PDA

View Full Version : Hunters contact in Williams Lake

srupp
09-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Hi all, in case any hunters coming through Williams Lake have any difficulty or problems here is my home # in case I can make some suggestions or offer help...had a couple of deer hunters through here a few days ago from the site that had vehicle difficulties just south of Williams Lake..it happens..was able to direct them to appropriate agency and as I had some free moments went picked them up from the dealership went home and we went over some maps and a hour later a cell call and took em back and they were on their way...

I wont give out my cell #...:tongue:..heck evenb WORK doesnt get THAT #..however Susan can reach me IF I am around..

Good luck everyone this fall..hopefully all will go smooth but IF not do try my #...

cheers

Steven Rupp

Williams Lake

250-398-6352 :smile:

shaner338
09-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Another great attribute to the hunting community!! Great stuff Steven!!:grin:

Ambush
09-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Would stopping in just to see the sheep horns qualify as "...needing help."

And congrats on being featured twice in the Canadian Sportsman.

srupp
09-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Ambush yes it was nice to have my own EDITION..:roll::roll: sheeesh..cover photo, lots of grizzly photos..and it was Davids article..and almost the entire sheep article with numerous photos and what ??seven pages??just for the sheep article...

STILL dont have the sheep photos I can down load...

lmao..a pleasant surprise..

as for the sheep horns the stone horns are not here they are in the Okanagan @ the taxidermists...:biggrin:

The Hermit
09-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Steven - Dennis and I will passing thru on the 25th and if it fits our timing and your sched then I'd be happy to buy you a coffee and say hey for a few minutes! Cheers

Bill

HD95
09-14-2009, 04:20 PM
A credit to your character Steven,good on you.

srupp
09-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Hey Bill..checked my schedule..Im in between night shifts zzzzz yawn..so will be around and up sometime after noon....:biggrin: and funny enough I do drink coffee...:roll:

2stone..nawwww...just trying to fit in and help out....

cheers
Steven

HD95
09-14-2009, 04:48 PM
No worries Steven,you already fit in quite well.By the way,you don't live near the polaris dealer do you?Someone living very nearby and above alittle is definately a paramedic,many many signs in front of the house.

stroh72
09-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Steven I'll be heading through on Oct 1 back out to our spot or is it your spot??? Its all so confusing, still interested in hearing more intel on that spot since its year 2 maybe I'll be privy to deeper knowledge?????? Either or, its good to see people offering sincerity and help rather than sarcastic rederic than happens to be happening on here with an alarming rate. If you need anything down here let me know. Now lets get down to basics, turn left at the big puddle........

Todd

cnsteve
09-14-2009, 07:22 PM
<2stone..nawwww...just trying to fit in and help out....>

Eww. I bet he'll get you back for that!!

Good on yah , Steve. But I must say, you were fitting in and helping out a long time ago. Hell, you prolly started the ball rolling on this!

Stever

May have recognized you at the Wild Duck this July. Your troop didn't stay long enough for me to get over but you did seem to be successful.
L8R DooD

Springer
09-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Ya so I am from Red Deer Eh and i was hoping to stop in for a visit and spend the rest of the Fall and winter with ya'all Eh,Think we could hook up for some kinda Big Game Hunt of some kind?? I could handle some of your Wife's Fine cuisine that they all talk about here...:mrgreen:...Know anything about Fishing?? I really Love BC Salmon and Trout !!

srupp
09-14-2009, 08:56 PM
errrr ahhhh sure springer you say???? well your just in luck I do have openings on 2 hunts this fall..

first is for a SASQUATCH..

second is for a fall grizzly..you get to carry the Food..:shock:

ALWAYS welcome here Phil..always.....

steven

300wsm
09-14-2009, 09:51 PM
i was going to start a new thread as i am the hunter that had my alternator and two batteries go on the drive (1050 bucks!). steve picked my up took me to his place and went over maps with me and my hunting partner. i was on the road again in one hour with about a week's worth of scouting information. good guy list for sure. oh and the "hunting room" was a real treat. not sure if he has a pic of his blacktail on here but oh boy!

as for the hunt... we pounded it out for 12-14 hours a day. we only had three days. the first morning i was out an hour before light and the fog was heavy. holy crap ten minutes after i could make out the hand in front of my face i see a big shadow 70 yards away and it moved. no way i could make it out as the fog was so thick but it was clearly not a deer and we have a moose draw . i waited and waited as the shadow slowly moved around me in a circle, 70-100 yards away at all times, apparently scenting me. and that it did. it got wind and split pretty quick. i scented the meadow with moose piss and returned that evening and the next morning. there was no new sign and i was thinking it was not back.

the first day was our best chance. 16 degrees and heavy rain the night before. while that was going on with me my hunting partner was posted up on a ridge over a nice meadow when crash crash crash out comes a real heavy bruin 20 feet in front of him. it scared the crap out of him. when it ran by him apparently not knowing he was there the bear caught wind of him or heard him shit his pants and looked back right at him. my partner did not have a bear tag ( i do) but he was pretty scared and seriously considered shooting but thankfully the bear kept on trucking.

the next two days were spent scouting for more fresh sign as most of what we saw was old. i put on a pile of miles on my new quad. one nice spot we saw had a bit more sign but still not fresh. my partner decided to post there for the third evening. when i cam back to our meeting spot i saw a brand new moose track that went from a complete stop to a burnout slide run off at an angle. i looked more and saw a cat track in a pounce right behind it. this was really cool to see because i know it happened in the two hours i was away.

i saw a mama bear and two cubs. heard shots fired 3 times between us and saw only one other set of hunters that were in camp before sundown with no meat...????... besides the grouse we took for lunch one day and a lone whitetail doe my partner saw that was it. 26 degree weather didn't help but not an excuse. we hiked in to some crazy stuff looking for old creekbeds and cooler microclimates. it was loud and crunchy but it definately was a look into where the moose would be in that heat.

all in all a great trip. we got home safely saw some beautiful country and burned some serious calories...damn we did some hard miles. unfortunately my hunting partner cannot make it up there again. i think i can convince the wife to go again but the draw runs out on sept 30th. i will probably do a solo moose hunt for that draw (5-02 c) around sept 21-25th. if not i will go for old faithful cow draw in alberta with my other hunting partner. never pulled a moose out alone let alone in grizz country. i would consider doing a hunt with a new partner, against my better judgement.

steve if you want to go... you are definately first choice. anyone else that thinks they can get out and knows the area and meets these criteria:

first and foremost...do not f****** shoot me.

second, don't be a damn poacher, have your license and pull out a monster deer. they are there!

third doesn't want a major drink fest just a few in the evening.

an finally be prepared to carry your own weight.

i am by know means and expert master hunter but i meet these criteria and you should too.

pm me if you are interested.

Derek 300wsm

300wsm
09-14-2009, 09:53 PM
jesus i got on so long i forgot to say what i meant to say in the first place....

Steve, thank you very much. that was a class act picking us up and helping us out. you are a credit to good hunters!!!

300wsm

srupp
09-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Wow GOOD STUFF...HA HA HA I think I did mention that there were some B I G bears in the area...:shock:..glad it ended well for your partner..ya close encounters can be well messy...:tongue:

The area you were in holds good moose numbers but incredible deer...big and numerous...however the 26-30 degree heat does not help thats for sure...its a choice wait for those couple hours a day during the legal shooting light they are moving or go in after them while they are bedded..

I actually got out to where you guys were, just one ridge south of your location (there is a small hidden trail that does allow quads/atvs to go easily between) and saw one cow moose and a couple bucks...

HOWEVER a friend that lives out there says in the past week they have started to hear wolves...they are not known to be numerous in the area ..but it doesnt take long to push game with their presence..

No problems with the help...wasa bit surprised at your truck bill...but was more amazed at how quick they got you in on the hoist and done...what 1 hour?? 1 1/ 2 tops...

cheers
Steven

Jhors
09-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey Steve, we will be up your way in late October for the annual mule deer hunt. Hopefully we can stop and say "Hi". I may also PM you for some other information I am looking for.

Hopefully the strike is almost over and we can get back to normal!

John

srupp
09-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi John...AMEN to the strike !!!:roll: being OVER..

Susan and I are headed to Victoria for my 30 year "appreciation supper @ Government house....Oct 13?-14?

I have a LEH for moose out in 5-02D..Oct 15-30..so will be out near Moorhead lake...:roll:

John some big amount of wolves and cougars have really been pushing the game around BIG TIME....

Of course anything you need Horse...just ask...look forward to hearing from you..and will save a package of home made smokies for your camp..

regards

Steven

Springer
09-16-2009, 04:21 AM
Yes i thought about the sasquatch hunt to Elmer but I don't think i have the ceiling height for the Saquatch full Mount :eek:so maybe a rug for that. I can carry the food but not Oysters or sardines ,we know what happens when those get consumed anyway..
Enjoy your trip down South and hopefully you and Susan get a chance to spend a bunch of $$ at Cabella's while your there.
Maybe a Spring Bear is in order though,would like to bring Aaron out for his first Bear Hunt where he has more than one to choose from.
Sure nice of you to still offer to help a guy out even if he's from Provost ..;)

Little Hawk
09-16-2009, 06:28 AM
Steve,

Buddy Ray and I are coming through in the last part of Oct. on the way in to 5-04(A). Never been in there before. We have an LEH moose draw and I've been looking over the area on Google Earth. Me thinks camp would look good somewhere around Tuzcha/Eishem Lks area. Seems a long way in though (100 to 130 kl from Hanceville?) and it's hard to tell looking at it from above.

If you've ever been in this area or care to share anything you know about it that might help cut down the number of mistakes Ray and I usually make in a new area, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks
Terry

srupp
09-16-2009, 09:39 AM
hmm Springer..no problems...you folks from Provost always seem to have such clean white sheets...hmmm why the eye cuttouts??:shock:..lol

Little hawk PM will be sent..the area you ask about is "sensitive" :mad: for POLITICAL REASONS..:mad::redface::oops:..
CHEERS

steven

RiverBoatFantasy
09-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Steve,

Buddy Ray and I are coming through in the last part of Oct. on the way in to 5-04(A). Never been in there before. We have an LEH moose draw and I've been looking over the area on Google Earth. Me thinks camp would look good somewhere around Tuzcha/Eishem Lks area. Seems a long way in though (100 to 130 kl from Hanceville?) and it's hard to tell looking at it from above.

If you've ever been in this area or care to share anything you know about it that might help cut down the number of mistakes Ray and I usually make in a new area, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks
Terry

I'd suggest wearing a fine cologne, pack some Lucky and drive a bit further up the road to Alexis Creek. You will feel like Elvis Presley. Much better than moose hunting:razz:

srupp
09-16-2009, 12:49 PM
lmao......

sr

Little Hawk
09-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Okay, now you guys got me thinkin'...

I've heard just about everything about this area, including:

- "it's on fire!"
- "hide your gas cans."
- "they stop you on the road and take away your hunting-license"
- "some good moose country in there..."

Me thinks I'll use my left arm when I throw my LEH-dart at the map next year.

srupp
09-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Sorry for the delay..lol been busier than a one armed paperhanger..I have not forgotten your request...

I have some friends that live out there and I phoned to ask a specific question..havnt heard back but once back from Seattle (gone for a couple days ) I will touch bases then send you a pm.

As for all you heard...everything you heard is true at one time or other..:eek:

still some big fires out there , things tend to go missing , and there certainly is major animosity between the first nations and local hunters..big time...and there IS good moose hunting out there...but sometimes the cost is higher than it should be..:mad:..

I will get some answers and send a Pm...

Steven:lol:

Stresd
09-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Heading out West of Williams lake towards Alexis for a week leaving tommorrow. Supposed to be hotter than H. next week but have no choice as LeH'd. Looking for any info on availability of a cooler or Cold storage in that neck of the woods or even back in Willie's Puddle on the off chance that we knock one down in that heat. Used to be a local out where we will be that let us use his root cellar when this warm. But sadly, his ranch was sold to a German couple that is catering to European tourists. When contacted they politly informed me that they want nothing to do with Hunters. Hate like heck to knock one down on Sat and have to head home right away. Any info really appreciated. Thanks

Bigbear
09-17-2009, 09:07 AM
I know a few Fella's here that do meat cutting and Have coolers. I'll give them a Call and see If they will Hang Meat for a few Hunting here in Williams Lake. I also Can help out If needed.
Kelly Bennett
250-392-7770

srupp
09-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Well I got to put my "offer to help " to the test again today lol..Member from the forum froze up his front bearing on his FORD..:eek::roll:..so after 6 or 7 calls he remembers my offer and calls me from 20 miles south of 100 mile...with in 10 minutes I have arranged a tow truck to pick up his Ford..:roll: however cant find a tow truck that can tow his 30 foot travel trailer so I reluctantly break the news to Susan that unfortunatly I cant stay and help her paint :wink: and I head off and meet Bruce and his wife, the tow truck is there and we all head off into 100 mile house, me towing Bruces 30 foot TT...soon Bruces truck and TT are on the Ford dealerships parking lot waiting for Monday morning and get his bearing ?replaced..

I get to meet the nicest people " JUST BY ACCIDENT" LMAO...

Got home in time to help paint some too...

Steven

lip_ripper00
09-27-2009, 08:58 PM
You the MAN, hopefuly when we meet it will prearranged and over coffee on me.8)

srupp
09-27-2009, 09:08 PM
as long as you dont drive a ford youll be fine...OOPS LMAO

Steven

kennyj
09-28-2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks Steven.Thats very generous of you.Maybe my truck will break down on my sheep hunt up your way,and you can pick me up and we can go over some maps?
kenny

cmc destroyer
09-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi all, in case any hunters coming through Williams Lake have any difficulty or problems here is my home # in case I can make some suggestions or offer help...had a couple of deer hunters through here a few days ago from the site that had vehicle difficulties just south of Williams Lake..it happens..was able to direct them to appropriate agency and as I had some free moments went picked them up from the dealership went home and we went over some maps and a hour later a cell call and took em back and they were on their way...

I wont give out my cell #...:tongue:..heck evenb WORK doesnt get THAT #..however Susan can reach me IF I am around..

Good luck everyone this fall..hopefully all will go smooth but IF not do try my #...

cheers

Steven Rupp

Williams Lake

250-398-6352 :smile:

Hey right on Steven.
Talk about a nice guy, hell I'd even stop in just to shake your hand bud.
Take care.

srupp
09-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Bruce....did you make it home to Kelowna???

cheers
Steven

bowhunterbruce
09-29-2009, 09:04 PM
hey steve
ya i just got home about an hr ago.it turned out i had a busted spindle bearing ,they replaced both sides and put non new seals ,total bill wasnt has bad as i could have been,
steve i want to thank you again for dropping what you were doing to come help me and the mrs out .
it sure is nice to know that there are son many good people on here at hbc that are willing to come to the rescue of those in need.
i tell ya you should have seen the look on the wifes face when i said i was calling an hbc member for assistance especally when her friends and family were not answering thier phones.
hi5s again buddy and if you ever need anything around the kelowna area dont hesitate to call me or toni,
bruce & toni

bowhunterbruce
09-29-2009, 09:15 PM
as long as you dont drive a ford youll be fine...OOPS LMAO

Steven
ummmmmmmm i pretty sure that was a ford that towed the tt
well at least a ford never leaves ya stuck in the bush.
bruce

ydouask
09-30-2009, 07:17 AM
"What goes around comes around"... may you continue to have a good life.

srupp
09-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Hi Bruce...it was very nice to meet you and the Mrs. sorry it was under such pee poor conditions..glad it worked out..

cheers
Steven