PDA

View Full Version : recurve

Wild one
09-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I just picked up my 6yr old son a recurve and started teaching him to shoot. Now I am thinking of getting one for my self but I shoot compound and have no idea what to look for in a good recurve. I would like to hunt with it after I have got comfortable with my shooting. What would be a good bow to get started with and what draw weight would you recommend for some one who shoots an 80lb compound?

Bowzone_Mikey
09-09-2009, 06:24 PM
something in the 60 pound range @ 28 would be good for ya I suspect unless you are a gorilla with a 32" draw ... recurves are rated at 28"

there is a nice TD in the classifieds right now ...with 3 sets of limbs ;) It would be on its way to my house If I had the funds
what would you be interested in .. more trad or modern recurves ... for a modern recurve I really like the Hoyt Gamegetter Bows

Wild one
09-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Well I am far from gorilla but I have a 30 inch draw so 28 won't cut it plus I shoot left handed so I always have to look harder for my bows. I don't know what I really want yet as I have no clue when it comes to recurves.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-09-2009, 07:42 PM
so ya .. a 60 at 28" will probally give ya about 67 ish at 30 draw for the most part (recurves are not draw specific like compounds) lefty recurves are fairly easy to come by ...in comparison anyway ...

There is a great store down there .. in New west I think ... I seem to recall one in Abby too but cant think of the name ... check em out .. and test drive what you can

Coyote
09-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Wild One 60 lb is way too much for a guy starting to shoot stick bows. (no disrespect Mikey) Doesn't matter how much of a gorilla you are or arent. Trust me, you will develop more bad habits than you can imagine. My recommendation is a take down somewhere between 40 and 50 pounds at your draw length. 50 would be absolute max. With the right shot placement, broadhead and arrow config 45 pounds will kill anything in North America. Far better to be accurate and comfortable than struggling.

If you want to step up in pounds later just buy another set of limbs, not a whole bow. I'd recommend not stepping up more than 5 to 10 pounds at a time.

I've been shooting stick bows since 1962 and have seen way too many people quit because they were over bowed. Most of them were shooting 60 pounds or more

If you would like some personal advice on shooting recurved see if you can get ahold of Greybark. He lives in Chilliwack. There are lots of other stick shooters that show up on this site that will help you.

One of the best books out there today on shooting recurves is "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera. It's about $20 and well worth the cash. It deals with target shooting AND hunting so you get a well rounded look at it. The author will also reply to questions be email.

If you can't get enuf info or have qiestions PM me and I'll try to get you on the right track.

'yote

Wild one
09-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks coyote

Monashee
09-10-2009, 10:16 AM
30 - 35 lbs is right for men who are learning to shoot a recurve .

Wild one
09-10-2009, 10:24 AM
At 12 I did shoot recurve and was shooting a 50 lb bow and was accurate out 30 yards so I don't know about going as low as 30 - 35 lb. Does any one know of a shop in the abby area that has a good amount of recurves I could look at . The shop I deal with right now is big game archery and he has very few.

Foxtail
09-10-2009, 11:02 AM
For archery only shops I think you're only option is Booreman(SP?) in New westminster. Your draw will be about an inch shorter with a traditional bow then a compound on account of the no letoff and building of poundage the farther you pull. The weight will actually compress you that much more. You shoot an 80 lb compound though so the difference will be a bit less for you as ur pretty compessed by full draw anyways. Personally I like the PSE coyote at 55 or the newer hoyt/reflex Nomad I think it's called only because they come in camo. Other then that the Fred Bear line of Traditionals are pretty awesome. You will find an unbelieveable wealth of knowledge on this stuff on www.archerytalk.com (http://www.archerytalk.com)

Bigbear
09-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Not all Recurves are rated at 28 ". The norm for Draw Length for a recurve is 1to 1 1/2 LESS than you would for a compound. The Draw length for a recurve is taken from the front of the riser. You can have a recurve Made at what ever Drl you wish.
Mine is 50 LBS @27 in. Compound My DRL is 28.5. This fella could shoot this Bow But he would More likley to Be getting54-55 LBS. This Called Staking. It is roughly2lbs for every inch over DRL. He would not be to far off with a 28 in DRL recurve

Wild one
09-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks what ever info you guys can add to help is great. What brands are worth looking at? What kind of rest should be used?

The Hermit
09-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Gee you should definately check out the Chek-Mate on HBC that has the three sets of limbs! It would be perfect.

Wild one
09-12-2009, 07:03 PM
I am a left handed shooter

Coyote
09-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Chek Mate is an excellent choice. They do make left handed bows. Most modern recurves will be more than adequate for you. If you find you like it you can upgrade at a later date if you want.

As far as a rest many people shoot off the shelf. I use self adhesive velcro. If you want an elevated rest check out three rivers archery on the web. Several choices.

'yote

Wild one
09-13-2009, 05:39 PM
I will be going to see one of the trad guys I know this week for some help . He says he has a couple bows for me to look at a black widow and a ben persion I think he said.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-13-2009, 06:09 PM
I will be going to see one of the trad guys I know this week for some help . He says he has a couple bows for me to look at a black widow and a ben persion I think he said.
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Marc needs to come up with a smiley of a dog dry humping a leg or something ....

BW are what every recurve bow is judged agaisnt (argueably of course) they are awesome

Pearson aint too shabby either

Wild one
09-13-2009, 06:15 PM
The BW is an older take down but he is only asking $250 if I want it.

SHACK
09-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Take it and laugh all the way to the bank with that one! BW fetch a good dollar, and considering the price of them nowadays, your getting a steal for any of their bows (providing its in reasonable shape!) I used to have one of the MAII's in greybark, and what a mistake it was to sell it! I now have a cascade great little bow, but nothing like a widow!

Bow Walker
09-25-2009, 09:55 PM
You could do yourself a favor and find one of these beauties. It'd last you longer than you'd be able to shoot it.

http://www.martinarchery.com/x200.php

http://www.martinarchery.com/x150.php

horshur
09-25-2009, 11:06 PM
I shoot an x200....

Wild one
09-26-2009, 02:44 PM
I will be going with a check mate hunter 1 or 2( not shire yet) in 40lb draw .As for the BW I looked at it was a collectors and it did not fit what I was looking for and I would not take advantage of the guy helping me buy reselling it so I left it with him.

Foxtail
09-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey wild one... I think you should make another post... your post count is creeping me out lol.

Wild one
09-28-2009, 11:55 AM
just to make you happy:razz: