PDA

View Full Version : The Problem with Ultra Light Gear. ..

Salty
09-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Well, I've been a little trout crazy lately. It started with a trip up to PG and then to Rupert and the ferry home in August. I put my sweet little Abu-Garcia 6 1/2' UL spinning rod and reel through the paces in lakes and rivers up there and had too much fun catching rainbows and even one cutty around Terrace.

Its about a perfect outfit for this kind of fishing. I've got it loaded up with 8lb test spider wire. (I know, should be less but I don't like littering the bottom with lost lures ) :tongue: I can still feel every little tap as the gear touches bottom or strikes from even minnows. I rarely miss a hit of a good fish as a flick of the wrist sets the hook right now it seems. .. Bought this rig this year and its already a bit of a veteran and will be for years to come it apears. :cool:

So the trout crazy continues back at home on the island. A buddy and I hit a few lakes last weekend. Had some fast C and R action in several spots. I killed one panner rainbow and about a 14" cut.

Yesterday I made a quick stop to the confluence of two rivers where another small stream hits as well. Its one of the most gorgeous little pools around and has few but sometimes very good sized cutthroats. The recent heavy rain had backed off and the water was up a couple feet from its drought levels of two weeks ago. The water though, was nice and clear.

I saw a small jumper as I scanned the pool and casted down stream a bit from there to a deeper depression. The yellow Blue Fox lure skipped off the surface landed again and I started a slow retreave. I felt a tap and raised the rod to feel resistance. There was a pause, then two head shakes then nothing. I tryed a few more casts in the same area to no avail. I spooked that hole I thought.

I moved upstream a bit and casted to the far edge of the other side of the pool. A fish absolutely smashed the lure as it hit the water, I pulled up sharply on the rod tip to a couple nice strong head shakes. A pause, a couple more head shakes then the reel starts screaming and the line heads to Cucamunga. WTF:shock: The fish ran back and forth several times and it was all I could do to keep it in the big pool for fear of having no chance if it hit the fast water. I'm thinking WTF is this, stealhead maybe? Then it jumped. Three times. A bloody Coho! What the hell buddy your a month early I'm thinking. ..

I'm not sure if it was more an act of playing the fish or an act of trying to not break the rod or cook the reel. lol Anyways, many minutes later I dunno 15 maybe I finally had him played out pretty good and getting him to my feet for about the tenth time I was able to do a tacky gum boot landing on the beach. The little single hook was just hanging on to the corner of his mouth and came out when I touched it. The camera was in the truck and I voted to nix that idea and get him cleaned up and released asap. (Salmon not open in this stream). I've caught shit loads of Coho in the ocean and am pretty good at estimating so I'll call him a very hook nosed male, bright and silver and about 14 lbs. I grabbed his tail, irrigated his gills by moving him back and forth and he came to and shot to the middle of the pool.

I looked the wee spinning rig over and it looks to be unharmed. I think I will be retiring it though, as far as any more river fishing goes this year. lol. ..

greenhorn
09-11-2009, 11:54 AM
You gotta love it when you have these sorts of problems while fishing!

Had a similar experience with a huge salmon on the end of my flyrod, hard to land but it was sure fun trying!

Cheers.

BlacktailStalker
09-11-2009, 12:34 PM
"tacky gum boot landing" ?

Salty
09-11-2009, 12:42 PM
"tacky gum boot landing" ?

Uh... Getting him near shore in about 6" of water and then shuffling him onto the beach with my gum booted feet sort of like a soccer player dribbling a ball. :? The line was twisted around his head and through his gills by then, efforts to grab his tail didn't work and I was really not wanting to risk breaking the line, loosing the lure and sending him off in a bad way. So I elected to try the 'gum boot landing' :smile:

BlacktailStalker
09-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Thats a hard situation.
Sounds awkward, glad to hear its not common practice to "beach" them, Best way to kill a fish but not have to witness it die.
Adam Lambroughton has a good piece called, "The Honourable Foot" I think every "fisherman" should read.
In short, never bring your fish intended to be released in less than 1 foot of water.
Though it sounds like yours was further ahead by breaking that rule and getting the line out of his gills.
I bet that fight was a blast.

Salty
09-11-2009, 03:00 PM
It was somewhere oh no, and a blast i would say. lol

Ya when targeting big fish in rivers I use heavier gear and waders so that its easy to release fish in deep water without even touching them usually, without much fear of the line snapping or getting cut by teeth. In this instance I just did the best that I could, under the surprise situation I ended up in.

I've done some volunteer work with hatcheries including catching and hauling brood stock so I've got some experience with keeping exhausted fish alive. The big thing is make sure they are clean if they touch the beach (no sand or muck stuck to them), and primarily that the gills are untouched and 'jump started' into breathing by irrigation. Also don't let them rub anywhere enough to scrape their protective slime off of the skin

I'm quite certain this buck coho will be just fine. He was on wet sand for about 30 seconds, good and clean after a gentle wash and he took off like a bullet. Your points though are well taken BS, my gum boot landing tecnique does not come recommended. :smile:

Johnnybear
09-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Great story Salty and thanks for sharing. Must of been a blast on that trout gear!!:-D.

My buddy in Tofino is using trout rods (with slightly heavier gear than you quoted) on the coho in the sound for clients with great success and smiles as of late (the September fishery). He runs heavy fly gear on the surface as well and is a blast.

Salty
09-14-2009, 11:21 AM
That's how I did most of my fishing when I lived Quatsino sound side. I was spoiled being on the water and able to go out whenever I wanted. I didn't take long to loose the trolling gear and hunt the Coho with lighter gear.

My weapons of choice were (still are) an 8 ft med spinning rod with Abu Garcia spinning reel w/14 lb fireline. And a 9 ft medium bait casing outfit with an Abu 6500 level wind with 12 lb mono. Fly rod late in the season too. too much fun. ..