PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles - Question

gbear
09-08-2009, 08:53 PM
I've read a few posts on here regarding trekking poles, and I decided to get a set for the mountains. After reading those other posts, and now looking at a few of them in the stores, I still have a question for members that use them.

Is going with the shock absorption option any benefit? Or does having that extra bit of give in them create more of a hazard?

Thanks

Brambles
09-08-2009, 08:57 PM
I have never used the shock absorbing ones, I assume it will add some weight. I have the leki Titanium Makalau and I can't see any need for shock absorbing. Especially coming down loaded when you want to put more weight on the poles to get down an obsticle, springy shock absorbing could be a detriment

09-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I have a set of Leki super Makalu with the shock absorbers in them.........wouldn't have a set with out that feature. The cushioning softens the poles contact with the ground. The small compression of the pole is not something you notice when using them but l sure notice when l use a set without the shock absorbers......its like wearing running shoes that have lost their bounce.

Ambush
09-08-2009, 09:58 PM
I have Lekis with the shock feature. I don't care for it, so it's always locked off.

springpin
09-09-2009, 07:55 AM
The Anti shock is useless in my opinion..Just buy yourself a good quality pair. For Myself I prefer Black Diamond. Never had a problem with them.