PDA

View Full Version : 5x5 called in

lightmag
09-13-2009, 10:47 AM
My brother called in a 5x5 elk this am, (unfortunatly i'm at work and missed the action!!)

question, what are the chances he is a lone bull in that spot or do you think there could be a bigger guy in there too? this guy came in quiet without a sound after an hour of my brother cow calling and bugleing and hitting all the corners of the area, didn't start screaming until he was 60 yards out?

my thoughts are he was proabably a satilite bull sneaking in for a peak and chance at a cow and the heard bull was quiet and didn't respond?

not much bugeling happening hear yet (PG), been out 3 times into our honey holes with no action at all until the this am and he came in super quiet?

I don't have alot of expirence yet, only 3 years elk hunting, shot my first 6x6 locally last year, but have had legal bulls in our sites the past 3 years on opening day until this year, buddy took the 1st one i called in, lol and my brother missed the 2nd year!!

So any thougts or ideas on this 5x5 and what might still be around would be appreciated.

thanks,
Lightmag

Schmaus
09-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I called in a 5X5 on opening day and was wondering the same thing as well. This guy was being very aggressive and was bugling lots though. One cow came out before him, and then he came out screaming and smashing everything in his path. I moved on because I sort of thought he was acting dominant.

lightmag
09-13-2009, 11:02 AM
I called in a 5X5 on opening day and was wondering the same thing as well. This guy was being very aggressive and was bugling lots though. One cow came out before him, and then he came out screaming and smashing everything in his path. I moved on because I sort of thought he was acting dominant.

interesting, this guy came in quiet and no cows were scene? either he isn't the heard bull or he is the only bull in the immediate area? how often do bulls hang out by them selves in the rut?

we are going to hit the area again a couple times and see if we can get some action on a legal guy.

CanuckShooter
09-13-2009, 11:18 AM
They move around quite a bit when the rut really gets going, or they start getting pressured, so I wouldn't abandon your honey hole just yet. But if you decide to leave it be...you could always give us directions. ;-)

257WBYMAG
09-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Satalite bulls will travel herd to herd. The chances that he is THE herd bull are slim if no cows were present. (IMHO) I would suggest the next time in not bugeling at all, and just walk in cow calling..........and taking my wife with you lightmag...she's typing for me!! ha ha!

lightmag
09-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Satalite bulls will travel herd to herd. The chances that he is THE herd bull are slim if no cows were present. (IMHO) I would suggest the next time in not bugeling at all, and just walk in cow calling..........and taking my wife with you lightmag...she's typing for me!! ha ha!

lol, if your wife came with me she might not come back, lol... your thinking is along the same idea as mine in regaurds to cow calling only, we will be hitting it again wed night and friday morning.

BCrams
09-13-2009, 11:41 AM
He could be a satellite bull. However, given the elk herds in this region are sporadic in isolated pockets and mobile. That 5 pt could easily be a herd bull with his own cows nearby and he was moseying over to get another cow.

I've seen areas have an abundance of elk activity for a couple years straight to only the odd elk passing through.

I really wouldn't know, I'm just as new to elk hunting!

257WBYMAG
09-13-2009, 11:45 AM
lol, if your wife came with me she might not come back, lol... your thinking is along the same idea as mine in regaurds to cow calling only, we will be hitting it again wed night and friday morning.

Pleeeeeeeeeeease take her with you,LMAO. Good luck!!!

lightmag
09-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Pleeeeeeeeeeease take her with you,LMAO. Good luck!!!

sounds like she's a handful, lol... sorry, so far my brother and i are the only ones in there this year, too grown up and for most to know about or would ever think to check for elk, lol..

good luck

lightmag
09-13-2009, 12:11 PM
He could be a satellite bull. However, given the elk herds in this region are sporadic in isolated pockets and mobile. That 5 pt could easily be a herd bull with his own cows nearby and he was moseying over to get another cow.

I've seen areas have an abundance of elk activity for a couple years straight to only the odd elk passing through.

I really wouldn't know, I'm just as new to elk hunting!

Funny, experienced that this year, spot i shot my elk last year and called one out and seen cows the year before seems dead with very little sign this year?? we will work it more to be sure but it feels like the majority of elk have moved out?

Still have our "new" spot with the 5x5 and 2 more holes to hit though,,heee , you getting and action yet?