PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek/Empire Valley/Princeton

Axeman
09-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Hello all, let me start by saying please forgive me if I'm beatin' a dead horse. In a nutshell my buddy and I hunt the weekends here at home in the LML. We're this year gonna do the stereotypical Thanksgiving outta towner. Hunting the local hills is great but doesnt always mean deer in the freezer. I'm nowheres near dumb enough to think an outta towner is a sure thing, I'm just lookin' for the best bang for my buck (mind the pun). I know the main three are all gong shows in their own right but for two guys with good boots and strong backs (we don't road hunt) what do you all figure would be the best bet? Thanks.

Deadshot
09-11-2009, 06:06 PM
With good boots & strong backs, I'd hunt the breaks of the Fraser. A little more open than the other two.

hillclimber
09-11-2009, 09:33 PM
X2 with what deadshot said but if you do not time it right you will say i shouldn't have wasted my time.

09-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Clearwater .....everyone knows thats where the big bucks are ......

those places you mention are all shot out are they not??

Yep, Clearwaters the place to head.

CT

4pointhunter
09-11-2009, 10:49 PM
empire area is shot out and overcrowded, last time i was there my partner allmost got shot and he was wearing an orange hat, never seen a buck untill we were back on pavement and this was in november

snowhunter
09-12-2009, 06:49 AM
I have also seen wolf in Clearwater area, but did no fill my cow moose limited entry tag. And of course, the only moose I encountered was a large bull moose which i could not shoot.

Locals told me about "Vancouver hunters", who would come to Clearwater area to hunts for trophy mulies in the "high country".

Mckinney Creek Adventures
09-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Rock Creek has her all.

I noticed you are a sledder. We have great sledding in the area also.

Good luck.

MCA

Axeman
09-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the input guys. As tempting as Clearwater is, I do want some sorta challenge. All ya ever hear about is the damn deer fightin' each other to jump in the back of your truck. No I was leaning towards Rock Creek area anyway and that's pretty much what I'm set on. Thanks for the sled info MCA, roughly what time of year do you guys start getting decent conditions?

Mckinney Creek Adventures
09-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Hey Axeman,

Sorry for the delay. Went out for a late morning hunt and bagged a 6x7 elk this afternoon. A very exciting and busy afternoon. All done and hanging at Kodiak Meets now. Must have been 20 + degrees out there this afternoon.

We can start trail riding from here in early December usually. Can hit some alpine areas usually mid November. We have great variety of riding from family trails etc. to challenging alpine.

MCA

Axeman
09-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Congrats MCA! Thanks again for the info. Enjoy the elk.