PDA

View Full Version : Sooooo Close

09-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Just got back from 3 days of elk hunting in the WKs. The first night, my partner and I set-up at a mineral lick and I begain bugling. After about an hour, I heard a distant repsonse, I bugled again, and with 5 minutes heard another bugle....but this time only about 100 yards away. Then suddenly he was there. A MASSIVE 6x6. My partner and I played cat and mouse with him for about 15 minutes, and at one point I was only 25 yards away...but no clear shooting lane :frown:. Eventually he got suspicious of all the invisible cow elk cherping at him and slowly ambled away.

Despite the dissappointment of not putting an arrow through him, I was elated to have had such an incredible experience. I am now officially addicted to archerey elk hunting.

shaner338
09-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Calling them in is such a rush. Nothing gets you more excited as bringing them in close. It's the biggest addiction in hunting for me..:smile:

roweste
09-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Sounds like a great experience! I like how you opted out of shooting without a clear shot.

ferndogger
09-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Archery Elk huntingis by far the best hunting there is. Nothing can compare to the eerie sound of a bugling Elk closing in. LOvE it

Bow Walker
09-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I'd give one of my useless (at this age) cojones to be able to hunt elk with my bow!! Good luck for the next time.