PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Elk hunting advice?

taurus
09-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Have hunted moose for several years but dont have a clue about Elk. How do you know what types of area to hunt or if they are in the area ( yea I know about tracks) as I hear they are constantly moving from one area to another.

moosinaround
09-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Me too!! Any advice would be welcomed! Moosin

PS, Lats and longs of where they are will help a lot as well!

Ddog
09-08-2009, 02:07 PM
i know where the elk are this year!! its true they do constantly move around, but it isnt to hard to pattern them if you have the time and live in Elk country. but what i always do is walk and bugle, then cow call and keep going until i get a response, if nothing in the one area then i will move several KM's away and do it all over again. Its my favorite thing in the whole world listening to them come in and beating up trees and everything they do. nothing quite like a big bull telling you where he is. LOVE IT!

ferndogger
09-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Just bugle at first and last light and listen. dont over do-it, sometimes it takes them a few minutes to respond. After you locate one, you can bugle every few minutes with cow calls in between. You can run to the direction of the elk, and make noise(breaking sticks running through bushes,)as this imitates a cow running to the bull. Keep cow calling. get a hoochie mama cow call, they are priceless. Stop a few hundred yards from the bull then repeat bugle/cowcalls. Set up there, then get a buddie to start walking away from you cow calling. You should be in between the bull and your friend walking away, hopefully inticing the bull to come to your friend and you can intercept him. Get ready as the bulls can come in FAST. Anyways thats just a basic guideline but hopefully it helps. And remember its not like deer hunting when you have to stalk quitely, breaking sticks and branches actually drives the bulls crazy as it sounds like a cow running through the bush.

Elkaddict
09-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Find a spot where you can glass lots of country. First and last light, glass slides or log cuts on the sides of slopes. If you glass a legal bull near last light and cannot get in to get him come back next morning set up in the dark and start callin'. Chances are he will not have gone far overnight. A bugle can sometimes locate a bull, sometimes they'll clam right up. Once you've located him I'd stash the bugle and pull out the cow call. The only thing you can count on is the fact that it will be different every time. A bull may come thundering in one day and almost run you down. The next day he'll either clam up and run away or hang up inside the edge of the timber just out of sight or range. Ddog's got it nailed, nothing in the world like hearing a pissed off bull come crashin' through the timber either looking for love or lookin' for a fight.:eek: I love it!