PDA

View Full Version : Moose LEH 5-13B

Alex
09-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi gents,

Well hunting season is here and I'm starting to get nervous! My girlfriend and I got a Moose LEH for 5-13B for Oct. 1st. I was looking at maps of the area and was a little overwhelmed by the size of the land and the extensive network of logging roads.

To my great regret, we won't be able to do any scouting beforehand so I'd greatly appreciate any help I could get. Now here's the kicker; I'll be towing a "boler" trailer so I'm looking for a remote enough location so we can get away from the road hunters but not too rough a road as to wreck the trailer. Once camp is set up, we can drive around though.

So if you know of a good spot or if you have any tips/leads (and are willing to help out fellow HBCers); please let me know!

Thanks,

Alex

Foxtail
09-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Over the past 4 years(not counting last year, we didn't get any LEH) we(My dad, a friend and I) have taken 4 bulls out of there. There are a ton of places to camp, but you won't get away from the road hunters and the farther you go west the more you will get into wolves. There is something like 250 LEH in that area alone every year. There are huge cut blocks up there. Early morning, glass the tree lines. Take a gps and make sure you are in your area because it is hard to tell without one. Tzenzaicut lake is a good place to camp but it gets windy. Get yourself a forestry map of the area because it has most of the roads marked on it. For deer, look closer to quesnel off of West fraser road. Most of it is private property but up some of the side roads is some good area.

You can PM me if you have any more questions.

Alex
09-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks Foxtail. Any idea where I can get a forestry map? I bought the backroads map but it doesn't seem too detailled.

Alex

Foxtail
09-11-2009, 08:20 AM
gouvernment office?

Gun Dog
09-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Forestry rec maps aren't printed any more but PDF versions used to be available on the forestry web site. The Backroad Mapbook is fine. How much detail do you need? The terrain is a mix of open fields and trees.

humble hunter
09-11-2009, 09:37 AM
we will be camping at Tzenciacut lake at the smae period. We have 2 draws in 5 13 A and 2 draws in 5 13 C. I think there is only 25 or so draws for your period so running into lots of hunters probably will not be the case. There is not much for deer around there either as most of them are down by the fraser. I will look for the boler trailer and come and talk to you.

Brett
09-11-2009, 08:24 PM
send mossinaround a pm we saw lots there last year , but I can't remeber the directions :)

moosinaround
09-11-2009, 08:32 PM
send mossinaround a pm we saw lots there last year , but I can't remeber the directions :)
Moosinaround???

moosinaround
09-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Over the past 4 years(not counting last year, we didn't get any LEH) we(My dad, a friend and I) have taken 4 bulls out of there. There are a ton of places to camp, but you won't get away from the road hunters and the farther you go west the more you will get into wolves. There is something like 250 LEH in that area alone every year. There are huge cut blocks up there. Early morning, glass the tree lines. Take a gps and make sure you are in your area because it is hard to tell without one. Tzenzaicut lake is a good place to camp but it gets windy. Get yourself a forestry map of the area because it has most of the roads marked on it. For deer, look closer to quesnel off of West fraser road. Most of it is private property but up some of the side roads is some good area.

You can PM me if you have any more questions.
4 Bulls out of there in the last 5 yrs, no LEH? I thought region 5 was all LEH for moose? Has been for like the last 12-13 yrs?? Someone correct me if I am wrong, cause I have passed up on some beautyies while deer hunting!!:shock: Moosin

moosinaround
09-11-2009, 08:36 PM
4 Bulls out of there in the last 5 yrs, no LEH? I thought region 5 was all LEH for moose? Has been for like the last 12-13 yrs?? Someone correct me if I am wrong, cause I have passed up on some beautyies while deer hunting!!:shock: Moosin
Ohhh oops:oops: I just read it again! Sorry!! Dusty at work today!! Moosin

Foxtail
09-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Ohhh oops:oops: I just read it again! Sorry!! Dusty at work today!! Moosin

No worries, Ya we didn't go last year. We also didn't fill all our tags the year before, had 3 bull LEH tags, shot 2 bulls in the same cut on the first day up and then didn't see another bull for the next 10 days.

Bobfl
09-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi gents,

Well hunting season is here and I'm starting to get nervous! My girlfriend and I got a Moose LEH for 5-13B for Oct. 1st. I was looking at maps of the area and was a little overwhelmed by the size of the land and the extensive network of logging roads.

To my great regret, we won't be able to do any scouting beforehand so I'd greatly appreciate any help I could get. Now here's the kicker; I'll be towing a "boler" trailer so I'm looking for a remote enough location so we can get away from the road hunters but not too rough a road as to wreck the trailer. Once camp is set up, we can drive around though.

So if you know of a good spot or if you have any tips/leads (and are willing to help out fellow HBCers); please let me know!

Thanks,

Alex
Without looking at regs, If 5-13B is on the east side of the hwy hunt Abhou lk. could have spelled it wrong but close. 40 min of hwy. This area produces many big bulls. Your odds are very good.
If the area is on the west side of the hwy. hunt beside 710 by blackwater river, this also produces a great many moose. The average rack size is 5 x 6. Plywood heads are rare but they are there.