PDA

View Full Version : alpine turned to bog

wsm
09-08-2009, 07:26 PM
every year i hunt the alpine country in the hopes of seing that big buck. one atvs in the alpine tunra , next a a jeep, this time cattle all over that country. once a beautiful landscape now a big mud patch. just a little disheartning.

frenchbar
09-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Its going to get worse ...sorry to say:frown:

Crazy.kayaker
09-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Its going to get worse ...sorry to say:frown:

x2

I've seen some nice places get turned in to what looks like tilled fields cause of cattle walking through it just push the grass under and or turns it over so it's all mud. Tis sad when ever a place falls victim to so called progress.

Muleycatcher
09-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Very unfortunate, but that's the way of the future..it sucks

PGK
09-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Damn I hate cows. With such a passion

RiverBoatFantasy
09-08-2009, 10:57 PM
I just came off of a 20km, 3 day alpine hunt and the only time I lost my footing was when I slipped on a cow patty. Had a bit of a stand off with a big old gal and her baby on the trail on the way down. I have never felt the need to load the rifle and point when confronted by a cow - ever. This was a first. Yup cows in the alpine really suck.

Rob
09-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Isnt there specific time of year that the ranchers have to get them off crown land?

swampdonkey
09-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Isnt there specific time of year that the ranchers have to get them off crown land?i belive it is oct 1

coquitlam
09-09-2009, 06:06 PM
I had been dreaming for most of the year of returning to an alpine meadow to hunt from that I had discovered at the end of the previous season. It was a beautiful area that had a huge amount of sign. I reached the spot to find it full of cows chewing there cud and laying in all that cow crap. There was not a square foot that did not have a paddy in it. The whole mountain top was covered in crap and mud. Fish & wildlife don't like atvs in the alpine ,but at least they don't crap everywhere. That dream was shattered and went home as there was noway I was sleeping in crap meadows on crap mountain.

TheDuckinator
09-09-2009, 06:13 PM
i belive it is oct 1

I think after that date it should be open season on all cattle on crown land, even though they wont make much of a trophy they will sure taste good :D

BearSniper
09-09-2009, 06:34 PM
3 years ago we went into the Goat river in 7-4 and my son and I each got a Bear.

Last year we camped halfway up the road as we arrived at night. I was making breafast early in the morning and another hunter came up on a quad and we chatted about the area.

He asked if I had been up any further ? I said no, we're going to head up another 15 km. With a dry smile, he said; " you in for a treat".

Of course 3 kms later there's cattle gates and 25 cows:o

Bloody great. Like we're from Abbotsford and my boys work on the dairy farm behind us. As if we need to see another cow. We drive 750 kms and run into cattle.

Beleive me, after an unsuccessful hunt, on the way down, the urge to do target practice on a few cows was overwhelming, BUT we had to be lawful and ethical:x

I too am getting a little tired of ranchers in the Alpine.

Go raise your cows somewhere else