PDA

View Full Version : My opening day, (Lets hear your stories)

Vanman1985
09-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I thought I would share my season opener with you guys because I just can't wait to get out and do it again!!

I left home about 4:00am and proceeded to my hunting spot, on my way up before I even hit the gravel road..... TWO four point bucks, but it was well before legal shooting light and they proceeded onto private property so I bit my tounge and carried on. On the way up I passed a few does and a few 2 points, I got to the clear cut about 20 minutes before light and found a stump to sit on (keeping in mind the wind) Anyways, light rolls around and a single doe shows up, about 5 minutes after that ANOTHER big buck! (He was no B&C but he was big in my books) I was too far away to see if he was a four point but I knew he was big. I managed to get about a 100 - 150 yards away, using a burm in the slash as a rest I dropped to my stomach and had a look... all I could see were three points, about 6-7 mins go by and I'm dying to find a fourth point when his friend showed up, he was a small three point and he finally busted me, but what a rush!!!!! I left feeling good about my day, and to boot, I managed to bag two grouse on the way home. My 8 hour hunting day produced a total of 21 deer (mostly does and 2 points) 1 black bear, 4 grouse (2 came home) and a rabbit sighting.

I don't know if a guy could really ask for a better opening day, besides hunting season has just begun. Heading out duck hunting with some friends for the first time tommorow should be a blast.

PS - let's hear your opening day stories good or bad

gameslayer
09-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Sounded like a good day, I won't be up that way until October. Thanks for sharing your day. Headed out next weekend.

Vanman1985
09-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Here are some pics of the birds and my hunting rig!

kastles
09-12-2009, 09:32 PM
I scooted out after a short day at work on the tenth. I headed up Tamahi off the chilliwack lake road looking for deer or bear. Only thing was I had to stay in cell reception. As soon as I hit gravel my telus phone went out of area but my rogers phone kept reception the whole way. Back to the hunt, I had not been up that way since in six or seven years so I was scouting the area at the same time I passed and glassed an old cutblock and made a mental note to try sit on it for dusk. After touring a bit and finding no other blocks I returned to it, packed my pack, and figured I would hike up and over the rise to what looked like another area that had been logged and had a favourable wind. Keeping as quite as I could and cutting through some timber I noticed fresh tracks bounding outta there in a couple directions. I spooked something. Turned around and headed out and placed point on gps for future. All in all it was beautiful up there and was well worth the gas, time, and hole I put in the bottom of my car(can fit two fingers in from underneath). Cant wait for next weekend.

BearStump
09-13-2009, 12:25 AM
My opening day went about as good as I could have hoped for Mike H and I wet up in the chwk river valley at abot 4:30 am an went up high to find some blacktail bucks. got into our spot aroud 6:oo and spotted 4 bears at about 600 yds right off the bat. after 10 min of starin at 'em through the glass we started a stalk. 5 min into our bear stalk we walk right up on 2 does and a spike buck. well.... boom. now theres gonna be some meat in the freezer. pressures off.pack him out and get him in the shade down the mtn at the truck and its only 7:30. so back up the mtn. we go. get back into our spot and low and behold theres a frickin black bear (about 250-300 lbs) feeding on the gut pile from our deer. well.....boom. now the freezer is gonna be full.
Then we got a few ruffies to top it off.
What a great day!!

But I learned a good lesson today."think about how far you have to pack the damn thing out BEFORE you shoot" It took 5 hrs to pack out that bear through thick bush.

I'm DONE, goin to bed now.

Vanman1985
09-13-2009, 05:23 AM
"think about how far you have to pack the damn thing out BEFORE you shoot" It took 5 hrs to pack out that bear through thick bush.

I'm DONE, goin to bed now.

HA HAH HA that's awsome, I learned that lesson in '07 moose hunting in PG. We had Cavemans quad to help out but it still took about 4hrs!! Keep the stories coming