PDA

View Full Version : First Goose

09-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Well I got my first goose on opening day. and what a long day it was. I was ready at 530 to paddle out my punt to my selected spot in Ladner. All geared up, with decoys that bob lent me, and my new punt (thanks gunner) and had to make the call to stay onshore because of the wind. I have been warned by all of the guys who have helped me to not go out in in anything over 15 knots, and with an offshore breeze and the current going out if something happened I would be swept out to sea. so I sat there and watched the birds fly away from my selected hunting spot that I had scouted the morning before. then I went home for a nap. I came back out at 11 and paddeled my punt from wellington to my spot. there were about 5 other groups where I wanted to hunt, and I had to set up well out of the way of where the geese were flying. there was a lot of skybusting out there which made things worse. I was able to decoy one and I even let him land right in my spread before spooking him and then shooting him. Patience taught to me by bob "brant hunter". once the birds stoped flying I had a good hour paddle back in with the wind in my face, and then hit speed's pub for some burgers and beer. It turned out to be a prity good day after a morning of no hunting. pics coming soon....

Would like to thank Brant hunter, Gunner, Fowl Language and F350 for all the help.

also, I just got a layout blind from cabelas and if anyone is feild hunting and needs an extra guy give me a pm, I'm free every day of goose hunting.

PGK
09-07-2009, 01:44 PM
YEAAH! Put one in the spread on the first time out solo, nothin beats that!!

Tanya
09-07-2009, 04:42 PM
WEll done, congrats.

field marshal
09-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Now thats perseverence 870. Good on you.
You sound like me when I was a kid.
I would never say DIE when it came to Waterfowling!!
Continued success to you this season.
Cheers, Field Marshal.

branthunter
09-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Nice job John.

09-08-2009, 12:46 PM
I got one more this morning!
I took my kayak out to paddle to my spot for some pass shooting. I took 9 floaters, and headed on my way at 540. arrived at my spot at 630 and got my decoys set up. the first flight takes off just before 7 and is coming my way. they are just in range as the pass buy I lift my gun up, lead one by a foot and shot. Hit it right in the head and it drops out of the sky. no meat dammage and I'v got another nice bird in the fridge. a few more flights in the morning, but nothing close enough to throw steel at. there were way less people out than on saturday, but there were still some guys busting on the other side of the river, who scared a flock heading at me. I packed up around 845 and the nice guy hunting beside me offered me a ride back wich I couldn't turn down. It saved me a long paddle against the wind and current. I'm goin out again on thursday, but I think I am going to try to find a feild to hunt or a different location that isn't all pass shooting and put some time in my cabelas interceptor laydown blind. Any points in the right direction around ladner or richmound would be great. pm me and I wont tell a sole.

303Brit
09-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Congrads 870

I just bagged my first goose this past Saturday as well, not quite a story like yours though went out and laid in a field and got 2 on opener and 5 more the next day.

Evolution
09-08-2009, 06:50 PM
I should sure like to try goose hunting. Sounds like a blast. I tried to get permission locally and was clearly told no way. I dont know any other place to find them.Oh well some day. Nice story anyways.
How do they taste?

PGK
09-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Dude, love the dedication. Paddle 50mins to get to your spot? Far more dedicated than most of us, I think!

303Brit
09-09-2009, 08:57 AM
I should sure like to try goose hunting. Sounds like a blast. I tried to get permission locally and was clearly told no way. I dont know any other place to find them.Oh well some day. Nice story anyways.
How do they taste?

Are you a member of Courtenay Fish and Game? I ask becuase if you are Donnie Hereford will give you permission to hunt on his farm on Dyke rd. You have to go to his house though with your membership or BCWF insurance, he has a hunter agreement and he will explain where you are allowed to shoot and not shoot. it's a pretty productive spot, although can be kinda of busy

If you try to line everything up, you should be ready to hunt his fields for next opening

09-09-2009, 09:01 AM
I cooked one up last night with stuffing, baccon on top and veggies below............... amazing. I tried to eat it all for dinner but got no where close so I am eating it for breakfast as well. mmmmmmmmmm

09-09-2009, 09:23 AM
pictures up.
someone can post them if they know how.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/johnromanko/P9050115.jpg

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/johnromanko/P9080121.jpg

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/johnromanko/P9080124.jpg

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/johnromanko/P9080128.jpg

quackquackbang
09-09-2009, 12:35 PM
all you have to do is in photo bucket where the pic is copy where it say's IMG code(normally under the photo) then past here!! Nice looking honker!! sure looks tasty!

09-09-2009, 04:11 PM
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/johnromanko/P9080121.jpg

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/johnromanko/P9050115.jpg

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/johnromanko/P9080124.jpg

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/johnromanko/P9080128.jpg

Evolution
09-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Yes I am a member and have a valid BCWF card, thanks for the tip! I seen a few guys set up the other day and wondered how they got in there. Do you ever hunt them 303? Maybe you would be willing to teach a rookie?

Are you a member of Courtenay Fish and Game? I ask becuase if you are Donnie Hereford will give you permission to hunt on his farm on Dyke rd. You have to go to his house though with your membership or BCWF insurance, he has a hunter agreement and he will explain where you are allowed to shoot and not shoot. it's a pretty productive spot, although can be kinda of busy

If you try to line everything up, you should be ready to hunt his fields for next opening

303Brit
09-10-2009, 11:34 AM
When I get back from National's I'll send you a PM and we'll try to set it up for next opening. I'm by no means super experienced, I got 7 in the bag so far this season on 2 outtings, Best part its on a borrowed Shotgun.

rudar
09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Nice! I'm planning to hunt Ladner by solo canoe, so good to hear I'm not the only one with that daft an idea :)

09-10-2009, 02:55 PM
a canoe works just fine, just don't put to much stuff in it. and dont bother trying to shoot from the boat.

Ruger4
09-10-2009, 03:07 PM
I remember my first goose , and yes i remember Ladner , ohhhh if the marshes off westham island could talk ,or the corn fields on 41B , the brant hunting in point Roberts , those were the days :wink:

rudar
09-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Would it be asking to reveal secrets if I asked where you put in? Is there somewhere at the end of River Road you can safely drop a canoe in, or is it all steep and rocky? I seem to remember a rocky sea-wall type of thing where we parked when we walked out towards the foreshore, but paddling all the way from Wellington seems like a long haul... I guess I'll just have to drive down there and look :)

Gunner
09-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Congrats 870,you're learning fast!Be careful in that punt tho',and keep hammering them! Cheers,Gunner

09-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Would it be asking to reveal secrets if I asked where you put in? Is there somewhere at the end of River Road you can safely drop a canoe in, or is it all steep and rocky? I seem to remember a rocky sea-wall type of thing where we parked when we walked out towards the foreshore, but paddling all the way from Wellington seems like a long haul... I guess I'll just have to drive down there and look :)

I launched from wellington. there is a launch on westham Island, but it is private, and from what I have heard, not worth going to ask for permission. but if you are going to hunt with your canoe as long as your not on westham, just drive as close as possible to where you want to hunt and drag your canoe over the dyke and into the water. I've done that a few times at the brunswick and it saved me a huge paddle from wellington. at the end of river road right before the turnaround there is a small dock, and on the east side of it there is a grass path to slide your boat in.

hope this helps.

rudar
09-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Cool, thanks. I'll have to go scout brunswick by canoe sometime this month. Going by google earth, the rockwall I remember is pretty short, so either to the east or to the west of it there should be space to launch without dinging the paint up too much...