PDA

View Full Version : So Close!

muleychaser
09-08-2009, 10:20 AM
My weekend started by leaving for Ft. Nelson saturday morning by myself to rough in some slab heating pipe on a project we have there. Arrived at 4-30 pm and spent 4 hours in the rain getting it done. Went to the Husky to grab a drink and hit the road to Ft. St. John for the morning hunt. In line I see a guy wearing a Stika Gear hat and fire up a conversation and end up meeting Kevin from River Jet Adventures. Bsed for 1/2 hour and really enjoyed meeting him, seemed like a real nice fellow. Left and travelled to John threw a brutal rainstorm.

Met a buddy at 4-30 in the morning (zero sleep at this point) and headed into an area he has permission on. First light I look and a beautiful buck is headed straight towards us. He was about a 170 muley in full velvet. Buddy gives me first crack and I get my bow ready. He stops I judge 50 yards get my pin on him and put one right beneath his belly! MISJUDGED the distance and he was gone to not be found again!

This was the first animal I have held a pin on and I am now oficially hooked on this bow-hunting thing. Walked around in the rain for 3 more hours and then drove home to PG to get some sleep. 5 hours driving and I replayed it in my head the whole time. Definately without a doubt I will be spending more time with the ol stick and string in the future.

hillclimber
09-08-2009, 10:28 AM
did you get a pic of him at least? oh well you'll get him next time.

muleychaser
09-08-2009, 10:34 AM
It seems like everytime I take a camera I have no luck. I have found leavin it at home seems to be my good luck charm. But hey hunters aren't superstitous are they? :lol:

shaner338
09-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Bowhunting is addictive!! Wait till you have one on the ground..;-)

09-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I hear you...bowhunting is ADDICTIVE...

Ambush
09-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Sounds like you had a great time. Keep trying, it will happen. But if you're going to shoot much past 25 yards, you better get a range-finder. Better for you and the animal.

And you're probably hooked on the excitement now anyway, so you might as well start spending money.;)

muleychaser
09-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I have a range finder but they way it went down there wasnt a chance to use it. It definately is a humbling experience to judge bow range compared to rifle range.

lightmag
09-08-2009, 01:37 PM
hey buddy, into the bow now hey? right on!! you going to chase any elk around anytime soon? My brother and i are heading out tomorrwo for 3 days, hitting our honey hole opening morning looking for another 6 pt!! we should hook up for a hunt this year, what are your plans? PM me