PDA

View Full Version : Rocksteady's hunting thread for 2009

rocksteady
09-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Well, I have been all over the province this year fighting fire and am finally able to hunt....Spent 43 days away since June 20th til Monday this week....

SO, needless to say I have not had any time to scout and/or find elk...

Went out on Tuesday bow hunting...On the highway, in the dark, herd of elk on side of highway....

Go up the logging road to my favorite place, turn off on a spur and there goes a herd in the dark, maybe a dozen or so and a decent bull....Too black to count points....Walked in and scouted around, waited for daylight...Not a sound to be heard, tried the bugles/cow calls etc...Nada....

Went to the chiropractor on Tuesday afternoon, could not get out of bed on Wednesday morning at 4:00....Hurt like a SOB, hurt like I did before I went to the chiro, just a little different spot...

Felt better this morning, so went out early, snuck into another area with the rifle well before daylight.....Sat on my arse, as first light came, there was 4 cow/calf in the block, slowly they grazed over a little hill into a back bowl and a bull let out one two-tone call.....I tried bugling and cow calling back, but no response...Tried to cut them off and intercept but that did not happen....Also bumped into a WT doe and her little spotted fawn.....He was just spunky as hell, bucking and farting all over the place when he saw me....Mom did not move.....

Oh well, that hunting season, off to a different honey hole tomorrow morning....On holidays til Sep 28th, so stay tuned as the saga continues....:eek:

hillclimber
09-10-2009, 03:05 PM
definately had a better morning than me. i'd say by sept 28th most of your tags should be cut

blaine
09-10-2009, 06:11 PM
going off topic here but i would just like to thank you and the rest of the brave firefighters for the hard work you people do
thx blaine

Husq
09-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Sounds like you've got a good chunk of time to enjoy the out doors. I just finished my 9 days of vacation bow hunting near home, wish I had more though. I'm not to sad though, it ain't bad when you live right where you love to hunt.

What tags are you planning on filling?

leadpillproductions
09-10-2009, 07:07 PM
good luck ....

quadrakid
09-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Good luck, i always look forward to your day to day elk hunting updates.I,m headed out on Sat for a week in the east koots so don,t drop any critters till i get back.:grin:

Ambush
09-10-2009, 09:55 PM
About time you got this thread going for this year!

Good luck and don't end it to fast.

todbartell
09-10-2009, 09:56 PM
good luck and I will be watching this thread for some big elk action!

shaner338
09-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Good luck, can't wait to see some pics!!;)

sawmill
09-11-2009, 04:10 AM
Good luck Rock,I spent opening day pouring concrete for 10 hours.:cry:
Saturday morn can`t come too soon.

Everett
09-11-2009, 04:13 AM
Good luck Rock,I spent opening day pouring concrete for 10 hours.:cry:
Saturday morn can`t come too soon.

Don't worry every other schmuck in the EK was out last night it was quiete in the morning though

Little Hawk
09-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Ditto on the 'Good Luck' Rock!
Will await your updates with great anticipation.
It'll help keep me sane till we leave mid Oct for the EK.
Got a later moose draw near Chilko Lk so the whole deal gets moved later this yr.
All the Bull Elk will be sitting around smoking cigarettes by then...

rocksteady
09-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Took a 5 by 6 at 08:00 this morning....Not bad for my 3rd day of hunting in 2009....

Presently its in the garage, taking the hide off it....

Will post the full story with a tonne of pictures in say, maybe 3 hours....

Can not guarantee I won't be into the cold beer by then and typing non-sense....

brotherjack
09-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Took a 5 by 6 at 08:00 this morning....Not bad for my 3rd day of hunting in 2009....

Can not guarantee I won't be into the cold beer by then and typing non-sense....

Two things.

1. You suck for making me jealous like this!!
2. Congratulations!!!!

Ok, 3 things...

3. This thread is worthless without pics and a story!!!!

Poguebilt
09-11-2009, 10:58 AM
sweet!!! you get him in the spot we went to last year??

can't wait for the pics!

Kody94
09-11-2009, 10:59 AM

Congrats Mike!! Nicely done. This is going to be a short blog unless you intend to regale us with deer hunting now! ;)

Just FYI, you are 3 days of hunting ahead of me already. Work and family ob's totally SUCK.

Waiting for pics and story......

Cheers
4Ster

Ozone
09-11-2009, 11:29 AM

Its what we expect from you:razz:

Congrats

Buckman
09-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Congradulations Mike!

LYKTOHUNT
09-11-2009, 12:10 PM
going off topic here but i would just like to thank you and the rest of the brave firefighters for the hard work you people do
thx blaine
That goes for me as well. I was hunting in the mountains above the Yalocom River this past week where I could see a few fires on the side hills burning, that does not look like fun doing battle with the heat and steep terrain,again thanks.

dawn2dusk
09-11-2009, 01:46 PM
WOW! Well done. I look forward to the story and pics.

sawmill
09-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:Save the heart?I`m jealous but hopefull,going out tonight for a look around.

valleycowboy
09-11-2009, 04:30 PM
didn't you just start this thread??lol
congrats and can't wait to see the pics and hear the story!!

eastkoot
09-11-2009, 05:15 PM
How long does it take to skin an elk?????????????????

Everett
09-11-2009, 05:22 PM
That depends on how many beers you have while skinning I usualy have three while doing a deer so an elk has to be at least a halfsac:tongue:

killman
09-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Here ya go.:tongue:

http://randazza.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/easy-button.jpg

And Congrats!

rocksteady
09-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Settle down now....Jeesh..Guy can't skin an elk and after its at the butcher sit around and slay a 6 pack????

Okay, so I go into the same spot as yesterday that I saw the cows/calves and heard the bull....In there by 6:00, quiet like ninja...Along comes first light, nothing, along at about 7:00 here comes a quad...Frack !!! Road hunting on a quad at first light????

So got all pissed off at the goof, he never knew I was there, so I went to a little different area, close to where I got my bull last year...Usually the elk don't move into this area until they get a lot of hunting pressure....But I figured might as well go for a walk rather than sniping the nitwit on the quad...:mad::twisted:

So I go for a nice little leisurely stroll for about 2 or 3 kms, no fresh sign/tracks , nada...What I figured, no pressure yet, no elk....

So I am coming up a little hill that comes into open grasslands, look off in the distance, looks like a couple deer, up goes the binos...Calf elk and then a third elk puts up his head...BULL....And I see 6...This is about 120 yards away or so.......Patients grasshopper !!!!

So I belly crawl up the hill about 50 yards or so, cause just with the rise of the land I could only see antlers and part of its head....Get close to where I wanna be, cow elk steps out at about 30 yards and I am sitting in an open grassy field...I frreze, wait til she turns her head, pull up my face mask and wait....All total close to 15 cows/calves wander by and I know the bull is coming but can't see him,, except for the occassional antler tip...

Seconds/minutes seemed like hours....Eventually he walked out broadside at maybe 50 yards in teh open grasslands, put the x-hairs just behind the shoulder and BOOM....He bucked and started to run parallel, so on the run I dumped another into him.....He went 30 yards and piled it up....Watch says 08:00 Mountain time...SWEET !!!!

Called the wife, (woke her up, not too impressed), called couple other guys, had it back home by 11:00 ish, now at the butcher.....

The only picture I can post right now is this one, as all of the others are on my other camera and I can not retrieve them onto this computer.....There are some beauts, so be patient, I will try to get them downloaded from a different PC tomorrow.....

Sawmill - Sorry no heart Bud, first shot...Dead smack in the pumper, 2 nd shot, right through the liver....

Pogue - You betcha.....

Weight at the butcher....370 lbs... I would say a 3 1/2 year old bull....

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/DSC00805.jpg

rocksteady
09-11-2009, 07:11 PM
That goes for me as well. I was hunting in the mountains above the Yalocom River this past week where I could see a few fires on the side hills burning, that does not look like fun doing battle with the heat and steep terrain,again thanks.

Thanks guys...It has been a VERY long and drawn out season....Been a lot of places, saw a lot of fire....I am ready for some rain and /or snow....

Fire fighting is like elk hunting, its an addiction that oyu cannot get rid of....I don't ever plan to give up either...

quadrakid
09-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Well done Mike, sounds like a great morning.

J_T
09-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Rocksteady, congrats on a successful hunt. Feed the fever.

Ambush
09-11-2009, 07:46 PM
That's one short book there RS. "Once upon a time there was an elk. I killed it".

I was looking forward to coming home at night and reading your daily report, just like last year. You could'a drug it out a little.:razz:

Congratulations anyway!! I hope to do that someday.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

nano
09-11-2009, 07:55 PM
congrats!!!

rocksteady
09-11-2009, 07:57 PM
That's one short book there RS. "Once upon a time there was an elk. I killed it".

I was looking forward to coming home at night and reading your daily report, just like last year. You could'a drug it out a little.:razz:

Congratulations anyway!! I hope to do that someday.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Oh be patient, remember I still have a shared moose tag in 4-05 and a Goat Tag up the Bull River....

Plus still couple whitey tags in the wallet....

Everett
09-11-2009, 08:22 PM
I new there had to be a 6 pack in the mix nice looking elk you should buy one for the ass on the quad

09-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Settle down now....Jeesh..Guy can't skin an elk and after its at the butcher sit around and slay a 6 pack????

Good job mike, sounds like fun after a summer of firefighting.
Way to go.

ELKOHOLICBC
09-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Congrats Mike on a very nice bull. Where in the Bull River is your goat tag, and when you heading out there. I'm leaving today for two weeks to the bull. Stop in for a cold one.

rocksteady
09-12-2009, 08:52 AM
I don't plan to go for goat until about end of October, weather pushes down a bit, so less of a climb....

I think my tag is up Galbraith Creek area...Have not dug into it that deep yet....Had to get the elk out of the way first...

Stone Sheep Steve
09-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Crap Rock! You sure know how to ruin one of my favorite yearly threads!:mad:
How am I (and the rest of us landlubbers) going to get our daily elk hunting fix??!!:wink:

Way to get'er done!! Congrats!:cool:

SSS

BlacktailStalker
09-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Hey congrats, glad that spot produced.
Now we expect a ''drunken" reply in the near future :cool:

d6dan
09-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Nicely done Rocksteady, that said now its on to other critters:smile:. Good luck.

rocksteady
09-13-2009, 03:53 AM
Hey congrats, glad that spot produced.
Now we expect a ''drunken" reply in the near future :cool:

Trying to avoid doing that again, I was pretty embarassed...:oops::oops::oops:

Not having a few too many, just avoiding the net afterwards.....

Little Hawk
09-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Way to go Mike!
I'm jealous as hell. This year will be my 7th kick at killing an elk.
Been going to 4-26 and if it don't happen this year I think it'll be time for a change next year.

Good luck to you!

rocksteady
09-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Will be starting another thread today...Rocksteady's great whitetail adventure.....

Readers Digest version - Went scouting for elk, came back to truck, saw buck, shot buck...buck already at butcher....Photos and longer story to follow in seperate thread..:mrgreen:

Stone Sheep Steve
09-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Will be starting another thread today...Rocksteady's great whitetail adventure.....

Readers Digest version - Went scouting for elk, came back to truck, saw buck, shot buck...buck already at butcher....Photos and longer story to follow in seperate thread..:mrgreen:

Muley diary next???:-?

SSS

rocksteady
09-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Okay, so to bring this story full circle, I got my butt in gear to download the better pictures...

Here is one with me and my critter, once the Wife and team showed up to assist with the extraction...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/012.jpg

What I forgot to put in the original thread was that I had got my elk, in a motorized vehicle closure area. (Why do I do this to myself???)

Anyways, to get it out we utilized my quad trailer that I built (search the threads and you will see better pictures of it..)...Winched him on board, cut a couple of Douglas Fir trees, lashed them to the trailer like handles and we were off to the races....

To go the distance of maybe 500 yards, it took the 4 of us maybe 10 minutes....Enjoy....

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/014.jpg

BlacktailStalker
09-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Your elk has a log in its pooper !
Nice work!

rocksteady
09-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Got this picture off a buddys camera.....Ultimate in redneck elk transport, drove right down main street Cranny with it like this, lots of honks and thumbs up....

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/DSC03995.jpg

I love being a redneck !!!!

09-21-2009, 04:53 PM
That little trailer (and the extra hands) sure makes packing it out easier. How far did you have to go? Congrats on the hunt.

Amphibious
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Great Elk! I approve of the main-street drive. Ask WillyQBC about the time we went through McD's drive trough with an un-tarped bear on the roof ;)

budismyhorse
09-21-2009, 05:03 PM
next time put those dang hay-burners to work.

they gotta earn their keep!

rocksteady
09-21-2009, 05:52 PM
That little trailer (and the extra hands) sure makes packing it out easier. How far did you have to go? Congrats on the hunt.

Probably 500 to 600 yards through the open grasslands, with a couple little hills...

Tikka270wsm
09-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Nice pictures and congrats on your bull!

Poguebilt
09-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Im kinda torn between.. Rocksteady for Mayor of Cranbrook or Rocksteady... The Todd Bartell of Cranbrook!

hillclimber
09-21-2009, 07:02 PM
nice pics and nice bull. hope the rest of the season goes smooth too.

cheers
stefan

sawmill
09-22-2009, 04:52 AM
Got this picture off a buddys camera.....Ultimate in redneck elk transport, drove right down main street Cranny with it like this, lots of honks and thumbs up....

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/DSC03995.jpg

I love being a redneck !!!!
You da MAN!I also aprove of the mainstreet drive:biggrin:

Kody94
09-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Im kinda torn between.. Rocksteady for Mayor of Cranbrook or Rocksteady... The Todd Bartell of Cranbrook!

Whoa there....let's not get carried away. ;) Mayor is a slam dunk, but lets not pull an Icarus here and fly too close to the sun!!

You da MAN!I also aprove of the mainstreet drive:biggrin:

+3!

Rocksteady rocks. :)

trigger
10-10-2009, 09:26 AM
great thread rock. congrats on a very fine bull. I would have loved to bring a bull like that home. good luck on all the rest of your hunts this year.

hunter1947
11-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks for putting up your 2009 hunting tread Mike ,I love the pick and the stories of your hunts ,congrats on getting your elk http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.