PDA

View Full Version : cover or quiet?

brian
09-13-2009, 10:31 PM
I was still hunting over the weekend and got pushed into a situation I have been in an number of times. You are still hunting in some decent timber and you come to an area with a lot of blow downs. There is a more open area in the timber near by which has fewer blow downs and would allow you to move much quieter, but you will blow your cover if you use it. If you keep to the cover you will have a damn near impossible time keeping quiet. What do you do?

BlacktailStalker
09-13-2009, 10:34 PM
I'd move to the more quiet area if there are no deer in sight.

Ever heard a deer in the salal or crusty snow, herd of elk in a slash ? Bear in the berry bushes ? Everything makes noise, it just seems to us that our noises are way louder.

SteadyGirl
09-13-2009, 10:37 PM
you should have cleared that blowdown from your hunting spot pre season, everybody has to do it.. every year. if you can't hunt silent while still hunting your usually wasting your time. anything but the utmost silence when I'm hunting scrub like that results in alarm calls from 50m.. not close enough in that mature timber stands

in your situation you discribe i would have moved into the open area, to maintain as quiet as possible.. then rely on the camo to break up and the walk two steps look and listen for 30 seconds ect

brian
09-13-2009, 10:48 PM
unfortunately I live about 400km from where I was hunting, so I couldn't go clear it pre-season.

Ever heard a deer in the salal or crusty snow, herd of elk in a slash ? Bear in the berry bushes ? Everything makes noise, it just seems to us that our noises are way louder. Or a deer in blow down, man they are noisy as all hell.

So silence is golden, I figured as much with how crappy deers eyes seem to be.

Fisher-Dude
09-13-2009, 10:58 PM
They can always hear you, but can't always see you. Play the odds.

Chuck
09-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Gear down & detour.