PDA

View Full Version : do you bowhunters re use your broadheads for hunting?

ROEBUCK
09-06-2009, 04:09 PM
so i dont feel confident in using my broadheads after using them on an animal as worried i wont get enough penetration,what does everyone else do??? ,i was planning to use them for practice as i only practice with broadheads.

358win
09-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I use fixed blades & just resharpen them.
On Mechanicals you can replace the blades.

tomahawk
09-06-2009, 04:50 PM
so i dont feel confident in using my broadheads after using them on an animal as worried i wont get enough penetration,what does everyone else do??? ,i was planning to use them for practice as i only practice with broadheads.

I send them to my practice pile like you are planning to do as I use replaceable blades.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-06-2009, 05:28 PM
You can sharpen them no problem ... I have used the same head on 9 animals now ...just sharpen the blades after each harvest (I replaced the blades after 5 harvests ...not sure that I needed to but wanted to )

shaner338
09-06-2009, 05:29 PM
I reuse them. Just change the blades out..(for the ones I actually find)..:tongue:

ROEBUCK
09-06-2009, 06:14 PM
I reuse them. Just change the blades out..(for the ones I actually find)..:tongue:
yeah broadheads are expensive i have 2 in the bush that im gona try to find early winter before the snow comes hopefully find em then.oh and 1 practice arrow in my yard somewere!!

Robinhood
09-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Sharpen them up and shoot 'em again. (Of course take a good look to ensure they are straight and not damaged...)

huntwriter
09-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I re-sharpen mine like others said here. I use Magnus cut on impact heads (easiest to sharpen) and NAP Thunderheads. Some of my blades have been re-sharpened for several years now and are still good. On the Thideheads I also re-sharpen the tips with a file or on the sanding belt when the point gets too dull.

bowhunterbruce
09-07-2009, 05:12 AM
like many others i know i replace my broadheads every year,i'm one who believes that its important that every arrow is as close to each other arrow i have in my quiver to ensure that they all fly exactly like each other.
if i was to sharpen blades i don't have that guarentee that each side if each blade has been sharpened the same amount as the other sides after useing it on an animal.by replacing the blades at least i just have to touch them up to fine tune the edges.
i will use the old blades for practice prior to season starting to install the confidence in both my equipment and myself,even though i do at least 8 to 12- 3d shoots every year from feb through aug. i feel that thier are always many different factors involved when useing broadheads and i want to be 100% sure of what i am going to see when i hit that release rigger.after all we owe it to the animals to ensure they are dispatched quickly and effectively.
bow b

Bow Walker
09-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Robinhood has it right. Inspect the b'head for straightness and/or any bad nicks that might happen if you hit a rock.

Fixed, mechanical, replaceable blade, they're all re-sharpenable.

MikeH
09-08-2009, 08:55 PM
yeah broadheads are expensive i have 2 in the bush that im gona try to find early winter before the snow comes hopefully find em then.oh and 1 practice arrow in my yard somewere!!

lol I have had many of those.Some I found some not, if you have access to a metal detector it helps.When I started bowhunting I use to hate loosing arrows I've come to grips that an arrow is a consumable from nock to broadhead.I always try to salvage.
I've also used thunderheads just resharpen test the sharpness by attempting to shave hair off the back of your hand or forearm if you can easily shave then ready for the field.