PDA

View Full Version : hunting the same area two days in a row?

brian
09-13-2009, 10:40 PM
While out hunting on this last trip my hunting partner refused to hunt the same area two days in a row. He would rather switch it up and go someplace completely different every day. It was an area that we both saw animals in and had great sign. I wanted to go back there but he thought that it would apply too much hunting pressure to the area. What are your thoughts. Any problems with hitting the same area a few times?

RiverBoatFantasy
09-13-2009, 10:42 PM
If there is sign of game hit that place twice a day. The animals are never very far away if the fresh sign is there.

09-13-2009, 11:00 PM
If there is sign of game hit that place twice a day. The animals are never very far away if the fresh sign is there.

Absolutely!! We have done that before on our moose hunts......one of us will hit the known honey hole regularly and it has paid off to for sure.

Chuck
09-13-2009, 11:02 PM

Yup!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moosecaller
09-14-2009, 05:50 AM
I will at times hit the same area until I score if I see sign and it looks like it is being use regularly. Consistancey pays off.

swb
09-14-2009, 05:59 AM
if you know that the game is there why would you go anywhere else? keep hunting the same area

ydouask
09-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Both saw animals, great sign.... better get the hell out of there ! Would you be so kind as to send me the GPS coordinates the next time you encounter this situation?

Night Hawk 3
09-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Depends on what's going on. If you're pushing the deer around, then they may vacate and go to the next drainage or change the timing of their movements.

If you were not pushing the deer around - which can be tough to determine - then you can certainly go back to the area.

It also can depend on how you were hunting the area; as lots of movement, tracking up and down game trails, or having the deer see you and run from you can really affect that area for days to come. This all boils down to "pressure" and too much of it will change the deer's behaviour. Remember that their movements are all about food and cover... and how they get to each of those.

NH3

brian
09-14-2009, 07:43 AM
This is all great info thanks guys.

Gun Dog
09-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Your partner's correct since you're the only two hunters out there.

M.Dean
09-14-2009, 08:52 AM
When I go hunting, my main objective is to find animals, you guys did that. Then I try to find one to shoot, by going to the same area it cuts my odds down because I know there's animals in that area. If you change area's you risk the chance of seeing nothing, there fore losing a days hunting. Hunt where you see game, thats half the battle, unless you make camp in the middle of the spot or do some shooting, the game most likely won't leave, they'll still use that same general area the following day. Good Luck.

tomahawk
09-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Given there is good sign and animals that you saw, why would you want to go anywhere else????????? With 2 guys hunting there is no such thing as too much pressure in one area!

steepNdeep
09-14-2009, 09:02 AM
It all depends how you are hunting the area. If you are watching and glassing without bumping animals then I'd continue to hunt the area. If you bumped and pushed animals around, you may want to give it a rest for a couple of days... good luck.

09-14-2009, 09:34 AM
sit down by the fire,crack a beer and plan the most stelthy way to enter the area tomorrow. This is what we do isnt it? We find where the deer live then we plan how to effectivly shoot them. Go back to the land of plenty.

J_T
09-14-2009, 11:55 AM
It depends what you are hunting. Deer and Moose will stick around. Elk are pretty tough to pattern and have a territory/pattern that is much larger.

I'm not sure I agree with a 2 day rule, but by the third day elk will pattern you and you have to adjust.

So it depends what you are hunting and how hard you push. If you are making noise (quad) and stinking the place up (bowels).

sako_300
09-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Completely agree with the above - you need to be strategic when hunting Elk, especially with outside pressure.

Edit - just noticed you were in Van; I would go back...

BlacktailStalker
09-14-2009, 12:04 PM
I scout to find fresh sign.
When I find the sign I hunt the area until I've killed what I'm after or I know the game has moved out of the area.
I'll hunt the same area every day if they're there.
Its a never ending cycle.
The day you give it a "rest" is the day someone else walks in and hammers that buck/bull that slipped up when you weren't there.

Instead of bumping a herd of elk or buck in mid day when they're usually laid up in an area thats hard to access or unhuntable (bedding area with not enough visibility to even think about getting a shot off), I might go scout another area during this time.
This way if what ever it is you're after moves, or you know you've spooked them right out of the country (it happens) you have another productive spot to immediately hunt.
But you can bet I'll be back for both a.m and p.m prime times to hunt the first spot again.

eastkoot
09-14-2009, 12:19 PM
I saw a six point and 5 cows first morning, (couldn't count to six fast enough), anyway, I'm still hunting there after 4 days,,

gary murray
09-14-2009, 01:10 PM
2 days or even 3 days in a row wont hurt your chances or harm the area. When i was starting out hunting and i didn't see anything in a certain area in 1 day i would move on which was a mistake. You have to hunt the area more than once to be successful. The animals are there and that's why we call it hunting. The only time i really give up on an area is when it starts to get swamped with other hunters and i start seeing less and less because of it.

1/2 slam
09-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Have at it. I see no problem. Well except with your partner that is.:lol: