PDA

View Full Version : Bonzai elk ride

steepNdeep
09-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Swing and a miss... Went for a bonzai elk hunt - ~4k up on the bike in a road closure then hiked and hunted from there. With ~50 lbs this desk jockey was suckin' wind hard! :lol:

Finally made it for the last hour of light in a spot that I'd scouted as the only water in the area, but I was a day late - a big storm the day before... no action. Right at dark something that sounded like a donkey came down to the water about 80m away... musta been a swamp donkey.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2521/3893359081_190997a7be_o.jpg

Peddled in the dark up towards another spot that I'd scouted with good sign, but the rain started so I ditched the bike and made camp in the timber. It rained most of the night, but the bear burrito held up pretty well. At about 3am the bugle alarm finally sounded and for broke my semi-slumber. 8-) It sounded like a lone bull about 80m away in the timber.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2641/3893358889_841ae49fb0_o.jpg

He bugled 5 times as I waited for light... At 5:00 a slinked down to the edge of the clearing where I figured he was. I tried all of my sleazy cow talk, found his tracks, but no dice. I roamed and called 'til about 8am. Checked in on the other camp in the area, but they didn't hear a peep. The fresh air was much needed and I'm psyched for rifle...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2605/3893358789_3aa415eaf1_o.jpg

I called in a couple while scouting, a week ago. Anyone getting any action???

35 Whelen
09-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Hey SteepnDeep...is that one of the Hennesy Hammocks? I have wondered how comfy they are to sleep in? Much easier to find two trees close together in the Nelson area than level ground.

Your comments are it are appreciated.

Thanks for the update....been out scouting myself a couple of times, no bugling yet, although did have spike bull come in the other night....silently

Stone Sheep Steve
09-06-2009, 02:08 PM
What?? No story about using the facilities when a monster bull comes-a-bugling??;-)

Thanks for the report.

Good luck with the iron!

SSS

shaner338
09-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Thats a cool hammock. Too bad you didn't get a look at your alarm clock!! I havn't been out for elk but heading to the EK in a couple weeks..

steepNdeep
09-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Brent - that's one of the coolest pics in your avi! Funny I was thinkin about that lookin' at my bow 6 ft away in the position! Thx. - apparently I need luck - I'm challenging Goatguys's seized trigger record! :eek:

35 - Yes that's a Hennessy Hammock. Most of the ground I hunt seems to be steep and rocky... In warmish weather, I'll never go back if I can avoid it. They are light as anything, you don't need a thermarest or flat ground and the floor doesn't get wet. Takes a bit to get used to, but once you figure them out they are da bomb!

35 Whelen
09-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of getting one, but wondered how they were to sleep in, and if they gave you a sore back in the morning?

Cheers

Stone Sheep Steve
09-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Brent - that's one of the coolest pics in your avi! Funny I was thinkin about that lookin' at my bow 6 ft away in the position! Thx. - apparently I need luck - I'm challenging Goatguys's seized trigger record! :eek:
!

Tradsies?? You can have the sun if I can have the elk in your avatar:p.

SSS

Brambles
09-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Tradsies?? You can have the moon if I can have the elk in your avatar:p.

SSS

Hey you fruit, you had the draw, you had the intel and you got trigger happy on your busted up bull. Suck it up:wink::lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
09-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Hey you fruit, you had the draw, you had the intel and you got trigger happy on your busted up bull. Suck it up:wink::lol:

ya..ya...tell me something that I don't already know:roll:.
Still crying myself to sleep:cry::cry::cry:.............................. ...........:rolleyes:

SSS

Brambles
09-06-2009, 05:43 PM
ya..ya...tell me something that I don't already know:roll:.
Still crying myself to sleep:cry::cry::cry:.............................. ...........:rolleyes:

SSS

Your not the only one that is crying themselves to sleep these days:frown:
Is rifle season here yet?

GoatGuy
09-06-2009, 10:35 PM
. - apparently I need luck - I'm challenging Goatguys's seized trigger record! :eek:

I convinced I will see something die this year.:lol:

high and to the right
09-06-2009, 10:49 PM
What's with the donkey sound? It was many years ago when I was far back in the bush and was wakened in the morning just before light by what sounded like a donkey braying. I was 100 yds from a swampy area (moose hunting) and it was so weird to hear this sound. The donkey noise went on and off for a good 20 minutes but just as the day began to break and I was ready to take my walk to the swamp it stopped. You're the only other person whom I've heard that heard that sound. I didn't want to reveal my story because I may be accused of being abducted next.

steepNdeep
09-07-2009, 09:21 AM
wondered how they were to sleep in, and if they gave you a sore back in the morning?

No, for me they are much more comfortable than the hard ground with a 1" pad... Back feels great!

High-Right - Yeah, I was a bit weirded out... sounded like a young moose dropped the soap and got some jailhouse action. :eek: :lol:

Here's last year's camp - a bit steeper:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3524/3184321144_213df6a09b_o.jpg

steepNdeep
09-07-2009, 02:15 PM

So where's your bull, Brambles? You had an LEH in your old stomping grounds last year... ;)

Brambles
09-07-2009, 03:08 PM
So where's your bull, Brambles? You had an LEH in your old stomping grounds last year... ;)

I never had an LEH elk draw last year in any stomping grounds?? Sure wish I did however

mcrae
09-07-2009, 03:12 PM
I never had an LEH elk draw last year in any stomping grounds?? Sure wish I did however

I was wondering why you dragged me into the alpine if you had an LEH elk tag:biggrin:

steepNdeep
09-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Didn't they open up the LEH unit there last year? If they ever opened up my unit I would consider that my one chance at an LEH bull, since I've never drawn one myself...

Brambles
09-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Didn't they open up the LEH unit there last year? If they ever opened up my unit I would consider that my one chance at an LEH bull, since I've never drawn one myself...

No they never opened up any LEH area's around here, they opened up
8-15, which was a LEH area, last year I think but thats not close to home and they lengthened the 4-18 GOS season but thats it.

steepNdeep
09-13-2009, 04:37 PM
ROUND 2 - Well, my pard bailed on me this weekend, so plan B was to head back to this spot (we rescheduled for next weekend when hopefully it cools a bit).

I was jonsin' to get out, so I decided to bike back into this spot Sat. night to see if I could get that bull goin' in the daylight this time... Smokin' hot, so I geared down to just shorts and headed up - stole the wife's chariott (pull behind baby stroller) and life was mucho easier! Ditch the bike with 2 hours of light left.

No responses after roving and calling a few kms on foot. The witching hour arrives, just as I near the top... about 70 yards away I spot a whitey locked on me... looks like horn as up go the binos... yep - bright orange antlers freshly rubbed. I slip down the bino's and up goes the rifle... safety off... he starts to move, I grunt and he stops perfectly broadside... finger on the trigger and then the little devil jumps on my shoulder...

"DON"t do it - it will take 2 trips and 5 hours to hump him outta here. He'll only score ~130... you're here to hunt elk... if you're gonna shoot a meat buck do it near the road in the valley, ya idjut!" :twisted:

The buck starts to move again, I grunt and he stops broadside again... that rusty trigger is like a magnet pullin' my finger...

The devil wins and i put down my gun... he bolts. But as soon as he does, his big cousin steps into view... thicker orange antlers!.. I grunt he hesitates but bolts and i get the texas heart shot in the scope... I let him walk.

The next mornin' I put on some serious miles but nada in the heat. I got a bull goin' a bit, but he was staying cool down in the canyon on the dark side... and I wasn't going to temp myself goin' down after him.

Hopefully Round 3 next weekend...

Would you have shot Carrot Top???

35 Whelen
09-13-2009, 04:50 PM
It's still early.....I think I would have done the same, and held off.

steepNdeep
09-14-2009, 08:01 AM
It's still early.....I think I would have done the same, and held off.

Yeah, I was glad that I didn't when it started to heat up in the mornin'.

Mik
09-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Good call, stick with the elk.