PDA

View Full Version : competitive shooting (youth)?

darrin6109
09-12-2009, 05:49 PM
my 10 year old son is very interested in getting involved in competitive shooting, im not sure where to start? are there clubs,private lessons etc?
any help would be great,
thanks
darrin

LeverActionJunkie
09-12-2009, 05:54 PM
There definately are competitive shoots that your son could get started in. What is he interested in trying and where do you live? Some club's don't offer all the different disciplines but most have something for everybody.

darrin6109
09-12-2009, 05:56 PM
im in Maple Ridge

steelheadSABO
09-12-2009, 06:00 PM
contact mission rod and gun they where trying to get kids to train and go in competition shoots

SharpShot6
09-16-2009, 07:16 PM
contact mission rod and gun they where trying to get kids to train and go in competition shoots
I am darrins son and me and my dad are already mission rod and gun members, whe have benn sence i was 7(i am 10):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

dutchie
09-16-2009, 07:42 PM
I am darrins son and me and my dad are already mission rod and gun members, whe have benn sence i was 7(i am 10):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hey Bud! Wheres the first post joke?

I am just bugging you.:razz:

If i was you I would try to figure out what kind of shooting you would like to get into. There are many different disaplines of competitive shooting. There is F-class shooting, Tactical Shooting, Palma Style which is Open Sights 300yds and 900yds ect...

I am not too sure how much you are your dad want to spend on equipment but starting with a .223 in a Rem 700 or Savage heavy barrel would be a great start. The Bushnell 4200 Tactical is a VERY VERY good scope that you can find for around $500 and a used Rem 700P for approx $800. Now all you need is the reloading gear.

Competitive shooting, you need to have a heavy barrel becasue you can be taking in excess of 100 shots per day in a match. 300 shots in a weekend.

I just got into F-class myself and the costs can be daunting, but it is alot of fun!

If you reload, not including Brass costs, you will be spending approx $.50 a shot for .223, and in .308 Approx $.75 per shot.

Go to www.riflebarrels.ca (http://www.riflebarrels.ca) and send Ian a message, he will definatly help you out with how to get going. I have also talked to Paul quite a few times and he would be very excited to find someone younger then myself looking at getting into the sport (I am 23 and he was thinking it was great that a "youngster" like me was so interested!)

I am not too sure about when I am going up to the range again but if you and you dad would want to come and shoot the gun sometime, Feel free!

PM sent

Cheers

Dutchie

mikeinajeep
09-16-2009, 08:17 PM
When I was a kid I took air gun to the state level and really enjoyed it. It is way cheaper. If you like it alot you can go along way with a $300 gun and a butt load of pellets.