-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write your story. Congrats!

RiverBoatFantasy
09-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Fantastic

Just wait until you bump into a herd of goats on a valley bottom in Septmember. You will rack your brain trying to figure out why they are down so low. (hint: nothing to do with water)

09-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Just wait until you bump into a herd of goats on a valley bottom in Septmember. You will rack your brain trying to figure out why they are down so low. (hint: nothing to do with water)

You mean like the herd my brother saw three days ago 5km south of the Okanagan Lake Provincial park...on the highway!

Amphibious
09-15-2009, 12:34 AM
great story and pic!

Stone Sheep Steve
09-15-2009, 03:36 AM
Great looking billy and well written story!:cool:

Congrats!

SSS

Buck
09-15-2009, 03:47 AM
Looks like a good 10 inch goat?.Great story I had a similar problem only i could"t hit the Goat checked zero back at camp and the scope had been bumped some how rookie mistake always check zero after a flight.

Springer
09-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Wow great read,and nice Billy ! I to had the Quest for a Goat and if it wasn't for a BC Hunter hosting me from Alberta I never would have had the opportunity. I learned a lot about why you should be in shape and not to pack like an old Hoarder taking to much crap ,,just in case i might need it. He's my favourite mount in the Cool room.

Thanks again Butcher!

TIKA 300
09-15-2009, 04:39 AM
Great goat and read,thanks for the post.

M.Dean
09-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Thats one hard core hunt! Excellent looking goat, congrats to you and your hunting partner!

Little Hawk
09-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Yeah awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

Did you bump your gun one time or another?

Happened to buddy in the EK 2 yrs ago. Dropped his 270' and decided not to check it to see if it was still shooting straight then tries a head-shot on a Whitey at less than a hundred and blows off a hunk of its skull before it runs away... forever. Spent pretty much the rest of the afternoon trying to find it.

Ride
09-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Great goat! Sounds like you earned that one. Congrats!

Phil
09-15-2009, 06:59 AM
That was a good read and a great looking goat. Too bad about the rifle but it adds a good twist to the story.

hillclimber
09-15-2009, 07:06 AM
awesome story and congrats on the successful hunt. i'd love to try something like that but i have shitty knee's so i don't know how they'll hold up. guess there only one way to find out though.

bcbooner
09-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Nice Goat.Great determanation as with all hunting success is usually tied into the effort put out,allthough luck helps at times.

srupp
09-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Great goat and great read...:-D...sometimes these 'quests" take a whole lot more than we first imagined..well done.

Steven

muleyman
09-15-2009, 08:38 AM
good on you for not giving up nice goat.

d6dan
09-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Good looking Billie, 10"?. Congrats to you on a successful,grueling hunt . The story was super, :-Dyou and Bridger seem to write the same:wink:..

Brambles
09-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Good going, nice looking country, during the story I had imagined timber but couldn't have been further from the truth. Sucks to hear about the rifle crapping out. Time to smash it against a rock and buy a new one.

MichelD
09-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Good goat, great epic story.

I wouldn't have known you hadn't written since high school.

landphil
09-15-2009, 11:32 AM
A great story with a great ending - congrats!

whitetailsheds
09-15-2009, 11:44 AM
"Bullheaded, persistence, and effort"...nailed it on the head. Throw in some luck, and ya got 'er. Good job, nice goat! Nice read, thanks for posting....

skibum
09-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Good Read - Thanks for posting

jrjonesy
09-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Great story, very well written. All of the back story made it that much more exciting. Congrats on completing your Quest!

BCbillies
09-15-2009, 05:05 PM
That's a great story and goat! It didn't come easy and that's what puts it at the top. I'm guessing this won't be your last goat hunt?

Stone Sheep Steve
09-15-2009, 05:33 PM
So what's the next quest???

SSS

PGK
09-15-2009, 06:51 PM

SSS

Probably kids :lol:

Gus
09-15-2009, 07:02 PM
That's a great story and goat! It didn't come easy and that's what puts it at the top. I'm guessing this won't be your last goat hunt?

Had you asked that question yesterday morning as I was doing all I could to get out of bed and get to work, I would have told you I was never hunting those damn things again. But, this afternoon I caught myself wondering where I might want to try goat hunting next. How soon a guy forgets the hard parts and just remebers the good stuff eh:)

SSS

Well, I suppose a Stone's Ram quest may be the next "logical" obsession;-).. we'll see:cool:

Gus
09-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Probably kids :lol:

The wife just happened to be over my shoulder as I opened this thread...nice timing you ass

Ambush
09-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Well, I suppose a Stone's Ram quest may be the next "logical" obsession;-).. we'll see:cool:

Well, you know your bow works on big bears. I'd say it's time to try it on a stone.:wink:

PGK
09-15-2009, 07:10 PM
HAHAHAHAHA that's your own damn fault!!!!

BiG Boar
09-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Dude that is an awsome read. More pictures would be sweet! What a hunt. I wish I had a partner who would goat hunt with me.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-15-2009, 07:23 PM
The wife just happened to be over my shoulder as I opened this thread...nice timing you ass

Just make sure that whatever happens it's well planned. Hunting season is about 11 months long. July is the only good month to have kids as long as she let's you chase sheep in Aug.:wink:

SSS

kootenayelkslayer
09-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Just make sure that whatever happens it's well planned. Hunting season is about 11 months long. July is the only good month to have kids as long as she let's you chase sheep in Aug.:wink:

SSS

But Dall season opens on the 15th of July, so you have about a two week window at the beginning of July to sneak one in there.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-15-2009, 07:33 PM
But Dall season opens on the 15th of July, so you have about a two week window at the beginning of July to sneak one in there.

Kids will steal all your money so heading that far north won't be an option:rolleyes:.

SSS

Gus
09-15-2009, 07:46 PM
More pictures would be sweet!

Ill try and get one or two more on. I think my partner has some good ones too once I get a hold of them.

Gus
09-15-2009, 08:05 PM
My hunting partner.....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCF3564res.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15313&size=big&cat=500)

And a shot of the country.....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCF3573res.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15314&size=big&cat=500)

Vanman1985
09-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Awsome story!!! Thanks for sharing

kootenayelkslayer
09-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Kids will steal all your money so heading that far north won't be an option:rolleyes:.

SSS

A guy might just become a resident one day, need to keep the options open.

kgs
09-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Great story.. would like to read more ...:)

jimzuk
09-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Awesome story and tremendous persistence. I took me 3 hunts to be successful. I live about 200 miles from the area I had the draw so there was no opportunity for research. At least I was seeing Goats each time.
I have that draw again and want to try it with my bow, however I am also 10 years older so I will have to see how that goes.

Gus
09-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Well, you know your bow works on big bears. I'd say it's time to try it on a stone.:wink:

Christ! Took me 5 years to kill a goat with a rifle, how long would it take me to get a sheep with my bow!?

Ambush
09-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Christ! Took me 5 years to kill a goat with a rifle, how long would it take me to get a sheep with my bow!?

Usually about 30 seconds, when it comes right down to it.:grin: