PDA

View Full Version : More on Region 5

GoatGuy
09-10-2009, 12:33 AM
More to moose management
100 Mile House Free Press
September 8, 2009
http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_cariboo/100milefreepress/opinion/letters/57890742.html
To the editor:
Re: “Wildlife being mismanaged,” Guest Column, Aug. 26.
I appreciate that the authors of a letter to the editor to your newspaper recognize that our government has a responsibility for conserving wildlife and addressing the needs of First Nations. However, I am disappointed that the authors chose not to discuss their concerns with either Ministry of Environment staff in Williams Lake, or in Victoria, before writing their letter.
There is a long history behind moose and mule deer regulations in the Cariboo region.
Both moose and mule deer species are highly valued in the Cariboo by First Nations, resident hunters and guide-outfitters. For that reason, the amount of consultation on moose and mule deer regulations in the Cariboo region is among the most extensive in the province.
With respect to moose, over-harvesting in the past resulted in the need for progressively more restrictive regulations, which started with partial implementation of the Limited Entry Hunt (LEH) bull-only seasons for residents in 1993 and full implementation of the LEH by 1999.
Most antler-less hunting opportunities were closed in 1998 due to low moose densities. Moose harvest rates, estimated at nine per cent, are now comparable to other regions in the province.
The ministry’s approach to managing deer has been to control the population with progressively more liberalized limited entry antler-less deer seasons around agricultural areas. Maintaining sustainable harvests for mule deer bucks, through general open seasons, is an ongoing challenge due to strong hunter interest (from both resident and non-residents). A new buck regulation regime was established for the 2009 hunting season to address concerns of overharvest and skewed buck/doe ratios.
Wildlife biologists in the ministry are guided by an allocation policy that apportions the harvestable surplus amongst First Nations and resident and non-resident hunters.
All decisions associated with specific hunts are based on the best available information.
As a means of better explaining the numbers, and the decision-making process for the 2009 moose and deer hunting regulations for Region 5, I have asked ministry staff to extend an invitation to meet with the retired biologists. I hope they will accept the offer.
Barry Penner
Minister of Environment

Gateholio
09-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Looks similar to the letter that I received after voicing my concerns with Reg 5 deer seasons.

I hope the retired bios do take up the offer and that the meeting is actually productive, not just a facade for "we are doing something"

GoatGuy
09-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Looks similar to the letter that I received after voicing my concerns with Reg 5 deer seasons.

I hope the retired bios do take up the offer and that the meeting is actually productive, not just a facade for "we are doing something"

They will take them up on the offer, doing something is called 'listening to stakeholders', action isn't in the vocab.

This: "However, I am disappointed that the authors chose not to discuss their concerns with either Ministry of Environment staff in Williams Lake, or in Victoria, before writing their letter." I've seen several times. All it means is what want to hear you, marginalize your ability to deal with it and carry on with business.

After we cut all the jobs in the F&W Branch and CO service, and the money for inventory we'll find $400,000 and throw it into a zoo on grouse mountain.

Moose72
09-10-2009, 02:11 AM
Well i live in region 5 and in 37 years i have seen 2 cougars. This past 3 weeks myself and a few other friends have seen 7. Deer everywhere. Wonder whats gonna happen when we get a winter kill or other disease?

Fisher-Dude
09-10-2009, 05:42 AM
It's time the egos of the Penners and Stewarts were shelved for sound, science-based game management. Defending Stewart's poor decisions is not in the best interests of either the animals or the hunters.

I've been involved in enough "stakeholder consultation" to know "lip service" when I see it.

PGK
09-10-2009, 10:09 AM
But they're not allowed to travel out of region, because the gooberment you helped vote in cut most of the travel funding. O dam.
You can't shake the right while cutting off the left. It don work that way. Imma kill a buck in 5 this fall, just to make you happy, mmkay?

Fisher-Dude
09-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Tinney, what flavour of KoolAid has Rodger the Dodger been feeding you?

PGK
09-10-2009, 08:51 PM
I don know nothin, jus a dumb fish scientist. Hell, I'm not even going to buy tags this year because I'm so fed up with big game hunting and management.

Kody94
09-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Hell, I'm not even going to buy tags this year because I'm so fed up with big game hunting and management.

That'll show 'em!!

blackbart
09-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey Chris, maby you can save the MOE some money and stop posting on the www during work hours. Now that WILL SHOW THEM.

PGK
09-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey Chris, maby you can save the MOE some money and stop posting on the www during work hours. Now that WILL SHOW THEM.

Are you talking to me? Because I don't work for MoE and never have.