PDA

View Full Version : Bozz Hunting Trip

bozzdrywall
09-08-2009, 06:29 PM
So iam taking a couple of guys that i met on this site out for an elk hunt in one of the best spots i know. I write about this spot every year so the out come looks good i also have a goat draw for the same area so iam happy about that. We leave at 7 am for camp and will finish around the 16. I will post on this thread when i get back. I have been waiting for someone reliable to hunt this area with for a long time my dream is almost a reality. Cant wait iam losing sleep over it. Good Luck to all of you that hunt the mighty elk. :cool:

bozzdrywall
09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/wigwamandcalgary_015.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14945&cat=500&ppuser=8405)We will be looking for this guy for sure this pic was in late june early july so i hope he is a 6

Mik
09-08-2009, 06:42 PM
I hope the hunt turns out to be successful for you and your new partners. Good Hunting.

Bow Walker
09-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Good luck out there, and we'll be waiting for the story and pics.

BearSniper
09-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Go get 'em.

Hope you can bag a real nice King Elk;-)

d6dan
09-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Best of luck to you Bozz...now get'em!.

BlacktailStalker
09-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Good luck !!

BiG Boar
09-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Looks like a good hunt ahead. Hopefully you do well. Goat hunting would be a blast.

Leaseman
09-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Looking forward to the entertaining stories already.....:biggrin:

shantz
09-09-2009, 08:42 AM
good luck can't wait to hear about the trip

BillyBull
09-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Have fun and a safe and successful trip.

sfire436
09-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Sfire 436 here, we just dropped a 6/7. Opening day was good! Heading to the cooler then back to fill 3 more tags! HARDCORE!

rocksteady
09-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Pictures...Pictures....

bozzdrywall
09-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Ok here it is what you have all been waiting for.
Openning morning started off early and cold with a long walk into a draw i hunt often we split into groups of 2 and head off in diffrent directions me and sfire walked in 1k and set up over looking a slide. not 10min. later we see a cow and a calf with a bull push from the rear great get a good look at him but the bugger wont grow a 6th tine just a 5x5. 5 min. later another cow calf and small rag horn show up i say to sfire watch this there is going to be a bull right behind them sure as a bear sh#ts in the woods out come the big boy the were not going to stick around for long so i got ready to make the shot he came out from behind a tree and BANG he turns and runs down hill into some trees where he took his last breath. Now the work begins hike up to him gut and quarter him pack him out time to have a few cold ones. the bull was a nice 6x7 not too bad. Next day nothing. Next day saw the same small bull. That night i thought i would try for my goat so out we went just for a look. Left camp at 5 seen 3 goats buy 5:30 from a mile out closed the distance to 600yrds 3 quick shots and more work back at the truck buy 7 drunk buy 9 good trip good people. Sfire will post pics and tell his story when he gets home all i got is video sorry. the pic will be on soon i promis till then just dream

d6dan
09-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Sound like a great hunt, Way to go Bozz. :grin:looking forward to the pics...

rocksteady
09-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Congrats....Can't wait to see the pictures...

gbear
09-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Sounds like a great trip! Congrats

browningboy
09-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Way to go, sounds like my kind of trip!
I can't wait for the pics!

Brambles
09-14-2009, 05:40 PM
I hope the guys who agree'd to accompany you got some action too.

Fisher-Dude
09-14-2009, 05:56 PM
600 yard shots at a goat? You must shoot a big gun.

hillclimber
09-14-2009, 08:31 PM

thats nothin for a magnum8)

congrats on the elk and goat

stixnstones
09-14-2009, 09:25 PM
hey bozz we arrived home safe.thanks for the hospitality and new friendships. ps my feet are 100 percent love PEACHES.

bozzdrywall
09-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Ya iam shooting a 300wsm 180g etip buy winchester get her done and puts meat in my frezzer.
Come on boys lets get those pics up so we dont look like dumb a@#s :cool:

Fisher-Dude
09-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Ya iam shooting a 300wsm 180g etip buy winchester get her done and puts meat in my frezzer.
Come on boys lets get those pics up so we dont look like dumb a@#s :cool:

So at 600 yards, the drop is about 6 or 7 feet using that bullet/calibre combo. In goat country, there's always a variable side wind too. How do you calculate the point of impact and make a sure shot in field conditions?

moosinaround
09-15-2009, 04:51 PM
So at 600 yards, the drop is about 6 or 7 feet using that bullet/calibre combo. In goat country, there's always a variable side wind too. How do you calculate the point of impact and make a sure shot in field conditions?
Doesn't the dead goat answer that question?? It's a "secret"

bozzdrywall
09-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Its no secret. Just practice practice practice. I know what i can and cant do and i can shoot 600yrds if i want. I dont really want to shoot that far 50yds would be just fine buy me but i will take what i can take and know that what i shoot at WILL DIE. Any way this is not about long range shooting its all about The bozz hunting trip with good friends that had Great sucsess. And above all made great friends along the way.
WE LOVE PEACHES AND HERB.................. If you know than you know what iam talking about

rocksteady
09-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Still awaiting some pictures!!!!

bozzdrywall
09-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Me Too. Were are they sfire/ peaches

Everett
09-15-2009, 06:50 PM

If you sight that load in dead on at 250 it will drop abou 55 inches at 600 yards which is 4 1/2 feet not 6 or 7.So you would have to hold over about 44 inches. Definatly a difficult shot and I would guess that most hunters coudn't pull it off. Personally its about my personal limit on Elk or Moose. Goats are a little to small for that range.
The questions I have is it a known distance or just estimated and was there any wind. Most people can't judge range past about 150 yards and at extreme range windage becomes very important. Bozz I am curios where you are practicing out to 600 yards as I have been looking for a spot the local range is only 250yard and my personal is just 350yards
Anyway congrats on the Elk and Goat and lets see some pics

Gateholio
09-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Wow Bozz, you went from having a rifle that was shooting all over the place, to having a flinch that you couldn't' shake, to a 600 yard shot on a goat! Congrats on getting it all together!:D

bozzdrywall
09-15-2009, 10:34 PM
like i said practice thats all it takes never think you wont get a flinch even if you think you know your rifle thats what i learned this year never again will i make that mistake. now if my spelling adn typing would get better. lol
butt practice makes perfect right. The practice at the range pays off with what is now in the frezzer so that speaks for its self

whitespringer
09-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Drywallers are the best!8)
Don't listen to the nay sayers, I believe you.
Lets see the pics and then you can prove to all that drywallers rock.:mrgreen:

Fisher-Dude
09-16-2009, 05:50 AM
like i said practice thats all it takes never think you wont get a flinch even if you think you know your rifle thats what i learned this year never again will i make that mistake. now if my spelling adn typing would get better. lol
butt practice makes perfect right. The practice at the range pays off with what is now in the frezzer so that speaks for its self

Which gun range has a 600 yard target and mountain thermals, with 45 degree inclines, to practice at? I should buy a range pass so I can practice there too...or I can just get in to a reasonable distance on my game so that I can make an ethical kill. 8)

bozzdrywall
09-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Well iam going to take my own pics of my bull today i will try to get them up before this thread goes on to long. One the bright side this morning i took the wife out to try for her bull and what do you know first light and we here some crashing down the trail so i cow called and right away the bull barked back this went on for 10 min or so then he shut up. I told my wife to be ready cuz he was commin in quiet sure enough he pops out of the trees 80yrds from us i tell her to get ready to shoot all i have to do is count 1 2 3 4 5..............1 2 3 4 5...........1 2 3 4 5 ............... dam only a 5x5 so we got out the camara and got some cool video of him i called him into 30yrds befor he turned around and walked off to this min. i still think that bull though we were talking elk stumps he had no idea we were there. well keep you posted on the rest of the season.

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Congrats on your hunt.A quick 600 yard shot ?Are you related to a guy that used to be on here that went by the name "" Chevy"" ?

bozzdrywall
09-16-2009, 02:40 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/GetAttachment9.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15329&ppuser=8405)
Well this is my bull with a big thank you to all that helped

bozzdrywall
09-16-2009, 02:43 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/ryans_hunting_09.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15328&cat=500&size=big&ppuser=8405)http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/135.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15326&ppuser=8405)
This is the group that went out and a picture of my goat he is not a huge one only 9 3/8 each side but iam proud The mount is going to be on a old trapper nelson that my grandfather gave me so it looks like i skined it and tied it on the pack board took it home and hung it on the wall will ost pics when its done.

bozzdrywall
09-16-2009, 02:45 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/ryans_hunting_09.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15328&ppuser=8405)
Sorry one more pic cant get how to do multi pics in one post

srupp
09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Great job guys...exellent adventure AND PICTURES TOO..lol:smile:

well well well done..

steven

muleyman
09-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Looks like you had a good trip congrats to all.

M.Dean
09-16-2009, 03:26 PM
The pic's were worth the wait! Real nice bull! Hell of a idea about the goat in the pack! Congrats!

bozzdrywall
09-16-2009, 04:11 PM
THANKS more pics to come when sfire gets back from fishing

whitespringer
09-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Way to go on the bull and goat. :smile:

d6dan
09-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Well done!.. Nice Bull and a good Billy.:grin: good pics.

stixnstones
09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
what a trip.thanks to bozz,pete, and apples for one of my most memorable hunts. hear it is in a nutshell. sept 8 at 9 am herb shows up at my house. 20 min later were on the road with a couple quick stops before we head to kimberly. we decided to go through rogers pass as a family friend said it wood knock an hour off our time. stopped in Kamloops to get some grits n a hug from a timmy h 's girl. a large triple triple each and were off.stoped in Salmon Arm gas up n switch drivers. somewhere around salmon arm there was a golf course on the left and we honked at a guy in the middle of his swing.he smiled and waved. one last driver switch in Golden then arrived at Kimberly. 10 deer was all we saw. grab a burger n beer with bozz quick hello to his fam then off to bed. sept 9th 7 am Pete meets up with us and team hardcore are off in a convoy.about half way to the spot i spot a really nice bull in a field.this looks good i thought to myself. the forcast for the week was mid 20's. we arrive in camp only to find a dozen or so guys with quads and trailers everywhere. we were not impressed so we decided to make the best out of it.set up camp over a couple of cold ones then over to introduce ourselves and let them know the area we were plannin on hunting. both parties agreed to stay out of eachothers way.they were very nice. we jumped in the bozz s truck and off to get firewood. we fell a few snags near the road. got back to camp and dumped off a bunch of bucked up firewood for there camp and ours.back to camp for dinner and make a plan for tommorrow. Opening morn sept 10th had me n pete walkin up the road past where the boss n apples went in.5 min later pete says theres a bull,six point.i raise my binos to find him about a 800 yds from us with three cows. pete says i hope they can see him. we sit down facing them and sit and start cow callin.then all of a sudden we here a crash to the left of us. right on we are going get some action. then all of a sudden we here 3 shots ring out.we both raise the binos to watch cows runnin everywhere plus a bull go head overheels. right on bozz or apples got a bull. even after after the shots we still herd crashing coming to us.we both jack a shell n pete lets out another cow call. now its close any second. out pops two big cow moose at 20 yds. wow that had our hearts racing. we turn on the radios and meet up where we split up. the bozz n apples said they saw a 5 point as well as a 7x6 with a bunch of cows and a huge tri palm bull moose.now the work starts. we grab the pack boards and utensils and on up the mountain we go. after 40 min apples finds the bozz's bull. a beauty 7x6 which we figured wood go over 300. some pics,then into pieces he goes.after the first trip i had 3 huge blisters on my feet. they figure i should stay on the road and wait. off comes the boots and two more times up the mountan and back. i have never had problems with my boots or blisters this bad ever.i could not help with packing the meet but there is always something u can do carry gear, guns,hold a leg (something).got him out and pack to camp.now we celebrate. went over to the camp next door 4 a few more than off to bed. sept 11th off to the cooler then back to susans house(petes mom) after a coffee,soup,and chk ceasar wrap back to camp. i must take a moment to once again thank susan n jim for there hospitality and treating us like one of there own. thanks from mike. back in camp i deemed mysel fairly useless for awhile.the next morn we slept in a bit and decided to go for a drive.see a few whiteys and sheep.no rams though. i always keep a sheep tag in my pocket.never know. 2 years ago one was put on my plate only to check the regs n find out the mu was closed.so close.that night we partied hard and saw a white saskquatch run through camp. has anyone ever seen one? i thought it was an albino black bear. woke up peaches and apples went for a drive n walk nothing butt a beautiful sunset. the same night we got back and bozz n pete had a goat in the back of there truck.now i promised i wood skin him for his mount to his old trapper nelson pack. i had a plan in the back of my head that i wood pussy ft it so the bozz would jump in and do it. it worked to perfection.u dont learn if u dont try.couple beers with randy then off to bed.sept 12 a trip to town to drop off the goat and reload on beves n gas. once again had some fresh stew and another coffee from susan. back in we go and decide to go try another area for the night.couple flathead whiteys on the way in.back in camp the other group of guys found a fresh grizz track in the sand by the creek not more than 20 yds from camp.just some more whitey flatheads on our evening hunt and a grouse that i dropped with a stone. hence my name stixnstones.lol. man are they stupid in cranny.the next morn apples and i decided to fly the chiken coup for home.got into the ridge around nine for a final sh#ty kitty.thanks again to bozz,pete,and your familys for opening your hearts to us.and to my wing man apples. the nick name is because he hates apples. believe me when i say it.it makes me laugh whenever i say it.lol. TEAM HARDCORE OUT!

bozzdrywall
09-16-2009, 08:35 PM
That si a great version of the trip good job peaches my man and albino bear LOL. I will never forget that lets hope he stays out of sheep camp. might have to grab him for a quick one LOL

rocksteady
09-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Awesome pics....

What length were the horns on the goat???

I hopefully will be smacking one of them up the Bull, after I get my moose....

Gateholio
09-17-2009, 09:32 AM
what a trip.thanks to bozz,pete, and apples for one of my most memorable hunts. hear it is in a nutshell. sept 8 at 9 am herb shows up at my house. 20 min later were on the road with a couple quick stops before we head to kimberly. we decided to go through rogers pass as a family friend said it wood knock an hour off our time. stopped in Kamloops to get some grits n a hug from a timmy h 's girl. a large triple triple each and were off.stoped in Salmon Arm gas up n switch drivers. somewhere around salmon arm there was a golf course on the left and we honked at a guy in the middle of his swing.he smiled and waved. one last driver switch in Golden then arrived at Kimberly. 10 deer was all we saw. grab a burger n beer with bozz quick hello to his fam then off to bed. sept 9th 7 am Pete meets up with us and team hardcore are off in a convoy.about half way to the spot i spot a really nice bull in a field.this looks good i thought to myself. the forcast for the week was mid 20's. we arrive in camp only to find a dozen or so guys with quads and trailers everywhere. we were not impressed so we decided to make the best out of it.set up camp over a couple of cold ones then over to introduce ourselves and let them know the area we were plannin on hunting. both parties agreed to stay out of eachothers way.they were very nice. we jumped in the bozz s truck and off to get firewood. we fell a few snags near the road. got back to camp and dumped off a bunch of bucked up firewood for there camp and ours.back to camp for dinner and make a plan for tommorrow. Opening morn sept 10th had me n pete walkin up the road past where the boss n apples went in.5 min later pete says theres a bull,six point.i raise my binos to find him about a 800 yds from us with three cows. pete says i hope they can see him. we sit down facing them and sit and start cow callin.then all of a sudden we here a crash to the left of us. right on we are going get some action. then all of a sudden we here 3 shots ring out.we both raise the binos to watch cows runnin everywhere plus a bull go head overheels. right on bozz or apples got a bull. even after after the shots we still herd crashing coming to us.we both jack a shell n pete lets out another cow call. now its close any second. out pops two big cow moose at 20 yds. wow that had our hearts racing. we turn on the radios and meet up where we split up. the bozz n apples said they saw a 5 point as well as a 7x6 with a bunch of cows and a huge tri palm bull moose.now the work starts. we grab the pack boards and utensils and on up the mountain we go. after 40 min apples finds the bozz's bull. a beauty 7x6 which we figured wood go over 300. some pics,then into pieces he goes.after the first trip i had 3 huge blisters on my feet. they figure i should stay on the road and wait. off comes the boots and two more times up the mountan and back. i have never had problems with my boots or blisters this bad ever.i could not help with packing the meet but there is always something u can do carry gear, guns,hold a leg (something).got him out and pack to camp.now we celebrate. went over to the camp next door 4 a few more than off to bed. sept 11th off to the cooler then back to susans house(petes mom) after a coffee,soup,and chk ceasar wrap back to camp. i must take a moment to once again thank susan n jim for there hospitality and treating us like one of there own. thanks from mike. back in camp i deemed mysel fairly useless for awhile.the next morn we slept in a bit and decided to go for a drive.see a few whiteys and sheep.no rams though. i always keep a sheep tag in my pocket.never know. 2 years ago one was put on my plate only to check the regs n find out the mu was closed.so close.that night we partied hard and saw a white saskquatch run through camp. has anyone ever seen one? i thought it was an albino black bear. woke up peaches and apples went for a drive n walk nothing butt a beautiful sunset. the same night we got back and bozz n pete had a goat in the back of there truck.now i promised i wood skin him for his mount to his old trapper nelson pack. i had a plan in the back of my head that i wood pussy ft it so the bozz would jump in and do it. it worked to perfection.u dont learn if u dont try.couple beers with randy then off to bed.sept 12 a trip to town to drop off the goat and reload on beves n gas. once again had some fresh stew and another coffee from susan. back in we go and decide to go try another area for the night.couple flathead whiteys on the way in.back in camp the other group of guys found a fresh grizz track in the sand by the creek not more than 20 yds from camp.just some more whitey flatheads on our evening hunt and a grouse that i dropped with a stone. hence my name stixnstones.lol. man are they stupid in cranny.the next morn apples and i decided to fly the chiken coup for home.got into the ridge around nine for a final sh#ty kitty.thanks again to bozz,pete,and your familys for opening your hearts to us.and to my wing man apples. the nick name is because he hates apples. believe me when i say it.it makes me laugh whenever i say it.lol. TEAM HARDCORE OUT!

Paragraphs are your friend....:p

bozzdrywall
09-17-2009, 11:30 AM
The Goat was 9 3/8" a side

bozzdrywall
09-17-2009, 11:32 AM
And I scored my bull at 314 6/8" net Iam not a pro just followed the instrutions

sawmill
09-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Paragraphs are your friend....:p

Boowaaa Haaa Haaa!:biggrin:

stixnstones
09-17-2009, 02:08 PM
whatever gatehouse.

40inchtwister
09-17-2009, 02:12 PM
whatever gatehouse.

my thoughts exactly

bozzdrywall
09-17-2009, 08:26 PM
well another good night for elk had 2 going for about 1 hour befor dark taking the wife in tommorow to get her bull if all goes well .

hillclimber
09-17-2009, 08:43 PM
nice pics congrats on the elk and goat. good luck to you guys tomorrow.

cheers
stefan

showtimebc
09-17-2009, 10:41 PM
looked like a great hunt, nice going bozz and crew!