PDA

View Full Version : wow what a day with the cross bow

matt420
09-06-2009, 02:52 PM
well just got back from my 4th day in a row hunting binge. seen lots or doe's the first 3 days but today the bucks started comin out after it rained thismoring. was up in our honey hole area and right when it stoped raining first clear cut we went through no more than like 70 yards there was a buck 3x2, so i creeped out and loaded the cross bow as my buddy shot it with the range finder....19 yards it ranged in at. so i tried to rest on the hood didnt have a clear shot and i had to free hand from behind the truck, was the first buck i seen all season and had the "buck gitters" and missed his neck about 2 inches. :( he felt the breeze on it i bet and it spooked him and didnt get another shot off :(. he was the only buck that hung around long enough for me to get a shot off but only one. over all we seen the 3x2 that i had a crack at (its hard useing a cross bow never have before fist time shootin at one with a bow), two 2x2's one didnt stick around for long and the other one we seen we stalked for about 20 min then he was gone through the thickets and were to far for a shot, and a massive 5x4 the ranged in at 70 yard from the truck so i went to get a little closer and first step into the ditch he was up from his bedding area and gone in a blink of an eye.. was a nice big big rack hope to see him during rifle season..... BANG! haha... but over all a good 4 days and still hopeing to get out tomorrow to for a 5th :) (hope i can hit the next one :( hahaha)

PGK
09-06-2009, 02:56 PM
For the love of god practice hitting something before you run out into the bush waving a crossbow around. And you never, ever take head/neck shots with a bow.

amerikazmoswanted23
09-06-2009, 02:58 PM
why you aiming for the neck ? why not the lungs you probly would have got that buck if aimed at the lungs. That being said i wasn't there so i'm not trying to give you a hard time. just asking

BlacktailStalker
09-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Shooting a buck in the neck with an arrow is just plain stupid not to mention totally unethical.

Ozone
09-06-2009, 03:10 PM
so i tried to rest on the hood

Anyone know if thats legal? or not?

sparkymacker
09-06-2009, 03:28 PM
I have a problem with using Cross Bows period in Bow season. Archery guys practice all year round as a rule, and are sure where their arrows are going. This guy is typical of Cross Bow hunters, they dust it off come archery season and then put it away for the rest of the year.

amerikazmoswanted23
09-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I have a problem with using Cross Bows period in Bow season. Archery guys practice all year round as a rule, and are sure where their arrows are going. This guy is typical of Cross Bow hunters, they dust it off come archery season and then put it away for the rest of the year.
It's not just cross bow guys. i know guys that don't even check to see where there rifle is shooting before the season. myself i'll shoot 3 or 4 boxes off before te season starts. And there are cross bow guys that practice. aparrently this guy isn't one of them.

500grhollowpoint
09-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Holy crap you guys all need to get off your high horses. And it's legal as long as 1 foot is on the ground... I'm sure he read the first guy say not to shoot in the neck.... You don't all need to chime in.

matt420
09-06-2009, 03:39 PM
oo trust me i was out all summer shootin that thing... would never just go into the bush with never shooting and practiceing hittin something before you glue sniffers. hahah you all make be laugh ......... o ya and i woulda gone for the ****in lungs but kinda hard when the only shot i had at him was neck or head................... dont post stupid shit if you werent there to see the shot next time .......... ps stay off the glue

bsa30-06
09-06-2009, 03:39 PM
this thread isnt going to last long.

THE SWEDE
09-06-2009, 03:41 PM
dont post stupid shit if you werent there to see the shot next time .......... ps stay off the glue

Your a idiot..Take some of your own advice..Glue sniffer

bsa30-06
09-06-2009, 03:46 PM
oo trust me i was out all summer shootin that thing... would never just go into the bush with never shooting and practiceing hittin something before you glue sniffers. hahah you all make be laugh ......... o ya and i woulda gone for the ****in lungs but kinda hard when the only shot i had at him was neck or head................... dont post stupid shit if you werent there to see the shot next time .......... ps stay off the glue

If the shot was questionable and it sounds like it was then maybe you should have passed on him and waited for another day.Oh and calling people glue sniffers only makes your post and account of the story less credible.Better luck next time.

Ozone
09-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Holy crap you guys all need to get off your high horses. And it's legal as long as 1 foot is on the ground... I'm sure he read the first guy say not to shoot in the neck.... You don't all need to chime in.

Please note I was just asking a question as to legality about something that I was unclear on. Yes I will accept your appoligy.

dave_fras
09-06-2009, 03:54 PM
hahaha wow!... you guys are acting like little kids!..this is the reason i dont ever post anythign about my hunts!.. someone always has something to say!... i remember i posted something about the height of my treestand and some guy opened his mouth and started beaking off saying it was to high up and i cant get an ethical shot from there!... i shoot 5 days a week!... i know my limits... so i think ppl should keep things to themselfs haha

THE SWEDE
09-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I hate bowhunters

KodiakHntr
09-06-2009, 03:57 PM

Not legal...Definately not legal...

It is not legal to:

to discharge, carry or have in possession
a firearm containing live ammunition in
its breech or in its magazine attached to
the firearm, in or on a railway car, motor
vehicle, sleigh, aircraft, bicycle or other
conveyance.

to carry a cocked crossbow in or on a

vehicle, or to discharge a bow from a
vehicle of any kind

Might want to be careful on who you tell that particular story to.....Pretty sure pasting it across the internet ain't a good idea.

Shooter
09-06-2009, 04:01 PM
I agree I don't ever chime in and call down a guys post on here. I love seeing and hearing about other guys hunts. But as far as I know this statement is completly false. Unless its different for a bow than a rifle? I don't bow hunt and I'd need to check that but I'm sure you cannot touch a motorized vehicle with a loaded weapon period.

And it's legal as long as 1 foot is on the ground...

Shooter
09-06-2009, 04:02 PM
oops.. beat me to it Kodiac

oldtimer
09-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I hate bowhunters

Hate is a very strong emotion. What led to this extreme feeling about people like me ? Mike

PGK
09-06-2009, 04:06 PM
You never, ever shoot anywhere except the boiler room with a bow. Period. Anything else is stupid. If you don't have a shot, you don't take it. Seems like you're all hung up on killing something. Typical. No respect for the animal.

THE SWEDE
09-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Hate is a very strong emotion. What led to this extreme feeling about people like me ? Mike

Im being a "Sarcsati-Bitch" Shoulda added a smiley

Stone Sheep Steve
09-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Don't worry ..Mikey hates everything..... hmmmmmm......where have I heard that before??:wink:

Neck shot with a bow??

SSS

oldtimer
09-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Having read this thread over I don't think I would have taken the shot. Having said that I can understand a new Bowhunter being anxious and pulling the trigger. Hopefully we all learn. Mike

ROEBUCK
09-06-2009, 04:22 PM
how comes on this site when someone makes a mistake some people (web hunters) jump all over it. give the guy a break, im sure he has learned a valuable lesson.there was no harm done!

huntwriter
09-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Just mention crossbow and the finger pointers and ethical police come running. That does a lot of good for recruiting new hunters to our ranks. NOT!

As amerikazmoswanted23 pointed out. It’s better to shoot for the chest. Neck shots are low percentage shots and should be reserved for deer that are very close but they are absolutely deadly and not the least bit unethical. As the original poster found out by a neck shot at longer ranges your either completely miss or kill the deer outright. Very rarley, if ever, does a hunter make a "marginal" neck shot like a gut or liver shot.

Sparkymacker – A crossbow is a bow any way you look at it.:wink: The original poster did not say that he didn’t practice so your assumption that crossbow hunters do not practice with their equipment has no validity whatsoever. Would you say the same if the original poster said he used a trad, or compound bow? I asume you would not. Crossbow hunters do miss game just like compound bow and traditional bowhunters do.

Matt420 you just experienced what 99.9% of all hunters experience. Sometimes you miss and sometimes you kill. More luck next time.

THE SWEDE
09-06-2009, 04:25 PM
how comes on this site when someone makes a mistake some people (web hunters) jump all over it. give the guy a break, im sure he has learned a valuable lesson.there was no harm done!

Stupid statement..We have to as hunter police ourselves.Light em up.And as for no harm done.How many poor shoots resulting in maimed or crippled game happen every year??Oh wait nevermind

matt420
09-06-2009, 04:33 PM
not when i was skunked lastyear and meatless for a year

If the shot was questionable and it sounds like it was then maybe you should have passed on him and waited for another day.Oh and calling people glue sniffers only makes your post and account of the story less credible.Better luck next time.

matt420
09-06-2009, 04:34 PM
love the jealousy

Your a idiot..Take some of your own advice..Glue sniffer

winbuckhunter
09-06-2009, 04:36 PM

crossbow isn't a firearm... soooooooooo???? probably legal!!

500grhollowpoint
09-06-2009, 04:37 PM
.How many poor shoots resulting in maimed or crippled game happen every year??Oh wait nevermind

And it's your friggin job to troll the internet looking for them? Why don't you mind your own business and leave the guy alone. And whoever the dumbass who quoted the regs.... in or on does not mean leaning on. More like out of the back of a truck. Lots of guys lean on their trucks or quads... more ethical than doing a shaky, nervous offhand...

amerikazmoswanted23
09-06-2009, 04:38 PM
i got skunked the last two years. That doesn't mean i'm going to try a 1000 yard shot. lots of ppl get skunked. it doesn't make me feel bad just makes me try harder.

matt420
09-06-2009, 04:38 PM
theres the jealousy again bro your just pissed cuz your season is shorter hahahahahahahahaha

I hate bowhunters

matt420
09-06-2009, 04:39 PM
wasnt standing out or in the truck both feet were on the ground ****in idiot

It is not legal to:

conveyance.

vehicle of any kind

Might want to be careful on who you tell that particular story to.....Pretty sure pasting it across the internet ain't a good idea.

matt420
09-06-2009, 04:42 PM
or maybe because i been meatless for over a year! try thinking before you open your mouth from now on... im a meat hunter i dont eat store bought meat only what i get in hunting seasons. and when you been meatless for that long ya any shot is good for me

You never, ever shoot anywhere except the boiler room with a bow. Period. Anything else is stupid. If you don't have a shot, you don't take it. Seems like you're all hung up on killing something. Typical. No respect for the animal.

BCBear
09-06-2009, 04:44 PM

There's a lot of assumptions to support your problem

matt420
09-06-2009, 04:46 PM
thanks brotha atleast you have some common sence and like i have been reposting i been meatless for over a year and i dont eat store meat... so meatless for that long means to me take any shot i can

Just mention crossbow and the finger pointers and ethical police come running. That does a lot of good for recruiting new hunters to our ranks. NOT!

As amerikazmoswanted23 pointed out. It’s better to shoot for the chest. Neck shots are low percentage shots and should be reserved for deer that are very close but they are absolutely deadly and not the least bit unethical. As the original poster found out by a neck shot at longer ranges your either completely miss or kill the deer outright. Very rarley, if ever, does a hunter make a "marginal" neck shot like a gut or liver shot.

Sparkymacker – A crossbow is a bow any way you look at it.:wink: The original poster did not say that he didn’t practice so your assumption that crossbow hunters do not practice with their equipment has no validity whatsoever. Would you say the same if the original poster said he used a trad, or compound bow? I asume you would not. Crossbow hunters do miss game just like compound bow and traditional bowhunters do.

Matt420 you just experienced what 99.9% of all hunters experience. Sometimes you miss and sometimes you kill. More luck next time.

tomahawk
09-06-2009, 04:46 PM
wasnt standing out or in the truck both feet were on the ground ****in idiot

Just so you are informed and know the law........Example....it is illegal for your firearm to be loaded and leaning against the tire of your truck, like when you get back to the truck and set it up against the tire while you remove your back pack or chat with a buddy.

It is also illegal to rest your loaded bow or firearm against any portion of your vehicle to shoot at an animal.

matt420
09-06-2009, 04:49 PM
you prolly also eat and buy store meat ya not me

i got skunked the last two years. That doesn't mean i'm going to try a 1000 yard shot. lots of ppl get skunked. it doesn't make me feel bad just makes me try harder.

matt420
09-06-2009, 04:50 PM
haha ya firearm a cross bow aint a ****in firearm learn your rules bro

Just so you are informed and know the law........Example....it is illegal for your firearm to be loaded and leaning against the tire of your truck, like when you get back to the truck and set it up against the tire while you remove your back pack or chat with a buddy.

It is also illegal to rest your loaded bow or firearm against any portion of your vehicle to shoot at an animal.

matt420
09-06-2009, 04:54 PM
O YA AND FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE ABOUT THE HOOD THING..... I DIDNT EVEN ****IN SHOOT OFF THE HOOD IF YOU WOULD TAKE YOUR HEAD OUTTA YOUR ASSES AND WIPE THE SHIT FROM YOUR EYES AND READ I SHOT FREE HAND ....... so thanks for the people with some actual ****in respect and **** everyone else!

Shooter
09-06-2009, 04:55 PM

It is not legal to:

conveyance.

vehicle of any kind

I'm pretty sure that refers to the hood as well.

P.S.

IBTL

matt420
09-06-2009, 04:57 PM
again take your head outta your ass and wipe the shit from your eyes and actually read the story homo i never shot from the hood thought about it i shot free hand fag

I'm pretty sure that refers to the hood as well.

P.S.

IBTL

Shooter
O YA AND FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE ABOUT THE HOOD THING..... I DIDNT EVEN ****IN SHOOT OFF THE HOOD IF YOU WOULD TAKE YOUR HEAD OUTTA YOUR ASSES AND WIPE THE SHIT FROM YOUR EYES AND READ I SHOT FREE HAND ....... so thanks for the people with some actual ****in respect and **** everyone else!

I guess you fall in the "everyone else" category?

Ozone
I wonder who else matt420 is?

matt420
09-06-2009, 04:58 PM
nope cuz i dont go around openin my mouth on others posts just my own so fucl< you

I guess you fall in the "everyone else" category?

Shooter
09-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I never said you did shoot from the hood. but just trying to clarify that what you were thinking about doing was illegal so maybe think about something else next time...

Shooter
09-06-2009, 04:59 PM
wow vegitarians are really angry people these days..... :shock:

tomahawk
09-06-2009, 05:00 PM
haha ya firearm a cross bow aint a ****in firearm learn your rules bro

Its appears you have very little experience hunting by the post you wrote. I was only trying to save you from further embarrassment or worse yet legal hassles with my post.

If you read my post it states info about a bow as well as a rifle (because of your post it made me believe you don't know the regs very well for either bow or rifle.)

I would suggest you read the regs, talk to a CO and learn more before you get caught.

I just happen to be a CORE and IBEP (International Bowhunter Education Program) instructor and know my rules quite well thank you! You might want to sign up for a course and learn more about the great sport of bowhunting!

Cheers

matt420
09-06-2009, 05:05 PM
with bow hunting maybe not the most experience but huntin yes i do i have stalked up to deer from over 1000 yards up to 20 and took it with the rifle to already prove a point to a buddy so ya nice try though brotha.. o ya and for the regs i do know a lot on them cuz of one mistake that i make and never even did therefore nothing about my hunts are illeagl if i was gunna do shit that was illeagl i wouldnt have been meatless for over a year now make any sense

Its appears you have very little experience hunting by the post you wrote. I was only trying to save you from further embarrassment or worse yet legal hassles with my post.

If you read my post it states info about a bow as well as a rifle (because of your post it made me believe you don't know the regs very well for either bow or rifle.)

I would suggest you read the regs, talk to a CO and learn more before you get caught.

I just happen to be a CORE and IBEP (International Bowhunter Education Program) instructor and know my rules quite well thank you! You might want to sign up for a course and learn more about the great sport of bowhunting!

Cheers

THE SWEDE
09-06-2009, 05:11 PM
love the jealousy

Jelous of what??Piss poor descions,Lack of brains,Lack of skillz???

Shooter
09-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Jelous of what??Piss poor descions,Lack of brains,Lack of skillz???

Don't forget ... lack of meat.

THE SWEDE
09-06-2009, 05:21 PM

My freezer's fine

shaner338
09-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Holly anger issues!!lol..:eek:

huntwriter
09-06-2009, 05:25 PM
talk about a kindergarten here. I can see this thread been closed now any second now.;-)

brotherjack
09-06-2009, 05:25 PM
talk about a kindergarten here. I can see this thread been closed now any second now.;-)

Wow.. all I can say is..... IBTL!

KodiakHntr
09-06-2009, 05:27 PM
IBTL

Its kinda humourous really....

You still don't get it do ya Matt....Your post spells out how exactly you broke a law...SIMPLY placing a loaded cocked and locked crossbow on the hood of your pickup is illegal. Guys try to help you out before you get your pecker slapped by a CO and you shit all over them?

That must be what, at least a pound of sand in your vagina?

Stone Sheep Steve
09-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Does anyone else think this thread was started by someone who actually doesn't like crossbows??Someone trying to make crossbow hunters look bad??:!:

SSS

THE SWEDE
09-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Does anyone else think this thread was started by someone who actually doesn't like crossbows??Someone trying to make crossbow hunters look bad??:!:

SSS

No..Just some clueless chump:p

Shooter
09-06-2009, 05:31 PM
And whoever the dumbass who quoted the regs.... in or on does not mean leaning on.

Yes it does mean leaning on as well.I agree that it is a bit of a stupid law but that is the way it is. I believe it is designed that way for safety to the other people around as it would be easy for someone to walk down the other side of the truck as you were taking aim over the hood.

Shooter
09-06-2009, 05:32 PM
IBTL

That must be what, at least a pound of sand in your vagina?

LMAO @ that

Brambles
09-06-2009, 05:39 PM
oh my this is a nasty nasty thread.

shaner338
09-06-2009, 05:40 PM

SSS

Possibly, but it only makes the author look bad. When I first read it I could see exactly where it was going....Fast..:wink:

steepNdeep
09-06-2009, 05:48 PM
The problem with the gene pool is that it's free & anyone can get in...

troutseeker
09-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Geez Matt, why do you keep saying "f u" to everyone? Are u that horny for meat? What exactly is your freezer, is that a euphemism?

This thread should be closed shortly on account that Matt is a rude, crude, individual.

IBTL!

slowkey
09-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Shooter http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=508096#post508096)

My freezer's fine

I think he meant look down

PGK
09-06-2009, 06:07 PM
This guy is the reason I don't like people to know I hunt. 420...hmm wonder what that refers to? Driving around in a pickup smoking dope firing arrows at the first thing to move on the premise of 'meat hunting.' Face it buddy, you just like to kill things. And that's wrong.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-06-2009, 06:08 PM
The problem with the gene pool is that it's free & anyone can get in...

and there's no lifeguard...........

SSS

Fisher-Dude

Brrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppppppppp! Wrong answer!

IBTL! :smile:

Edit - Me 'n' Tinney share the same viewpoints today - awesome!

Husq
Its the grammar in the original post that gets me.

NaStY
09-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Well I think this has gone on long enough.....

Elkhound
09-06-2009, 09:05 PM
A lot of this could have been avoided if some of you guys could use a report a post function.