PDA

View Full Version : Elk

Hemi
09-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Has anyone seen or taken an elk from the Salmon River area in Prince George. I have been told there are lots in there as well as moose. I have scouted alittle but went to google earth. Looks like if I can drive down the power lines to the river it could be good? Any ideas

todbartell
09-08-2009, 10:34 PM
seen a few from the highway a couple years ago, on private land of course

Ambush
09-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Hemi. If you're going to be talking out loud on a BC hunting site about hot elk spots, then your new friends are all gonna drop ya like a $hitty stick.:eek:

Oh and congratulations on your first bow kill. Where's that red-hot grouse spot??

killman
09-09-2009, 07:20 AM
Private land everywhere. Sorry no Elk in PG.

moosinaround
09-09-2009, 09:02 AM
I would concentrate HEAVILY in the Salmon Valley area for elk. They are there, seen em with my one good eye! Elk spots and the sighting of elk within the PG area are very closely guarded secrets. But I do know there is a large herd around the pulpmill area out by shelly, and you do hunt with a bow, and the rut is on, and........................!!! Moosin

BCrams
09-09-2009, 09:58 AM
But I do know there is a large herd around the pulpmill area out by shelly,

Interesting lol.

Most interior elk are safe. Too many PG hunters are tuned into the ways of moose hunting. (i.e., road hunting from trucks / quads and bugling at every block, riding quads into areas then bugling etc)

RMG
09-09-2009, 10:57 AM
If I was to look for Elk, around PG, I would start east of town, around Wansa, and Vama Vama Creek areas. Picked up a lot of sheds in that area. Then wander across the hiway to the England Creek, or Willow North road for moose.

jml11
09-09-2009, 11:09 AM
There are good elk herds in all directions from PG, it's just a matter of pinning down a herd on any particular day. Hearsay is that the elk move around a lot so you just need to be in the right place at the right time.

jessbennett
09-09-2009, 11:40 AM
whites landing. k-0 road off the blackwater. lots of elk in the area. now get out and look for them!!! :D

todbartell
09-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Too many PG hunters are tuned into the ways of moose hunting. (i.e., road hunting from trucks / quads and bugling at every block, riding quads into areas then bugling etc)

hey they must hunt all over the province :lol: Ive seen them everywhere

BCrams
09-09-2009, 01:11 PM
hey they must hunt all over the province :lol: Ive seen them everywhere

You nailed it :lol:

PGK
09-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Hahahaha well guarded secret. Elk populations in the PG area are the sh!ttiest secret anyone ever tried to keep. Any hunter around here that keeps half an ear open could tell you where 90% of the bulls get shot. Most of us are too lazy to bother with elk hunting :lol:

Brett
09-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Any hunter around here that keeps half an ear open could tell you where 90% of the bulls get shot.

and??? any one got an ear to the ground!

I was talking to a unnamed source yesterday, well actualy 2.

one says. down the Bowron fsr

the other and maybe easiest. You locals remember a few letters to the editor regarding elk from a certain farmer?? (he whitnessed elk being dropped off at the emk road by the truckload?) any way, if you can get a hold of him (you need to tell us all) he will let anyone shoot an elk, any time of year, in any shape or form and "load into your truck with his tractor". He's about 70-75 years of age and should be pretty easy to deal with if you can figure out who he is.

Ambush
09-09-2009, 07:28 PM
He's about 70-75 years of age and should be pretty easy to deal with if you can figure out who he is.

I know who he is. And he's not fond of road hunters whizzing bullets past his ears or [here's a hint] of guys sneaking in from the river. Some people do hunt his place, but the last time I talked to him he didn't know of anyone actualy killing an elk. And I don't think a hunter would lie just to protect a honey-hole.:biggrin:

But there's elk every where, and that's why so many hunters are killing so many elk around town.:roll:

PGK
09-09-2009, 08:35 PM
I know who he is. And he's not fond of road hunters whizzing bullets past his ears or [here's a hint] of guys sneaking in from the river. Some people do hunt his place, but the last time I talked to him he didn't know of anyone actualy killing an elk. And I don't think a hunter would lie just to protect a honey-hole.:biggrin:

But there's elk every where, and that's why so many hunters are killing so many elk around town.:roll:

Everyone goes to salmon valley, lower bowron, purden, even willow and isle pierre. Those are easy. Some of the others are less known. But of you want to have a gas calling in hunters, let a real nice bugle go about 645am somewhere down towards the salmon confluence. Better be wearin blaze though, some of those hicks don't aim to good