PDA

View Full Version : Nice Outdoor Ethics???

338 whisper
09-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I went out the other night with my dad to set up for our week of elk hunting to see if anyone was camped their. Last week some bow hunters were camped their but when we got there they had left. So we set up our camp the area looked petty clean untill I walked over to bank of the creek and what a mess there was toilet paper and crap eveywere about 20 piles some people have class all they had to do was dig a hole and burry it. They also left a huge bundle of plastic rolled up by a rock it was about 20x20 we cleaned up there mess with a shovel and burried it and took the plastic back home with me to the garbage . I hope I see them next year so I can phone the COs and have them checkout there camp. That makes me so mad:x:x and give's outdoorsman a bad name. They's guy's had a huge trailer and atvs mountain bikes why couldn't they just bring a shovel adnwhat ever they bring in bring out. Insin't that the normal???:roll::roll::o

BlacktailStalker
09-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Some people are just idiots, fact of life.
Good of you to clean it up, I would have too.

ROEBUCK
09-09-2009, 08:37 PM
That Is So Gross!!!!
Ive Experianced The Same On Many Occasions
Its A Shame People Would Do That In Such A Beutiful Place As Bc

Angel
09-09-2009, 08:45 PM
people are like that no matter where you are. Its not hard to clean up after yourself and makes the world a little cleaner.... isnt our cardon foot print big enough :roll:

boonerbuck
09-09-2009, 08:46 PM
I don't like seeing that. I flew into a lake once and was disgusted by the stuff people couldnt be bothered flying out. Even after arguing with one of the guys with us who had the "why should we" attitude, I still found room in the plane to take out at least some of the propane tanks left behind.

I can live with the idea of leaving something usefull in those camps like a small wood stove or bucket but for heavens sake, fly it in....fly it out.

martyonthewater
09-09-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm just glad my kids are learning how important it is too leave a campsite cleaner than you find it. Every time we go out in the bush it makes me so proud too see there disgust at the way some people leave the bush, then we clean it up the best we can

RiverBoatFantasy
09-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Did you happen to find any Tum Hurtins cups or Mudonalds wrappers? What about cigarette butts? People can be disgusting. The crap is no big deal. I am sure a coyote would find it to be a fine meal.

mcrae
09-09-2009, 09:09 PM
I had to clean up my spot last week as well before I could settle in to camp. They had crapped everywhere and left toilet paper everywhere...I don't get why people do it either???

buckguy
09-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Good on you for manning up and taking care of thier dirty buisness. It is a shame some people do not respect our beautiful province. Maybe, if you get caught you should be sent to...(insert other place here...:lol: )..
Hopefully karma will catch up to them in the end.

PGK
09-09-2009, 09:26 PM
I think we've got bigger problems than a bunch of hunters shitting in the bush...I've seen a lot worse camps than that

RiverBoatFantasy
09-09-2009, 09:30 PM
I think we've got bigger problems than a bunch of hunters shitting in the bush...I've seen a lot worse camps than that

I agree. I get much more upset when I encounter 5 dead moose in a camp of 2 that looks like "the town dump" and always has looked like the town dump year over year. It's tradition and sustenance you know.

Hunterguy
09-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Ran into a camp one year that was vacated and was a disaster, garbage, everywhere, co. buddy came to camp and we shot the shit, told of him about some pigs who left their garbage, he took the time to go up there and rooted through the garbage and found an address, 5-2 area, phone call, next weekend the mess better be cleaned up or the big fine, long drive from Vancouver the next weekend but they showed up and the place was spotless.

Gateholio
09-09-2009, 11:42 PM
I don't know what Boy Scouts is like these days, but back when I was a kid we did plenty of backpack, kayak, canoe trips. SOme were weekends, some were 2 -5 weeks long, but we always had a rule- Leave no trace.

Yes, we would stand poles we used for our tarps up so that someone may use them again, and we would leave extra wood at our firepit, but the firepit never ever contained a burned out tin can, there was no wrappers or other garbage left behind, orange peels that were visible were frowned upon and we sure as shit buried our shit!

I have no clue why people can't burn or take out what they brought in. Heck, if you absolutely MUST, at least bury what you know will eventually break down, like paper or a tin can. PS aluminum can't wont' rust away....

Gateholio
09-10-2009, 01:10 AM
At one of our regular hunting camps north of the Gang I put up a plywood sign a few years ago that spelled "PLEASE KEEP CAMP CLEAN!"
It worked! The camp is always spotless and some of the hunters have even left behind some useful items such as folding chairs, water pails etc.

Great low key, low tech approach to a well used camp area.

When people see a sign like that, most reasonable people think "Some people have a vested interest in this site. Let's not muck it up and look bad"
:smile:

I will admit that there have been times on camping or fishign or even hiking trips that we have been known to get carried away, toss a bunch of empties around, etc. But when we leave, we clean it all up.

Devilbear
09-10-2009, 02:35 AM
This used to be such a bad problem in the Elk Valley,that we had to clean camps when I was a young beginner in the BCFS at Fernie, it made me POed then and still does. I have cleaned camps from the Yalakom to the Santa Rosa road behind Christina Lake and hauled tons of garbage out, I hate scumsuckers who leave anything other than footprints and vehicle tracks behind.

In Oct. 2001, I took a guy from the Lower Mainland into a special Elk hunting spot in the West Kootenays and he had told me of his extensive bush experience and had guided for Bob Cutts, he claimed, in the Flathead. Well, he was a bozo of the worst kind and since he developed the "shites" on the trip, he crapped all over near the campsite and WOULD NOT bury any of his piles of crap and paper, even when I repeatedly suggested that he should.

I cleaned up garbage, burned it, buried his crap piles and collected over a dozen "disposable" propane canisters for disposal at the Crawford Bay refuse station. It was a gorgeous Oct. week with fabulous, clear weather and what I remember most is this mighty "bushman" whining about the "cold" constantly and leaving his "dumps" all over......he finally, after three days of a two week trip, decided to come home early as he made up some bullschitt about being "needed" at work, I was so thankful to get away from him that I just went along with it and got home.

This issue is one that the "antis" can and gladly WILL use to close down ALL hunting here in BC and hunters NEED to understand that WE MUST present an image to the general public that is spotless or we will cause our own demise.

doubled
09-10-2009, 05:40 AM
I always make it a practice of mine to take home a piece or two of garbage from the spot I visited that day. It is not much but in the end, it helps.

RiverBoatFantasy
09-10-2009, 07:10 AM
This used to be such a bad problem in the Elk Valley,that we had to clean camps when I was a young beginner in the BCFS at Fernie, it made me POed then and still does. I have cleaned camps from the Yalakom to the Santa Rosa road behind Christina Lake and hauled tons of garbage out, I hate scumsuckers who leave anything other than footprints and vehicle tracks behind.

In Oct. 2001, I took a guy from the Lower Mainland into a special Elk hunting spot in the West Kootenays and he had told me of his extensive bush experience and had guided for Bob Cutts, he claimed, in the Flathead. Well, he was a bozo of the worst kind and since he developed the "shites" on the trip, he crapped all over near the campsite and WOULD NOT bury any of his piles of crap and paper, even when I repeatedly suggested that he should.

I cleaned up garbage, burned it, buried his crap piles and collected over a dozen "disposable" propane canisters for disposal at the Crawford Bay refuse station. It was a gorgeous Oct. week with fabulous, clear weather and what I remember most is this mighty "bushman" whining about the "cold" constantly and leaving his "dumps" all over......he finally, after three days of a two week trip, decided to come home early as he made up some bullschitt about being "needed" at work, I was so thankful to get away from him that I just went along with it and got home.

This issue is one that the "antis" can and gladly WILL use to close down ALL hunting here in BC and hunters NEED to understand that WE MUST present an image to the general public that is spotless or we will cause our own demise.

Wow, sounds like you had a shitty trip. I am such a saint that I crap into used ziploc bags and pack it out.

mrdoog
09-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Wow, sounds like you had a shitty trip. I am such a saint that I crap into used ziploc bags and pack it out.

In your case it's no big deal anyways; I'm guessing your crap doesn't stink.;)

boatdoc
09-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Hey 338 whisper, was this camp on Bloom creek at the caven rd junction?
Saw the "bow hunters" camp there also.
These guys were riding around with a guy in the box of pick-ups with his bow ready, "just in case they seee a deer on the side of the road".
Nice, but the guys with the mini-van side doors open, guys hanging out, bows in hand take the cake, now thats real bowhunting.

martyonthewater
09-10-2009, 08:03 AM
I don't know what Boy Scouts is like these days, but back when I was a kid we did plenty of backpack, kayak, canoe trips. SOme were weekends, some were 2 -5 weeks long, but we always had a rule- Leave no trace.

Same for me, nothing has changed as both my boys are in scouting and other than the fact there are now girls allowed in boy scouts, the message is the same. It does seem however that 'camping' in the scouts has gotten pretty soft though, I don't remember ever camping in cultivated commercial campsites but that now seems to be the norm. I just make sure that when we go camping on our own we are roughing it and once again- leave it cleaner than we found it.

RiverBoatFantasy
09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
One season, while camped on Tuchodi I tried an environmentally friendly feces management tactic.

My hunting partner and I each used a big garbage bag to poop in and dispose of the dirty poopoo paper.

The system worked great until day 5. While out hunting a bear entered camp and devoured both bags. I tracked that bear and searched high and low for the "Glad Bag bear dump" to no avail. I felt very bad that the plastic was out there somewhere in a steamy pile of bear crap.

Mr. Doog, the bear thought so highly of our poop it left with a full belly and did not touch anything else. Not only does my poop not stink, it apparently tastes good!

danfloris
09-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Hey 338 whisper, was this camp on Bloom creek at the caven rd junction?
Saw the "bow hunters" camp there also.
These guys were riding around with a guy in the box of pick-ups with his bow ready, "just in case they seee a deer on the side of the road".
Nice, but the guys with the mini-van side doors open, guys hanging out, bows in hand take the cake, now thats real bowhunting.

Hey PAL back off on the bow hunters bit there. there are ******s everywhere you go and because the "bow hunters" did it doesn't mean there all like that Ive seen shit that "rifle" hunters have done that would make a guy sick don't be talking shit about bow hunters! its pretty hard to fit a bow out a ****ing truck window if you know what i mean! i was hunting last year and a guy passed me in a sidekick and the passenger was standing out the sun roof with a gun in his hands. does that mean all rifle hunters do that?

all hunters are hunters you start attacking bow hunters you might as well quit hunting now casue the end will come fast.

some freaking people.:!:

steel_ram
09-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Hey PAL back off on the bow hunters bit there. there are ******s everywhere you go and because the "bow hunters" did it doesn't mean there all like that Ive seen shit that "rifle" hunters have done that would make a guy sick don't be talking shit about bow hunters! its pretty hard to fit a bow out a ****ing truck window if you know what i mean!

all hunters are hunters you start attacking bow hunters you might as well quit hunting now casue the end will come fast.

Wow! The "*****s" and "****ing" realy seal your argument.:-?

Back to the mess thing, one of my peeve's are the people that pick up their dog's poop in the little bags, but chuck it into the bushes or leave it on the side of the trail for someone else to pick up.

RiverBoatFantasy
09-10-2009, 01:09 PM
It is well known that the best bow hunters never fart or poop in the woods out of fear of scaring the game away.

It is likely why they are usually so full of themselves.

Gateholio
09-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Hey PAL back off on the bow hunters bit there. there are ******s everywhere you go and because the "bow hunters" did it doesn't mean there all like that Ive seen shit that "rifle" hunters have done that would make a guy sick don't be talking shit about bow hunters! its pretty hard to fit a bow out a ****ing truck window if you know what i mean! i was hunting last year and a guy passed me in a sidekick and the passenger was standing out the sun roof with a gun in his hands. does that mean all rifle hunters do that?

Knock off the ****** stuff, please.

martyonthewater
09-10-2009, 01:34 PM
It is well known that the best bow hunters never fart or poop in the woods out of fear of scaring the game away.

It is likely why they are usually so full of themselves.
always trying to make friends:roll:

trapperRick
09-10-2009, 02:13 PM
That just pisses me off My buds and I have met at the same spot for 17 years and it is just the same as when we first found it except we dug and built a shitter no walls but at least you can sit.

mrdoog
09-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Mr. Doog, the bear thought so highly of our poop it left with a full belly and did not touch anything else. Not only does my poop not stink, it apparently tastes good!

LOL Perhaps you guys should try chewing your food better!

bad arrow
09-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks for cleaning it up 338, some people figure their the only ones out there in the bush, dig a hole then bury it, simple.

leadpillproductions
09-10-2009, 07:10 PM
I would have a problem with the plastic .You tell me everytime you take a crap you bury it i dont think so, but saying that it's not that hard to dig a hole if your camped there.

boatdoc
09-10-2009, 07:16 PM

It was meant tongue in cheek, as if you can do drive by bow hunting.
I was not craping on bow hunters, what do you think i was doing there?
And i think caling me PAL is insulting.

danfloris
09-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Knock off the ****** stuff, please.

HA HA HA or what?

i can talking like i want to talk there buddy. i don't care if i offend you i talk how i talk and when i read some bull about archery hunters i will voice my opinion. thanks for the input though.

that's all i will say on this post im not gonna argue sorry for disrupting the post but i cant stand seeing thing like that said about bow hunters.

Ozone
09-10-2009, 09:12 PM
HA HA HA or what?

i can talking like i want to talk there buddy. i don't care if i offend you i talk how i talk and when i read some bull about archery hunters i will voice my opinion. thanks for the input though.

Some people just dont get it.

IBTL:cool:

yiorgo3
09-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Good on ya!! I have done the same before. It sucks but you feel good that you did a good deed and that is all that matters!

PGK
09-10-2009, 09:15 PM
HA HA HA or what?

that's all i will say on this post im not gonna argue sorry for disrupting the post but i cant stand seeing thing like that said about bow hunters.

Or your 87th post will be your last, and you will no longer be a part of the HBC experience. So calm your arse down, and enjoy the ride. Or you will get booted. Speaking from experience :biggrin:

That said, the guy that made 'rules' for the internet should be kicked, shot, hung and then burned at the stake :biggrin:

RiverBoatFantasy
09-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Or your 87th post will be your last, and you will no longer be a part of the HBC experience. So calm your arse down, and enjoy the ride. Or you will get booted. Speaking from experience :biggrin:

That said, the guy that made 'rules' for the internet should be kicked, shot, hung and then burned at the stake :biggrin:

I'll poop to that! I am a very experienced arse.

I hope this thread does not get locked. I have many more outdoor poop management strategies to present.

Large plastic paint or oil cans with lid work very well. You could even place a toilet seat over the opening for comfort. Careful with the pressure. I advise practicing the "gentle squeeze" at home for a few weeks. You can even hoist it in the trees so the bears wont eat it. It would be awful if a starving grizzly were forced to eat a hunter's poop.

I recall that rafters on the Tatshenshini were reported to carry poop onboard the raft in such buckets for the duration of the trip.

Gateholio
09-10-2009, 09:57 PM
]
HA HA HA or what?

You don't have to worry about offending me, I don't get offended easily. What you have to worry about is getting booted off HBC for being rude.

You might also want to go back and read the thread again. It's not about bashing bowhunters, it's about some lazy slobs that happen to be bowhunters.

mrdoog
09-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm confused.
Unless you were in a watershed, why would it be required to haul your poo around with you?
Every other living creature poos in the woods and nature seems to take care of it.
What is wrong with pooping in a hole and covering it when you're done?

Singleshotneeded
09-11-2009, 12:23 AM
:lol: I agree with MrDoog, do 'er in a hole and cover it up...they even have toilet paper that biodegrades faster than regular tp...

Ltbullken
09-11-2009, 05:02 AM
That's the sort of behaviour that gives hunting a bad name. They are badly hurting our sport when they do that. Hope you see them around next year!

Ltbullken
09-11-2009, 05:07 AM
One season, while camped on Tuchodi I tried an environmentally friendly feces management tactic.

My hunting partner and I each used a big garbage bag to poop in and dispose of the dirty poopoo paper.

The system worked great until day 5. While out hunting a bear entered camp and devoured both bags. I tracked that bear and searched high and low for the "Glad Bag bear dump" to no avail. I felt very bad that the plastic was out there somewhere in a steamy pile of bear crap.

To us, it's only poop. To the bear, it's MANNAH!! :grin:

RiverBoatFantasy
09-11-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm confused.
Unless you were in a watershed, why would it be required to haul your poo around with you?
Every other living creature poos in the woods and nature seems to take care of it.
What is wrong with pooping in a hole and covering it when you're done?

One would have to make a lifetime study into the minds of the Tatshenshini rafting culture. They are a psychological phenomena unto themselves.

I do not know if it was required to haul poo or if it was a decision of the raft operator. Nonetheless, they hauled the crap in pails. (I do not know if it was a direct entry into the pail or scooped into the pail).

J_T
09-11-2009, 09:49 AM

Not true. I am probably the "shittiest" bowhunter in the bush.

maybe it was just hard digging?

Kody94
09-11-2009, 09:56 AM
I think I know where the crap pile refered to in the original post is (was). If so, it IS f#cking disgusting, and there is no-way any self respecting hunter should be condoning (or making light) of that kind of behaviour.

They also left behind (dumped) a truck seat that had been brought all the way up from Abbotsford.

boatdoc
09-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Yeah the truck seat was left there.
Should have taken it to the dump myself.

Kody94
09-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Tried to get out there this weekend but never made it. If its still there next time I am by I will take it to the dump.