PDA

View Full Version : 6 x 7 Elk down for Mckinney Creek Adventures

Mckinney Creek Adventures
09-13-2009, 09:05 PM
We shot an 6 x 7 Elk at 1 pm Saturday. Best thing was my son was standing right beside me when I dropped him. Unfortunately he did not get a look at him before I shot. Oh well, cant waste any time in this situation.

Story....

We were scouting an area I know for an evening hunt when we came across some fresh sign. So we left the Ranger and started walking just to scope it out for the evening hunt. I started cow calling 100 yards from the Ranger and about another 50 yards away we heard a loud crack in the bush. My 10 year old son points and says he heard something from our right side. At that point we did not hear anything, so we kept creeping up the trail and calling, and all of a sudden I look over my right shoulder and there is a bull looking at me. I lifted my binos and counted to five points with more to go, dropped them and brought up my rifle. Dropped him at 50 yards right between the eyes. Hooted and hollered with my son for a bit, told him we just bagged a nice elk, hi fived etc.

Then the work began. But I have a system of getting my game winched in a tree and into the ranger or atv whole. Was on the hook in the cooler at Kodiak Meats by 8 pm...

Best part was my son was there to share in this exciting hunt.

I would post pics but they are too large and not sure how too. I might put one on my website here this week for the pic of the month.

MCA

Fisher-Dude
09-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Sweet! Looking forward to the pics!

BlacktailStalker
09-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Nice, one for the books with your son :cool:
No you DO know you'll get hammered on for no pics...

09-13-2009, 10:15 PM
pics are coming thanks to Fisher.

Stay tuned.

MCA

shaner338
09-13-2009, 10:19 PM
To Cool!! Can't wait to see the pics!! Congrats!

bowhunterbruce
09-13-2009, 10:41 PM
gotta love it when a good okanagan bull drops,i too can't wait for the pics.
bruce

Fisher-Dude
09-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Great bull MCA! And awesome to see the young fella out there with ya!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/IMG_20321.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/IMG_20411.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/IMG_20421.jpg

Rattler
09-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Wow, impressive bull and setup you have there...

Great to see you out with your son.

gameslayer
09-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Way to go, nice to do with the kid he will tell stories about that to his Grandchildren :smile:.

Brambles
09-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Definitly a creative way of stowing an elk in your hatchback... Kinda makes me wonder how you did it.

09-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Portable winch strapped to the roll cage on back side.

Snatch block strapped up in a tree.

Animal hoisted into tree, back up Ranger to tree while maintained winch tension.

Lower animal into box, remove cable from block and cinch up tight to secure animal in box with head tied up to winch cable.

That is it. Drove Ranger back to our property about 20 kms or so with whole elk in the back..

I have been using this technique for a few years now with my immy moose onto the back of my Polaris X2 ATV. This guy would have been to big for the ATV, but the Ranger worked well.

MCA

Stone Sheep Steve
09-14-2009, 04:27 AM
1PM in these temps??? Cool stuff!!

Great looking bull and pics!

Pull any wheelies??:-D

Congrats!

SSS

valleycowboy
09-14-2009, 04:48 AM
great lookin okanagan bull!!!!!
congrats to you and your son.

jasper
09-14-2009, 06:03 AM
nice good on you tough animal to find in those parts awesome bull

09-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Thanks Guys,

Pulled the wheels off the ground while winching into the tree. Had to be carefull around the tight corners cause not alot of weight on front tires. Ranger HD rated for 1500 lbs so it was fine.

Actually you would be surprised with numbers of elk in our area. Just got to look for them. In this heat, we are finding that they are moving very little though!

MCA

NaStY
09-14-2009, 06:29 AM
Nice bull there. Great to see the kids involved...

TIKA 300
09-14-2009, 06:31 AM
That for sure is a nice bull....:cool:
Will have to consider hunting up there soon,havent hunted Rock Creek for 5 years now.
Again congrats.

leadpillproductions
09-14-2009, 06:58 AM
awsome bull

09-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Very Cool specially with your Boy !

Congrats to you ........ there's another one of the bulls that so many are saying there are only 5 pointers around .... well you proved em wrong !

Congrats!

CT

gary murray
09-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Wow. Was i ever hunting elk in the wrong area this weekend. That things awesome.

Mik
09-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Congrats to you and your son. Looked like a fun hunt and ride!

whitespringer
09-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Sweet bull! You couldn't have any better advertising for your cabins than those pics:wink: I think I will have to check them out.:smile:

rifleman
09-14-2009, 08:44 AM
that is very impressive. pretty nice to be able to hunt elk that close to home. glad your son was there to help ya!

d6dan
09-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Nice Bull,congrats to you. Good to see your son enjoying a successful day hunting with dad.

Looks like your ranger needed a counter weight up front?.

09-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Son and I both had a great day. He is sure proud. Took a picture of his first elk to school to show all his buddies. I think he will be a hunter for life this guy.

The Ranger did well, that is why I got the HD model. I have a habit of using and abusing everything I own. I have to find the limits of all my equipment and toys! I will have to get a picture posted with a whole moose on the back of my ATV.

Now for the moose season, I can hardly wait. This is my favourite animal to hunt and on the table. It may be a banner year. I have bagged 6 two points in 7 years. Son and I will be going hard starting sunday for rubber nose!

MCA

Nice Bull,congrats to you. Good to see your son enjoying a successful day hunting with dad.

Looks like your ranger needed a counter weight up front?.