PDA

View Full Version : elk hunting and grizz

triggr31
09-08-2009, 10:13 AM
For you hunters heading out to cranbrook hunting the area between wardner-fort steele rd and the bull river keep your ears and eyes open wide. There are three grizzz in the small area killing everything in site. i found three fresh kills including one four point elk . We exited the kill zone immediately after finding it and went to have lunch at the quad. The whole time we were there the two males were watching us from the top of this knob. when we started the quad they ran at us and we got the hell out of there. we then went back that night to check our area for anything to hunt but again ran into the two bears which are so cocky as to not leave and show there dominance to us. IT freaked us out to know we were sitting in the dark there at that spot in the morn thinking that we bumped deer when we walked in but yet to find out it was actually grizz. They certainly dont belong there in the flats chasing cattle around. I have hunted this spot for quite sometime now and this year is by far the worst. The locals call the area hamburger hill for a reason.
I then moved up to wasa and we bugled in a nice six point elk but the bugger came in ti seventy yards and held and held and then got smart and got above us and winded us. Very close call but hey just the experiece of calling in the bugger from a km away is success to me. This is my cocaine!!!!!

Ddog
09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
common grizzly in that area, although i have never heard it called hamburger hill. one person may have said that to you because thats what they decided to call it. i know a few spots where there is lots of elk and deer but i wont hunt there because i only carry a bow and the threat of the big G-bear is to much for me. My friends were in there last year and in 1km they spotted 5 G-bears, a sow with 2 cubs and two single bears they suspected would be males.

ferndogger
09-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Always lots of grizz out there. I was solo camping on the upper wildhorse last summer and had a grizz rip through my camp one evening. No gun. No fun. Hiked 3 hours into Fort Steele in the dark after that. My nerves were just a little shot.

Buck
09-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Have run into Grizz there myself although the bear was skittish and took off.They love dead horses a nd such

sourdough
10-31-2009, 07:28 AM
Last year I was cow calling in that area, had abig sow cross in front of me at30 yd I was bow hunting. She was checking the wind and looking for that elk. behind her folowed a sprig cub. that was close!!! I moved to differant area. My buddy and I had a bull located did a stalk with a little cow calling, we were within 35yd from the beded bull when we were charged by 2-2yr old cubs and moma came after the bull. way too close for comfort

J_T
10-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Probably the same three that we kept bumping into up Mause Creek in the spring. Moved out into the harvest fields.

upnover
11-03-2009, 09:22 PM
This is good advice for anyone coming to the east kootenay's to hunt. Every week that passes during the fall means another hundred gut piles are up those drainages we love to go to. With higher success rates for elk hunters comes the added danger of running into a bear that has learned to expect a good meal before denning up. I have tried to figure out a way to warn other hunters before they headed up a trail that had a recent kill, but have so far drawn a blank. Just be careful.

Maverick7
11-24-2009, 06:44 PM
we hunt there anually. we found a dead cow, unknown reasons and the next day she had been turned around and torn up. we also followed print to our treestands. those some crazy bears. but theyll never stop me form hunting my favorite elk area.