PDA

View Full Version : area2_greenhorn

granpa's_303
09-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Grew up in anti-everything fun house. No friends or family in to hunting. No 4x4, no experience to speak of. Last winter went with equally experienced friend for whitetail in Swan Hills AB, spent most of ten days (much to my dismay) in a truck with heated seats, driving oil-field service roads looking for buck luck (skunked).
I do have...
my granpa's 303 (shoots nice'n straight), a new Savage 30-06 w/ simons scope
good coat, boots, field dressing kit, a year and a half range practice.
grew up in Harrison Hot Springs, pretty experienced outdoorsmen, good bushcraft skills, managed to find lots of deer sign last winter, but otherwise don't know my a** from a hole in the ground.
Any tips? Can't afford a guided trip. Very patient, not afraid to hike (good thing with no truck), not expecting to become a grisled vet this season, but would love to stuff that freezer.
HELP!!!

Gnarly
09-06-2009, 04:47 PM
are you still in the harrison area? if its blacktails your looking for get off the road and up on the top third of the mountain and have a look around right at daybreak and dusk on the edge of the slash , rainy days with low ceilings drop what your doing and go hunting , scout a few yards inside the bush around the slash and find the trails they're using, put in some honest hours and it'll happen for you.

granpa's_303
09-06-2009, 05:19 PM
cheers, yeah moved to chilliwack, but know that bush best

Geo.338
09-06-2009, 05:28 PM
If you have the time and a partner who is interested .Plan a trip to the greenhorn mecca for deer .Texada Island .The deer are small but there are many of them .There is a junior doe season in the last week of October .3 deer limit too .If you are interested I will share some info with you via PM .Geo.338