PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Husq
09-09-2009, 01:48 PM
You wake up at 4am, have a quick breakfast and are hiking into elk country by 4:45am. After about an hour and a half you start seeing fresh elk sign, lots of it, but no elk. You've been here before though and are not worried. Taking great care to make no noise and bump no elk you make it to the well established bedding area. Your destination.

You take select a spot that gives you a good vantage of the hill and clearing but is also well hidden. Shortly after you hear a faint bugle, in response you send off a mew. A couple minutes later and the bugle is repeated, a second mew is offered. A longer wait and the bulls third bugle is hair raisingly close but the bull is still not in sight, a third mew is sent.

After what seems like an eternity you see movement in the peripheral of your left eye. A big creamy brown elk has just wandered into the clearing above not more than 45 yards away. He's P&Y big, 6x7 and really tall, your adrenaline is pumping and your bow is shaking uncontrollably. Luck is on your side though and the wind is blowing your scent down hill, the only catch is a big leafy tree between you and him, after a minute he wanders into the bedding area where the trail splits. One trail heads back up the hill and the other to the front of the bedding area, your shooting lane.

What do you do?

A. Take the 45 yrd shot through dense the tree?
B. Wait patiently and hope he loops around to your shooting lane?
C. Hit the cow call when he enters the bush to get him to turn around?
D. Move silently forward and try to put yourself into a better position.
E. Other, explain.

Jetboater
09-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Slam him if you are comfortable with the range and the shot... there is nothing wrong with a decent 45 yard shot....

Ozone
09-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Wake up in a cold sweat, realizing I still dont have a LEH

Husq
09-09-2009, 02:08 PM
the tree was way to dense to be shooting through........

09-09-2009, 02:14 PM
c..........but this is why i dont own a bow!

shantz
09-09-2009, 02:37 PM
I would wait to see which trail he takes and if he takes the trail back up the hill (away from you) I would hit the cow call. Better that then risk spooking him with a long shot through a tree, so you can go back and get him tomorrow.

GoatGuy
09-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Wake up in a cold sweat, realizing I still dont have a LEH

ahahahah, too funny, that's the one.

"And then I woke up"

Husq
09-10-2009, 06:56 PM
I'll definitely be heading back in with my bow in a week or so. Perhaps he won't be at such a ridiculous elevation and my packing will be a lot lower.

Anybody wanna share a couple of tricks to help lure this bull in?

Gilmore
09-10-2009, 08:43 PM
the tree was way to dense to be shooting through........

Well then I guess it's anything but "A".

Bow Walker
09-11-2009, 08:31 AM
I would wait to see which trail he takes and if he takes the trail back up the hill (away from you) I would hit the cow call. Better that then risk spooking him with a long shot through a tree, so you can go back and get him tomorrow.

X 2 on Shantz's reply.:idea:

09-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Only you know what presented it's self as your chance, if your not comfortable then don't shoot, a few cow mews, if he goes out of site and won't come at all to that after a while, bugle, challenge him. Still no luck, if you think you know what his pattern is, get him tomorrow. Good luck
CT

J_T
09-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Stay on the cow call, watch the wind and if you have to, move your position. Don't be concerned about making too much noise feeding elk make noise.

If he came that far for a mew, he's looking for you. Just remember, elk have the ability to glide on the mist and he could come in quiet. If you have some cow in heat spray, put a bunch of it into the air.

lunatic
09-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Buy and use a Montana decoy. Should have worked perfect in this scenario. Set it up where you will have the shot when he comes in.

Ruger4
09-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Curly top says challenge him and I agree 100 % , isnt that 1/2 the fun,
45 yard shot with trees and brush is unethical , wait him out , mew him again, come back tomorrow with no sleep at all !!:tongue:

Husq
09-12-2009, 07:45 PM
I really like the advice about moving in on him and throwing a bit of spray in the air. I'll definitely keep a well measured pace on the cow call and to top it off I think i'll take my bow again.

thanks again