PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Moose Hunting

bc sportsman
09-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Long time moose hunter here...shot lots of moose, many at close range after consistently calling them in to within 20-30 yds. So...this year I'm rifle hunting for elk and bow hunting for moose.

I'd appreciate some advice on what type of shots 'not' to take on a moose using a bow. I've successfully hunted deer by bow using my AR-34 bow, NAP Crossfires that perform flawlessly for me (yes...I've read all the comments about some of their other broadheads but these have worked great for me and they are tough).

For a moose, I'm guessing I avoid head-on shots into the brisket (too thick to penetrate with an arrow)? If presented with a head on shot...where would you suggest I aim? Assume the moose has come in and stopped to check me out some 20-30 yds away. I don't want to risk a wounding in any manner that may cause suffering so I'm hesitant in shooting for the neck...might just injure the throat and result in the animal not being able to drink or eat.

I'm assuming a side ways presentation by the moose with a lung shot into the rib cage is a reasonable one to take at that distance. Any comments?

And of course, quartering away would be ideal with a shot into the lungs through the diaphragm and completely missing the ribs.

I won't be taking any shots from the rear.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

moosecaller
09-09-2009, 09:33 PM
I have taken 3 moose with a bow 2 broadside and 1 quarter away, all 3 dropped within 20 yards of the shot. 2 of the 3 offered a face on for about 3-4 mins. I just waited them out for the broadside too small a shot for head on in my opinion could have done it but choose not to. 2 others never did give me a broadside and I let them pass rather than do the frontal shot, I guess if you got into the chest cavity through the windpipe area just above the brisket it would be a dead moose but then again why take the chance?

BillyBull
09-09-2009, 09:46 PM
I have never taken a moose with a bow but I have talked with some guys who are good at this and as Moosecaller mentioned already these guys wait for the moose to turn, if it starts to walk they give a call and get it to pause and turn... good luck in your new adventure.

bc sportsman
09-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys...just what I was thinking...leave the frontal shots out of the equation.

tomahawk
09-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys...just what I was thinking...leave the frontal shots out of the equation.

Amen, I've lung shot bull moose (they did not know I was there, they were looking ofr the cow call), furthest went 28 yds total from arrowing.