PDA

View Full Version : Calling Elk or Moose in Fort St. James area?

papaken
09-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Looking at a trip to FSJ area in the first 2 weeks of October. Wondering if it is a good time for calling? Is it too late for Elk? Too early for Moose? I want to try calling one in to within 40yds as it would be my first bow kill. I have practiced out to 60 yds but most confident at 40 or less. Will also be taking my guns but want to try bowhunting first.
thx

quackquackbang
09-08-2009, 10:00 AM
you should have no problem calling in a moose then! as for elk i have no idea!:cool:

35 Whelen
09-08-2009, 10:00 AM
First two weeks of October should put you right in the middle of the moose rut. Typically 3 week of Sept is when it all starts.

As for elk,.....I can't say as I have had no experience in that area for them.

todbartell
09-08-2009, 10:26 AM
elk season closes Oct 9, and they should be fairly receptive to calling until then. Moose will be in the rut too, should be a good time to be hunting moose and elk in gods country!

Sitkaspruce
09-08-2009, 10:27 AM
For moose, the first week will be good, by Oct 10th they are starting to clam up...a lot. Not to say they will not answer, but they will come in more quite and will not be as aggresive. It usually become more of a spot and stock type of hunting.

Elk will be pretty well done by then. I have have not had any luck calling after the end of Sept in that area. They just seem to go into the thick stuff.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

elkdom
09-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Looking at a trip to FSJ area in the first 2 weeks of October. Wondering if it is a good time for calling? Is it too late for Elk? Too early for Moose? I want to try calling one in to within 40yds as it would be my first bow kill. I have practiced out to 60 yds but most confident at 40 or less. Will also be taking my guns but want to try bowhunting first.
thx

most of the FtStJohn area is included in the 7-20a elk zone, so your good here for a GOS antler less elk and any bull elk 3 points or bigger until Oct 31, you can still call and hear elk middle of Oct most years, although not as aggressive in last part of Oct, moose your timing should be good for calling, although the bull moose antler restriction makes it a bit challenging,,, good luck,
the hunting in 7A should be similar in game activity, moose calling opportunities in Oct are usually good throughout most of BC,,

todbartell
09-08-2009, 10:55 AM
elkdom he is talking about Fort St James, not ft st john :D

elkdom
09-08-2009, 10:59 AM
elkdom he is talking about Fort St James, not ft st john :D
lol, I get it, just giving some options;-)

tomahawk
09-08-2009, 11:00 AM
For moose, the first week will be good, by Oct 10th they are starting to clam up...a lot. Not to say they will not answer, but they will come in more quite and will not be as aggresive. It usually become more of a spot and stock type of hunting.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

Agree, big mature bulls come into rut and leave the rutting stage quicker than the little bulls. The peak time for big bulls is last week of Sept and first of Oct, they can be called before and after but that is the peak. Less than mature bulls can be called from now till well into Oct.

elkdom
09-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Agree, big mature bulls come into rut and leave the rutting stage quicker than the little bulls. The peak time for big bulls is last week of Sept and first of Oct, they can be called before and after but that is the peak. Less than mature bulls can be called from now till well into Oct.
the moose rut trimming must be different in 7A from here in 7-20a, I am still seeing bull moose in full velvet,,,big, small all in velvet

mgnm300
09-08-2009, 11:27 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/DSC4460001.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15176&size=big&cat=501)
i took this pic in region 3 on sept 4th and seen one other bull with the velvet gone

papaken
09-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Thx everyone. Sounds like I might get a crack at an immy if I work at it. I guess elk will be spot and stalk with some cow talk to cover my approach.
Has anyone called or rattled in any deer around that time?

todbartell
09-08-2009, 07:02 PM
deer rut wont be picking up until late October at the earliest, better bet would be Nov 5 thru the 20th for calling

Sitkaspruce
09-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Thx everyone. Sounds like I might get a crack at an immy if I work at it. I guess elk will be spot and stalk with some cow talk to cover my approach.
Has anyone called or rattled in any deer around that time?

Papaken

What area are you going to be in? If you are North of the Fort, the elk are pretty scattered in small pockets. South of the Fort, the elk are more concentrated in the thick stuff along the river. Both areas are very tough to hunt, even during the rut.

Like Bartell said, the deer will not be rutting and will be hard to call.

Cheers

SS

tomahawk
09-08-2009, 09:01 PM
the moose rut trimming must be different in 7A from here in 7-20a, I am still seeing bull moose in full velvet,,,big, small all in velvet

Its only the end of the first week in Sept, lots of time yet to shed the velvet. Length of day is length of day regardless of where you are. Called a young 5 point full velvet bull in on Sept 12th yrs before.

papaken
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I will be hunting up in 7-25 + 7-26 Areas. Had a cow draw a couple of years ago in 7-26, shot one at 40 yds after hiking about 1K down a deact road. Wished I had had my bow. I like to drive in off the main roads, park and hike in to areas people don't go.