PDA

View Full Version : first moose hunting trip

steveymoe
09-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Going on my first moose hunting trip in region 7-6.Camping out at Stoney lake for 7 to 10 days.I got lucky and got a bull draw.If anyone knows the area and has any tips it would be lots of help

d6dan
09-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Google Earth works good.

SUAFOYT
09-14-2009, 09:32 PM
We hunted 7-6 for over 14 years and pulled over 30+ moose out of that MU. We hunted an area no larger than 10 to 15 square miles. Where are you entering the area from? Stony Lake, while a picturesque area, was never a first choice for us. We always camped at Haggen Creek which is at the east end of the MU and was the productive area for us. I understand that a lot of the roads have been deactivated and some of the key bridges have been pulled. Short sighted policy as it forces most to congregate on just a few access roads. Best time IMO is always the week before the Thanksgiving weekend if you have a bull draw, as that was when cow and calves would open. PM me if you wish and I can hopefully lend a hand for some info that may help. Either way, good luck on your hunt. A word of advice- we saw G bears every year we were there. Never a problem for us but keep an eye out.