PDA

View Full Version : EK trip

Evolution
09-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Just got back from my first trip to the Ek. Left on Opening day. Drove straight up to Cranbrook to hunt Bull River area. Only seen one bull and of course he was way out of range, easy rifle shot, but 70-80 yards was just a tease.Got to see a nice flock of turkeys, a lot of Grouse and of course poo loads of flat top whitey's. Ended up taking a doe home. Im looking forward to getting back up there, I had a great time and I found the people in Cranbrook to be very helpful adn courteous even though I was obviously a "hunter". Some places you go people give you a bad taste just because you got a skinning knife and camo pants on, not in Cranbrook, even had a local offer me to take a deer from his alphalfa field. Didnt take him up on it, but he said I could camp at his land next year if I wanted. I thought that was cool. Even the motel we stayed in was reasonably priced, very clean and provided excellent service. I was talking to my Mom and she told me that my family settled in Yahk and Moyie a 120 years ago or something, I dont know , maybe I belong there. Definately loved the country side up there. Anyone who lives there should consider themselves lucky.

And we loved the fruit and veggies we brough back from Osoyoos, got some serious canning to do now.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/peachlover.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/bowhunter.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/wtdoe.jpg

buckguy
09-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Congrats on the deer. Sounds like a fun trip. Good to see the worlds not full of anti's, at least some people remember where food comes from.

bcbooner
09-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Cranbrook is a hunting comunity with a large portion of the population out hunting in the fall.I have never had a negative response while i have been in town getting suplies while dressed in camo.Nice to see a buisness with a sign to welcome hunters.Will be in the EK in two weeks for two weeks.

budismyhorse
09-08-2009, 07:34 AM
....the mayor of Cranbrook for many many terms was an avid hunter, and generally the town is pretty supportive of hunting and that way of life. Lots of ranching and so forth.

I've processed a lot of hunting photos around town and you always have to explain what you killed and where you went to the people that work there ........not:"ooooo gross, thats mean".

Everett
09-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Just up the road in Kimberley its pretty much the same story. A few years agoafter I had moved back to the EK from the coast I was skinning a dear in my garage which is right at the street line. Doors wide open and two middle aged woman in there power walking suits go by and spot me and my half skinned deer. I think here we go as one of them turns around and marches straight into my garage.
Than proceeds to grab an antler turn it to ckeck its a 4point congragulates me on getting such a nice deer than heads back to the street to join her walking buddy. I stutter out a thank you while thinking I aint on the coast anymore and I like it. The EK is one of the most hunter freindly areas in BC even the non hunters are pro hunting.

09-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Same up here in Golden/Invermere area. Even most of the long time Albertan commuters in the Windermere Lake area know better then to bad mouth hunting no matter how they feel because hunting is a way of life in the East Kootenay's and they've grown accustomed to that fact. The influx of resident hunters and guide-outfitting bring an annual economic boost which is important and most of the guide-outfitters are still local family run operations. You can buy a rifle or shotgun in almost any sporting goods store and you can even carry it out to your vehicle un-cased without anyone even noticing. I also skin deer and elk in my garage with the door open and the reaction from the street is mostly thumbs-up. Most locals pay little attention because it's a common sight in most East Kootenay communities in September. The greatest absenteeism from workplaces and schools is during hunting season. It's the absolute greatest.

squamishmiles
09-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a great place to live, how is the building going on out there. If i can get work.......

triggr31
09-08-2009, 10:16 AM
oh my god the people of cranbrook are cool with hunting . coming in to town with racks on the roof always arises thumbs up and whistles its an awesome spectacle.

shaner338
09-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Congrats on the deer!! I find most of the towns off the island and outside Vancouver are all accepting to hunters..:smile:

Bow Walker
09-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Nice deer Evo. Going to be very tasty. Good luck out there the next time you go.

Mik
09-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Congrats on the deer.

J_T
09-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Had some fresh archery killed venison steaks last night on the grill.

hoyt
09-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Good looking deer, congrats on your hunt!! Much more season to go, keep having fun and excellent hunts :razz:

The Hermit
09-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Some of the local coffee shops and convenience store will post pictures of your kill on their bulletin boards too - I love Cranny!