PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow Questions

hunterofthedeer
09-07-2009, 10:54 PM
My brother and I are looking to get into bowhunting. I thought using a crossbow would be interesting. For you bowhunters would you reccomend a crossbow. What brand of crossbow would you say, but we don't want to pay an arm and a leg. We want to start with hunting deer next hunting season with a bow. The progress to bigger game. So we were thinking of getting one that is legal for deer and moose.

brotherjack
09-08-2009, 08:38 AM
I recommend you buy an Exaclibur and never look back. You'll never regret it. They make a really nice product (and it's made in Canada to boot). For flinging an arrow at hunting ranges (inside 40 yards, preferably well inside), anything Excalibur makes will git er done; you don't have to spend the money for their top of the line stuff.

Amphibious
09-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Been tossing up the Excalibur Vortex and the Barnett Predator. anyone have any side by side comparisons?

09-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I love my Ten Point, they make an excellent product. I don't think a person can go wrong with any of the top names, just depends on preference and how much you want to spend. They all make decent products and all shoot fairly accurate.

Bow Walker
09-08-2009, 09:57 PM
There are quite a few good crossbows out there. In fact any of them are going to be what you want. I'd suggest going with a "package" deal that includes the scope sight, quiver, and arrows as a minimum.

Welcome to the A-side.

Shootingblanks
09-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Well funny you should ask this question because I was in the same boat. I've been wanting to get into bow hunting and yet I'm apprehensive about my skill level with a bow and subsequently opted for a crossbow as the alternative until I felt confident about shot placement.

I chose the Exomax from Excalibur and am completely blown away by the accuracy and speed of the unit. In my humbled opinion, I can't see anything meeting it's capability/durability and as mentioned it's made in Canada. Prior to making my purchase I visited most of the archery shops in the Vancouver area and the Valley and found the best price at Chilliwack Dart and Tackle (talk to Dale).

If you have any further questions, feel free to drop me a line.

hunterofthedeer
09-09-2009, 08:13 AM
would it be cheaper to wait until wholesale sports opens in Prince George?

09-09-2009, 09:09 AM
I would go Excalibur...however, don't be intimidated by compound bows. They are much more fun to practice with, and really not difficult to achieve proficiency with.

brotherjack
09-09-2009, 09:22 AM
however, don't be intimidated by compound bows. They are much more fun to practice with, and really not difficult to achieve proficiency with.

I would totally agree. I practice with my crossbow for a couple of weeks to warm up for hunting season, because it takes a little practice to keep proficient with it. I practice with my compound bow (rotator cuffs permitting, which sadly, they often don't) almost year round, because it's a lot of fun! And with a release and a peep sight, attaining "hunting accuracy" is pretty much a given.

mikeinajeep
09-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I know crossbows are pricy but I did a ton of research and the excalabur is buy far the best setup. There faster like the PSE TAC 15 but you cant get them in canada and there 1299.99 US. The ten point line is nice but canadian made.

phoenix
09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
I have the Barnett Predator now and had an Excalibur Phoenix before the Predator. The Predator is scary fast and flat shooting, the top 2 crosshairs take me out to 55yds, but the trigger and rail system leave a little to be desired. You also have to get a super strong target as it will blow bolts through most targets with ease. Accuracy is acceptable. The Excaliburs are a little slower and with a considerably more arching trajectory but the accuracy is astounding. If you are going to hunt inside 50yds the Phoenix will get-er-done for sure and as mentioned is Canadian made. It's easy to work on, change strings etc, which the Barnett is not. If you want the fastest thing out there go for the Barnett, it is a hoot.
Kim

hunterofthedeer
09-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I know crossbows are pricy but I did a ton of research and the excalabur is buy far the best setup. There faster like the PSE TAC 15 but you cant get them in canada and there 1299.99 US. The ten point line is nice but canadian made.
What could i get for about 500-800 dollars

brotherjack
09-09-2009, 01:45 PM
What could i get for about 500-800 dollars

A decent setup with an Excalibur Phoenix could be had in that price neighbourhood. That's what I've been using the last few years, and it's served me well. It'll hammer an arrow through a deer with so much speed to spare that you'll be hard pressed to find the arrow when you're done (ask me how I know).

hunterofthedeer
09-09-2009, 02:37 PM
A decent setup with an Excalibur Phoenix could be had in that price neighbourhood. That's what I've been using the last few years, and it's served me well. It'll hammer an arrow through a deer with so much speed to spare that you'll be hard pressed to find the arrow when you're done (ask me how I know).
Im thinking that I know how you know:wink:
Is it leagal for mooose

brotherjack
09-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Is it leagal for mooose

I know of no reason why it wouldn't be legal for moose (or elk) or anything else you can hunt with a bow in this province.

xtremearchery
09-09-2009, 03:12 PM
I would recommend the Barnett. You can get it in a package for a very affordable price. Big Game Archery in Abbotsford carries the complete line up. Contact Wayne Meyers @ 604-859-2086. He is also the authorized warranty dealer for Barnett crossbows.

mikeinajeep
09-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Moose,,,, goto youtube or the excalabur site and see some ubor rich ass drop an elephant with one. Which I think is wrong, if you arent going to eat it dont kill it!!!!!

igojuone
09-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Go with the Excalibur, as they say, they are crossbows built by crossbow hunters. I would go with either the Exomax or the Equinox, either can be had for around the 1K price ready to go. If your not in a hurry check the classified ads and you'll find one if your patient.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/m/content/article.php?content_id=1

Bowzone_Mikey
09-09-2009, 06:13 PM

the thing with the TAC 15 ...is you pay 13 hundy for the upper ... you still have to supply the AR-15 lower mechanism ... that is why you cant you cant get them in Canada ...and honestly ...they are crap to hunt with ... way big and way bulky

Top of line price wise is by far the Stryker series from Bowtech and well worth it

for 6-8 hundy you set yourself up real nice with a most crossbows and be extremly happy ... I seen some at Troutfitters on central st. last time I was there ... Being from Clucuz ... its 6 one 1/2 dozen the other if you come into PG or go to Vanderhoof and Visit OSS ... on Burrard st.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Is it leagal for mooose

In British Columbia .. a cross bow is considered legal archery tackle .. so you can use it during albeit short Bow only seasons

In Alberta Crossbows are not legal archery tackle ..so you cannot use them during their archery season or in their Bow only zones

358win
09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Barnett Revolution
345 FPS
Comes with...
Scope
Quiver
4 carbon 22 " bolts with 125 field points
$ 450.00 ish
Good bang for the buck.
Just need your fav. broadhead.

hunterofthedeer
09-09-2009, 09:53 PM
yes but to take a moose there has to be a draw of 160 lbs or something if im not mistaken

triggr31
09-09-2009, 10:12 PM
you have more than enough draw for any animal including rhino

vortex hunter
09-13-2009, 02:14 PM
I bought the excalibur vortex and it friggin sweet look at italian sporting goods in vancouver I got the right stuff package also with the scope never toched a thing on my scope and the arrow hit were i was shooting every time ....nick

Duckman
10-03-2009, 11:01 PM
yes but to take a moose there has to be a draw of 160 lbs or something if im not mistaken

Yes there are minimum draw weight rules-read em carefully here...

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/0910/docs/Hunting-TrappingSynopsis_0910_Part1.pdf

sparky300winmag
10-04-2009, 06:02 AM
My brother got a nice 51" moose with the excalibur last week.He shot it at about 40 yds and it only went 50 yrds.Perfect shot placement and a thru and thru.I totally recommend the excalibur.

huntwriter
10-04-2009, 11:01 AM
For me it's hands down the Excalibur crossbow. Granted they are bit pricey. But you can't beat the quality and to top it the recurve design - no wheels to tune - makes for easy maintenance and reliable consistency. Excalibur crossbows are true hunting crossbow designed and manufactured by crossbow hunters.

Mr Cam
10-10-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm very happy with my Excalibur Pheonix, nice scope and accessories, accurate and rugged, simple design. I wouldn't want to play dodge-ball with it!!!

Bigbear
10-11-2009, 10:19 AM
I set up a Predator for a Customer, and It is a Beast. 13 lbs full set up. You will not be able to cock it unless you have the pull rope . I tried and , Just about Sh***t:???: my self trying to.

rattling_junkie
10-16-2009, 11:44 PM
sparky300winmag,
What is a thru and thru?
I think you may mean a pass through.

mikeinajeep
10-17-2009, 04:58 AM
Rattling, you are right the arrow goes right thru and then goes skipping off into the underbrush never to be seen again.

CrossBowGuy
10-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Im a new hunter and i want to go crossbow hunting can u tell me a good begginers crossbow for around 500

mikeinajeep
10-28-2009, 07:55 AM
crossbowguy, I think you need to spend a bit more or try and buy used. I love my excal and shoot near daily but it was alittle more than 500. if you live around surrey pm me and I will let you try it out.

Buck_virgin
11-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I have an excalibur phoenix package and it cost me less than $800 from bass pro....they only goofed up on the arrow heads they sent me....I had to add on the hand crank that fits on the back....when I got it I tried to shoot it without the crank and after about 6 shots I ended up in the hospital with the worst mechanical back injury my doc had seen in 20yrs..granted I had an existing back issue but they had little to with each other. So be careful when cocking your crossbows.

hunterofthedeer
11-13-2009, 04:59 PM
I have an excalibur phoenix package and it cost me less than $800 from bass pro....they only goofed up on the arrow heads they sent me....I had to add on the hand crank that fits on the back....when I got it I tried to shoot it without the crank and after about 6 shots I ended up in the hospital with the worst mechanical back injury my doc had seen in 20yrs..granted I had an existing back issue but they had little to with each other. So be careful when cocking your crossbows.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure when we are getting a crossbow right now. Hopefuly befor next season!

M@B
11-13-2009, 10:47 PM
For a cross bow to be legal to hunt with in BC it has to have a minimum draw weight 120lbs for deer and 150lbs for anything bigger. Most cross bows made these days are 150+ anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

Gateholio
11-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Hard to beat the Excaliber line of Crossbows. :-D

OOBuck
11-14-2009, 09:39 AM
I have a Horton crossbow 175 Legend. I feel comfortable out to about 40 yard. I have yet to take an animal with it but for the rest of the season I'll be using it to try and put a challange into the hunt. It came with Easton aluminum shaft but as of last night I switched to carbons and the improvement is quite noticable in the much flatter trojectory.

Phreddy
11-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Moose,,,, goto youtube or the excalabur site and see some ubor rich ass drop an elephant with one. Which I think is wrong, if you arent going to eat it dont kill it!!!!!

x2.....amen

Duckman
11-14-2009, 03:00 PM

When you injured yourself, were you using the rope cocker or pulling the string with just your fingers?

11-14-2009, 09:59 PM

That is impressive footage. BTW, most elephants that are killed by hunters are part of herds that require culling, and the meat is distributed to local villagers to offset the crop losses they experience from elephants. I have no problem with that.

mikeinajeep
11-16-2009, 01:44 PM
I can live with that. No waste is good.