PDA

View Full Version : Rocksteady's Great Whitetail Adventure

rocksteady
09-13-2009, 11:16 AM
So, yesterday got the 17 year old step son to go hunting in the morning. We saw one elk, way too far off for a shot and I think it was a small transient bull, we were looking for a cow or calf for him under the jr/sr season...Also saw a small whitey doe with a spotted fawn....

So this morning I get up at 4:30, the kid said he was going to come, so around rolls 05:30, he isn't up, so I am out the door to do some elk scouting for a couple of buddies who have yet to fill elk tags....

So I drove to the area that I have seen elk in before, right at first light...So I sneak into the area in the dark. Sitting on a big knoll overlooking a big overgrown clearcut by 6:30...First light comes, nothing....About 7:00 ish i hear a noise and heres a whitey doe crossing the block at about 100 yards....Out pops another one, spiker with browtines, when I moved to go from binos to the rifle, they bailed and ran all the way across the cut block without stopping to give me a shot....Oh well, it would have been a km drag back to the road.....

So I wander out of the block, down the deactivated road, onto the good road....Take my time just puttering along through another cut block thats probably 10 or 15 years old and grown up a bit.....Make it back to the truck, take off all of my stuff, fire up the Dodge...Usually I turn around right where I park, but its a little tight to do, and I did not want to do a 10 point turn so figured I would just drive up the road 500 yards to a junction, where I can turn easy.....

So I just come around the corner, have only driven maybe 60 yards and this whitey buck steps out of the regen onto the high side of the cutbank...On goes the brakes, throw it into neutral, e brake on....Climb out, hoping it will stay put for another 10 seconds......

Just as I am racking a round, he comes off the cutbank, but stops with his front feet on the road and hinds in the ditch, broadside...I drop to 1 knee, put the x-hairs behind the shoulder and tug.....Down he went like a sack of spuds into the ditch....3 little kicks, game over...About a 60 yards shot, maybe....

Drive up, pull him up the cutbank a little bit, knock the innards out of him, back the truck into the ditch, slide him in and off we go to home......Was home by 8:30 this morning......

He weighed in at 95 lbs at the butcher...Not a whopper, but a nice little buck,4 by 4 with a little kicker on the base of his left antler. with a tonne of fat on him.....

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/018.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/019.jpg

Stay tuned for Rocksteady's Excellent Moose Hunting Expidition and Rocksteady's Spine Chilling Goat Hunt....

Gotta go guys, got to do laundry, clean rifles, sharpen knives, yada, yada, yada....

09-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Shaping up to be a good season for you Mike.

CanuckShooter
09-13-2009, 11:22 AM
nothing like a butterball for the freezer.

hillclimber
09-13-2009, 12:05 PM
alright congrats on the whitey. whats your next thread gonna be about?LOL

d6dan
09-13-2009, 12:09 PM
God!, things are really going good for you this season!. Nice little WT. Should be tasty. Now onto Goats?

shaner338
09-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Nice buck congrats!! Goodluck on the moose and goat!

Ddog
09-13-2009, 12:46 PM
sweet,,,but i beat ya to it....tagged a doe on the 7th, 15yrd shot, getting her back to the truck a nice little buck came to close so i arrowed him to.
1 elk, 2 deer, a grouse and a rabbit for a total of about 3hrs of bowhunting this season.
good for you Mike.

Ambush
09-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Rock's second book this year. " Once upon a time there was a whitetail buck. I killed it, just like the elk"

I think your still on fire from the summer!!

Congratulations again. I might as well say it for the moose and goat now, at this rate.

rocksteady
09-13-2009, 01:56 PM
sweet,,,but i beat ya to it....tagged a doe on the 7th, 15yrd shot, getting her back to the truck a nice little buck came to close so i arrowed him to.
1 elk, 2 deer, a grouse and a rabbit for a total of about 3hrs of bowhunting this season.
good for you Mike.

Awesome Daryl, might as well bring home a truckload, as compared to just 1....:eek::eek: Takes the same amount of work to get all your crap (camo/knives/) cleaned up, as it does for 1...

Guess your freezer is looking very nice....Not gonna starve this year...:biggrin:

Stone Sheep Steve
09-13-2009, 02:32 PM
One word to describe you, Rock......Efficient8).

Put "in" in front of that word and you've got me.:roll:

Congrats!

SSS

leadpillproductions
09-13-2009, 02:44 PM
congrads should be a good eater

Poguebilt
09-13-2009, 02:47 PM
That is such a sweet spot you got! ;)

nano
09-13-2009, 03:24 PM
congrats , nice wt.

Ddog
09-13-2009, 05:00 PM
its been crazy this year eh Rocksteady,,,so many animals down right away,,i am done until Dec and its like Sept, 13th.
i envy you and your moose tag. and goat. but this year i have to deal with the new school work so i am glad i have taken my animals and thankful to boot.
i dont even want to talk about what i had come in to the hole the other night when i went for a looksee, lets just say there were a few and one had 6points on one side and the other side was matching.
my freezer is full from the few i have so my wife is now home so i have the good camera and am going to go for pictures now.
again , good for you rock, i love it!
cheers.....

steepNdeep
09-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Right on! Nice when everything comes together after you've put in teh miles... Congrats on some good eats.

Brett
09-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Looks good, glad it went well, bring on the moose!

rocksteady
09-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Took the 17 year old out this morning..No elk, but he made an awesome 230 yard shot on a 4 point whitey buck.....Went a whole 30 yards before it packed it in....Upon skinning, bottom half of heart was gone...

Will post some pics in a bit....

spear
09-15-2009, 12:18 PM
nice lookin deer, sounds like you got a full freezer already

rocksteady
09-15-2009, 03:57 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/004.jpg

See what happens when you get your arse out of bed????

Weighed 95 lbs at the butcher, but will be good eatin....

Freezer isn't full yet.....1/3 of an elk (the guys that came and help me pull it out are in for 1/3 each, my orders..), 2 whiteys approx. 95 lbs a piece...

jrjonesy
09-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Congrats to both of you. Nice looking bucks.

trigger
10-10-2009, 09:16 AM
nice. awesome eats right there. wish i could have bagged one of them while i was down there. Its a long ways to drive home empty handed

cainer
10-10-2009, 10:04 AM
you must have a humongous freezer!

rocksteady
10-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Negative...Split the elk in 3rds, with my 2 helpers that came out....If it was not for them, It probably would of spoiled so had to make it worth their while.....

Last year I got my elk and 2 whitetails and by about May 1, we were down to burger only.....WE ARE CARNIVORES>>>>

And actually I have 2 freezers.....

sawmill
10-10-2009, 02:17 PM
[quote=rocksteady;527860]Negative...Split the elk in 3rds, with my 2 helpers that came out....If it was not for them, It probably would of spoiled so had to make it worth their while.....

Last year I got my elk and 2 whitetails and by about May 1, we were down to burger only.....WE ARE CARNIVORES>>
You are like me,I have the wifes 2 grown sons and daughter in law and 2 grandkids and they all love wild meat.Me and Leslie put a good dent in that food bill this morning though,2 shots/2 LEH does.hanging in the shop.
My Bro in law came out to help with the second one and he had a crack at 3 nice bucks within a mile and never fired a shot.WAY too slow off the mark!

rocksteady
10-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Congrats Joe, Now you just have to follow that up with a couple bucks and there still is time for a 6 pt. Elk...:biggrin: