PDA

View Full Version : Moose rut early?

XMD70
09-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Went out in 7-10 Thursday evening (opening day) to make sure my tree stand was still standing. Sat there eating my sandwich and just before 7pm I heard a bull moose calling, grunting, etc. I gave a couple of cow calls and he came running right to me. I figure he had his calendar wrong, rut shouldn't be starting for while yet. Nice bull, tri-palm on both sides, but not too big. 50 yard shot. I was alone, no cell coverage where I was either. took me 40 minutes to dress him out. Rushed him to the butcher yesterday before the temp went to 28 degrees! My family still has one LEH tag, but saving it for for when we're all together in a couple of weeks.

d6dan
09-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Worked out well for ya, congrats and wheres the pics?.

jml11
09-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Nice work! There are always a few bulls that seem to start early, we played with one opening week in 7-7 last year. Came right in to about 10 yards.

Where are your pics?

RiverBoatFantasy
09-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Why does everyone always demand pictures on this site?

I for one do not take photos of everything I have ever bagged. Most times I dont even have a camera with me.

XMD70
09-12-2009, 09:19 PM
I have a couple of pictures, but seem to have no luck figuring out how to put them on this site. Any help out there?

Jelvis
09-12-2009, 10:21 PM
No good without the photo's -- pictures -- images -- lol -- +++ --
Moose start mounting around now -- til Oct 20 th -- finale -- +++
Pre rut is done, now it's Time to Dance -- moose call -- whaaaaaa ugh --repeat -
Jel -- it's now or never --

sceddy
09-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Me to, hard time posting photos, ????

Sitkaspruce
09-13-2009, 09:13 AM
I have a couple of pictures, but seem to have no luck figuring out how to put them on this site. Any help out there?

Me to, hard time posting photos, ????

Do a search on here.

I posted how to do it on Hoyt's 6 point bull elk a couple days ago.

Also I believe it is under pictures and video sub-topic.

As for the moose. I have called them in from Sept 9th to Oct 25th. I have called cows in all year long.

The moose will be starting to move around and get their oats up, but the peak will still be from Sept 25th to Oct 5th. The pre-rut will be about a week earlier.

Cheers

SS

Stone Sheep Steve
09-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Yesterday morning @ 2:25am I was woken up by a bull moose grunting like crazy. Hot days and a bright moonlight.
Congrats on your bull!

SSS

Jetboat
09-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Congrats on getting your bull and into the cooler in time. At 8:00am this morning I came across two little immature bulls hanging around one of my wells at work & both the little tykes had their velvet scraped off. I have one more day to work then three weeks off to chase elk & moose so now I have another spot picked out. Hey Jelvis, need some GPS coordinates? :wink:

Brett
09-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Congrats! Moosinaround and I found "Timmy" and his family today and will be trying to spend some quality time with him soon:)

takla1
09-14-2009, 12:16 AM
yes i agree on the moose starting early.just got back from a deer hunt south of PG and came acrosse a few fresh poplars that had just recently been thrashed by a bull.harvested a three point mulie,a doe {youth} and a good size bear in three days

Paulyman
09-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Why does everyone always demand pictures on this site?

I for one do not take photos of everything I have ever bagged. Most times I dont even have a camera with me.

It's law,check the site regulations!

tomahawk
09-14-2009, 09:09 AM
They are not starting earlier this year than any other yr, PG biologists have recorded bulls calling in Aug out at Purden Mtn in the past. Younger bulls start early and stay active longer, while the prime breeders peak for a shorter time frame.

Jetboat
09-14-2009, 09:33 AM
They sure aren't rutting early up here with the temps hitting 29C this last weekend :shock: Still like the middle of summer and it's mid-Sept already :confused: