PDA

View Full Version : Single spike whitetail - Legal?

aletheuo
09-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Saw a very large (for a spike) wt the other morning. Antler about 4 inches long... only one, completely in velvet, nothing on the other side. Is it legal?

ruger#1
09-12-2009, 08:01 PM
If its any buck season, then yes it is. Im not sure but it has to be over an inch long.

amerikazmoswanted23
09-12-2009, 08:03 PM
it's a buck, the reg says tine or point "means a branch of an antler which is longer than its breadth and is atleast 2.5 cm in length"

lilhoss
09-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Yup,go back and smack'em.

aletheuo
09-12-2009, 08:23 PM
definition of spike buck: means a male deer having antlers that are... note: antlers rather than antler
says antlers in defn of buck as well.

3kills
09-12-2009, 08:52 PM
kill him he is legal...

Jelvis
09-12-2009, 09:03 PM
aletheuo maybe it's better you did'nt shoot it. Was the spike in the center kinda of the bucks forehead ?
_______________________ UNICORN ___________________________
Jel -- Corn

aletheuo
09-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Did I say I didn't shoot? Did I say I did? Not unicorn as in centre, definitely in the right place. Full velvet - almost like I touched it and then turned it over and... UDDERLY ridiculous!

3kills
09-12-2009, 09:22 PM
so what u are sayin is u seen a white tail buck shot it walked up to it and seen it was a doe with a spike..its still legal..

aletheuo
09-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Yup - just like that. Good friend of a friend shot it and cut his tag antlered and shook his head. He took no pics because he was a little confused and didn't want to cause a stir. Saw it with my own eyes. Spike... udder... . No male parts under there. She appeared to be 2 1/2 years old and I'm sure she'll be good eats.

ruger#1
09-12-2009, 09:42 PM
I seen one with a fawn up in Fort Steele. the antler looked like part of a golf club, watched it for a couple of days.

Jelvis
09-12-2009, 09:46 PM
that happens now and then by Eastgate near Princeton doe with antler --
---- WHAT ---- if you saw antler you did nuttin wrong -- get it -- nuttin --
Udderly disturbing -- to say the teats i mean least -- lol --
Jel -- roll me over lol -- Yikes -- Bio's dream study -- too bad but the venison
-- wood yah eat it or take it in to your nearest Vetrinarian -- one sick puppy dog --

MuleyMadness
09-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I have in fact heard about the exact same thing happening to a fella with a whitetail here in the Kamloops area (right in the corrals near Stuart Lake for all you that know the area)...the definition is antlered, not buck or doe, and this one like yours only had a single spike and udders...but both are legal. Where was yours.

aletheuo
09-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Yeah - the story is pretty short. The doe was on the drivers side on the way up, partner looked at her but didnt' see anything unusual. We turned around on the landing a 1/4 mile up and came back down and she was on my side. No fawns but I said to the driver... hold it, I think that thing's got something on top. Held up the 10x42 Monarch's and sure enough it was a 4" velvety spike so I told my partner who said... well, that's good eatin'. Take 'im if you want him. As we were talking and I was hummin' and hawin' the deer ran another 30 yards and stopped just before the trees and I had to make a decision so I grabbed my rifle. Steak it is. I layed the crosshairs behind the shoulder and sent a 140 grain barnes at 3080 at him 70 yards away. Bang flop. Lost a bit of meat on the offside shoulder because he/she was quartering away and a shattered rib sent splinters everywhere.

So, I go to drag him down to the road and examine the antler - velvet still growing just like fur (shouldn't around here this time of year) and then I see the teats! I was shocked but not too shocked actually. I had heard that it happens so I dragged her to the road and gutted her. I was careful not to pull on the antler because if that baby fell off no one would have believed me. Had to keep that for sure. Decided we better leave the udder on, too.

So there you go. A good friend of a friend shot an antlered doe. That's his story and now he has to wait til Oct 10th to go WT hunting again because that's when his anterless tag starts if he doesn't get a mulie before then! LOL