PDA

View Full Version : chokes?

mikesomogyi
09-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi I was wondering if someone could help me with what chokes to use when and what size shot can be used through those chokes. I was told that I can shoot any size shot through my modified choke but I have four more and don't want to blow my gun up. I am shooting a benelli nova pump.:confused::confused:

358win
09-09-2009, 08:23 PM
What size shot and is it lead or other.
Need input..

PGK
09-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Lead is fine through all chokes.

Steel should not be shot through a true full choke. Many factory tubes will say FULL - STEEL or LEAD, which is more like a modified lead choke. Steel does not compress like lead, and is a bad idea in a true full choke. If your tubes aren't labelled, I have no idea. Take them to a gunshop and get them measured, or if they're Benelli tubes, ask them if you're safe for steel

kastles
09-09-2009, 09:03 PM
I shoot the same shotty. Like said above do not use the "F"-full with steel. If you're going to be aiming your gun at waterfowl try take it to the range or out in the bush and shot sheets of cardboard with different loads and chokes. As far as worrying about damage to the gun, no steel through "F" and anything else is fine through any choke. Enjoy shooting

kastles

mikesomogyi
09-09-2009, 09:15 PM
That's kind of my question, I know what to shoot for upland birds but for ducks verse geese with steel shot I don't know, I have IM,F,IC,M and a TKY choke for my shotgun. I will be shooting through my modified choke for both ducks and geese but I will use 3 inch double B for geese and 2 3/4 number 4 for the ducks but I dont know what is safe for the other chokes and I cant seem to find any info on the net anywhere. I know things will change due to lead verse steel but from what I have read you are supposed to change your choke to increase range instead of load. Just wanting to know all I can. Thanks guys!!

huntwriter
09-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Steel, or steel equivalent, can be shot through any chokes you mention other then the full choke. But not all shot will perform equally well out of all chokes. The only way to find out which choke / load combination delivers the best pattern is to spend time at the range. You can shoot #BB through a full choke, but remember that A.) it will kick you hard and, B.) you might get an erratic pattern due to pellets deforming as they are squeezed through a tight hole.

PGK
09-09-2009, 11:08 PM
A fuller choke will give you a longer shot as it will hold the shot string tighter, spreading it out over a longer distance. It looks like your chokes are

TKY
F
M
IM
IC

in order from tightest pattern to widest. TKY and F should not be used with steel. I would just use the M and not worry about the IM or IC for much, unless you plan on shooting skeet at the range, then use the IC.
If you're set on using different shot sizes for ducks and geese like you say, M will do it, but if you find you're really cutting them in half (close range shots), switch to IM or IC, but when that long shot comes around on a really nice bird and you've got IC in the tube, you'll be kicking yourself.
Your easiest option would be to shoot 3'' or 3.5'' #2s for both ducks and geese, slap the M tube in there and hunt all season without messing with anything.

mikesomogyi
09-10-2009, 02:21 PM
thank you that helps alot.

HuntNHookSports
09-10-2009, 05:40 PM
A fuller choke will give you a longer shot as it will hold the shot string tighter, spreading it out over a longer distance. It looks like your chokes are

TKY
F
M
IM
IC

in order from tightest pattern to widest. TKY and F should not be used with steel. I would just use the M and not worry about the IM or IC for much, unless you plan on shooting skeet at the range, then use the IC.
If you're set on using different shot sizes for ducks and geese like you say, M will do it, but if you find you're really cutting them in half (close range shots), switch to IM or IC, but when that long shot comes around on a really nice bird and you've got IC in the tube, you'll be kicking yourself.
Your easiest option would be to shoot 3'' or 3.5'' #2s for both ducks and geese, slap the M tube in there and hunt all season without messing with anything.

The correct order is:
TKY
F
IM
M
IC

If you are going to play skeet, buy a skeet choke.

If you use IM at close range birds you will blow a 2" hole clean through them.

If IC is not knocking down nice birds then you are sky busting. Instead of kicking yourself for not having a long range choke, don't pull the trigger.

#2 shot is great all around shot but BB for geese and #3 for ducks is better.

Of course if you do not pattern your gun, chokes, and shot, you will have no idea what is really going on down wind of your barrel.

TheDuckinator
09-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Wad wizard nuttin else :D

PGK
09-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I dunno about your gun, but IC in my remington is useless past 30m, and while not 'often' it is not infrequent to encounter shots reaching 30, 40, even 50m to whack a bird. I shoot full all the time. More confident that way, I am putting most of the pellets where I'm aiming, not spraying and praying that one or two pellets knock a bird down. In my eyes, IC is useless, and the only time I'll use the mod is typically not for waterfowl, usually when hunting grouse in the thick stuff. 2 cents

HuntNHookSports
09-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Sky Busting = "50m to whack a bird"

PGK
09-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Sky Busting = "50m to whack a bird"

Hahaahaahaha skybusting ain't 50y buddy.

Learn how to shoot your gun, with the proper choke, and you'll fold birds at 50 without thinking twice. Spray and pray with a wide choke is not wingshooting.

huntwriter
09-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I dunno about your gun...

Exactly, you do not know about other guns. I have six shotguns and none of them shoots the same pattern with an identical choke/ load combination. That is the reason why every gun shooter has to go to the range and try out different loads and chokes until a desirable consistent pattern is established from 20 to 50 yards.

Just advising to slap choke "X" on a gun and start pumping loads out is not sound advice. Load patterns HAVE to be individually established for each gun at the range and they can be very different for EVERY gun. My Baretta Super Nova, for example will take a ducks head clean of at 30 yards with a full choke shooting 3" shells with #4 pellets. However, the Mossberg 535 ATS needs a full choke, using the same shells, to deliver the desirable pattern I want from 30 to 50 yards.

The same holds true for upland bird guns. One of my upland guns perfoms best with a mod. choke th other with and IC. It tickles me when I hear people say, just use such and such load and such and such choke and you're good to go. It is that easy, not if you look for conistent pattern quality.

HuntNHookSports
09-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Learn the limitations of a shotgun and you will donate less meat to racoons.

If 50 yards ain't skybusting maybe you should buy some decoys.