PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

Little Hawk
09-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Man, how cool is this software?
Buddy and I drew a shared moose in 5-04(A) west of Chilko Lk.
Neither of us have been in this country before so we're a little anxious about where to camp and what part of the M.U. represents promising moose habitat.
No worries!

"Ground Control to Major Tom..."

I climb aboard my space-ship, strap myself into my chair in front of my laptop and blast-off for the south Cariboo country...

Moments later I'm dropping from the clouds and zooming in on Chilko Lk and surrounding areas.

Way cool!

I've pretty much got a camp-spot picked out and I've never even been there.

Only thing is: It appears Hanceville is the last fuel depot going in and if my calculations are correct it could be close to 100/km to the Eishem/Tuzcha Lakes area. Not certain how much range I'll get out of the old Mo-Ho (or what the roads are like) and/or how much x-tra fuel we'll need to pack in. We run 4-stroke dirt-bikes as well but they don't use much.

Any of you guys' do this run before?

Steeleco
09-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Picked my camp site for last years hunt using Goggle earth. Now I've a Garmin GPS and can see exactly where I've been during the day, it's even cooler!

boatdoc
09-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Take extra fuel with you, and keep it out sight , or you can have visitors.
Good luck thats a nice place to hunt.

TRACKnTRAIL
09-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Fill up with extra gas before Hanceville. It was pretty pricey there a couple weeks ago. I think there is gas at Nemiya Valley (spelling?)also. But i am not positive.

c.r.hunter
09-13-2009, 09:07 PM
You can't use your dirt bikes in there. Check the regs, a few other restrictions as well.

Chuck
09-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Fill up with extra gas before Hanceville. It was pretty pricey there a couple weeks ago. I think there is gas at Nemiya Valley (spelling?)also. But i am not positive.

Nemaiah.............there ya go!

olharley guy
09-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Howdy, we were cruising around there last week in the old motorhome,( didn't go in that far though) I think you will suck up most of the gas on the 2 big hills after you leave Williams Lake.HA!
I would make sure you have real good tires and shocks as the roads were pretty heavy duty wasboard and some coarse gravel.
We were just exploring so I didn't go all the way there or all the way into the Gang Ranch on a different road-to much washboard and I didn't want to shake the motorhome to pieces but if I was going hunting it may have been a different story.
Beautiful country, lots of cattle and deer.
A couple 5 gal. jerry cans should be plenty to get you back to the main road. Good luck and shoot straight. Later

Little Hawk
09-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the replys and advice guys.
Will check the regs for vehicle restrictions and if we can only ride the main roads that's okay. We usually park and walk anyhow.

Mont: Cool site that Geo BC. Thanks.

c.r.hunter
09-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the replys and advice guys.
Will check the regs for vehicle restrictions and if we can only ride the main roads that's okay. We usually park and walk anyhow.

Mont: Cool site that Geo BC. Thanks.

No atv's period for the whole area, a few of the side roads- no motor vehicles period. So, basically wherever you can walk from your motorhome.

c.r.hunter
09-14-2009, 09:40 AM
OK, let me revise that, If you stay on the northern boundary around Big lake, the bike's are permitted, just not from 4:00am to 10:00am.