PDA

View Full Version : Am needing help!

just-one-shot
09-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Hi Guys I need your help! My Dad who is 73 years old got a LEH for 3-17 for moose. He used to hunt the area 20+ years ago and there where no moose in the area.He is thinking of going hunting again but is unsure where to go in the area or if there is moose now moved into that area.Please help him out so he may enjoy the hunting experience for one last time.Thanks guys this is the greatest site.

BillyBull
09-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Hi, I have not hunted 3-17, but have hunted 3-18, 3-30, 3-31 and had success with moose... so yes they are there and would suggest you get online and look at google for a quick reference to roads and possibles then make a scouting trip to check out some of the roads and the area as it has changed since your dad was out last.

bsa30-06
09-09-2009, 05:20 PM
is it the october draw or the november draw.?

ruger#1
09-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Upper hat creek and around Blue earth lake have some new slashes, We had some horses around there about five years ago and found some moose antlers, other then that not to much sign. PS when we were on the horses we found allot of swamps. There are some big mulies and the whitetails are moving into that area.

just-one-shot
09-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Sorry it is for the Oct. draw.Thanks guys for your help and anymore help for him would help him out.Thanks again

BiG Boar
09-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Do you have a backroads mapbook of the area? Google earth it and look for medium age cut blocks. Where there is feed for the moose. If its early october draw, then learn to call them (youtube) , and bring some moose pee. Then drive around the areas that look good and look for a vantage point to call from and spot from (downwind). Then shoot a big moosey. Post pics of your dad with the moose because people on here will think youre just fishing for info. Good luck, and more so, enjoy the time with your family!

just-one-shot
09-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys I will pass it on to my Dad for him to make the final decision on whether to go there or not.I know there was a fire that ripped through the area 5-7 years ago.I know it was a area he did want to go back to as it is where my bro and I went for our very first game hunt as kids.But thanks again guys.

bsa30-06
09-13-2009, 10:45 AM
well i was just in the lytton end of 3-17 yesterday and the area i plan to hunt in october has been and is being logged as we speak.I also know that the one area they are logging is exactly where i planned on hunting for my moose in october(same draw your dad has).You can pm me if you like and discuss some of the areas your dad had in mind,i hunt this area often(every year) and may be able to provide you with a little more info.Good Luck.

just-one-shot
09-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks to bsa30-06 and Ruger#1 and everyone else.As I said I have not been up in that area for about 6 years and that was to see what the fire had done to it.It was an area that my brother and I had hunted for our first hunts.It was around Cornwall mtn area that the fire ripped through.Thanks for all the help.My Dad would thank you as well if he could work the computer...lol. sry Dad