PDA

View Full Version : rifle hunters during bow season

Big Lew
09-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I just spent 4 days in the interior mountians bow hunting,( unfortunately couldn't get the 5 bucks I was able to sneak close to, to co-operate and turn sideways)and boy are there a lot of middle-aged and older people cruising the back roads with rifles, not bows. I accosted 2 of them and sent them packing after taking down their truck plate numbers. I covered a lot of country trying to get away from all the smoke, and saw 3 kill sites, quite a few older hunters by themselves, or with their wives, but no young hunters, and only 2 fellow archers. Sure wish the game department would return the first week back to archery only, I really get nervous when I hear a truck stop when I am in the middle of a stalk through a partually re-grown logging slash while wearing camo.

quadrakid
09-05-2009, 09:21 PM
As far as i know it is not a crime to cruise backroads with rifles in your vehicle. If it was most of us would be criminals.

amerikazmoswanted23
09-05-2009, 09:24 PM
black bear opened on the first in reg 3 not bow season only it's open to rifles

goatdancer
09-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Is there a youth and old farts season? If so, then they had every right to be there. I don't blame you about feeling nervous though. Sneaking around in camo used to be taboo. Used to have to wear blaze orange and other such gear. Still do in some jurisdictions. Besides, those old geezers would never be able to spot you in camo. Eyesight usually goes.

martyonthewater
09-05-2009, 09:29 PM
lots of places in the back woods to sight in a rifle and get some practice.

Kirby
09-05-2009, 09:38 PM
atta boy, give some guys shit for doing whats perfectly legal!!! YAAA!! Cause you know, bears didn't open on the 1st, and there is NO way they were just looking around, maybe firing off a couple of shots to confirm their zero.

Good job.

Kirby

Ozone
09-05-2009, 09:40 PM
I accosted 2 of them and sent them packing after taking down their truck plate numbers.

For what purpose. I guess you think you own the bush now. Perhaps the firefighters should leave while your in your bush also and the loggers who made the slashes your hunting, I mean we wouldnt want them scaring off the game in your bush now would we.

Robinhood
09-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Hey Big Lew, I know the feeling. I have on many occasions hunted during rifle season with a bow (camoed up) It is certainly more comfortable knowing there will not be any bullets zinging about. As the others have said, if there is a legal reason for the others to be there with their guns, then all we can do is hope everyone is safe and responsible. Hey we're all on the same team here folks...

Stone Sheep Steve
09-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I was out the evening of Sept 1st with my bow. Saw two guys "posing" as Dad's with their "sons". It was obviously just a front for a poaching operation.:roll:.........;)

Really, I was glad to see a couple of guys out taking advantage of the youth seasons. In fact, I was more excited about trying to help them(if I had actually seen anything) than about my archery hunt.

Caught wind that one of those boys shot his first buck just after I talked to them.
Great stuff!!:cool:

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
09-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Hey Big Lew, I know the feeling. I have on many occasions hunted during rifle season with a bow (camoed up) It is certainly more comfortable knowing there will not be any bullets zinging about.

I'm always "camoed up" during rifle season. Never once worried about bullets "zinging about". Doesn't matter what kind of weapon you have in your hands.:roll:

SSS

ruger#1
09-05-2009, 10:08 PM
I think you have a better chance at getting shot grocery shopping in the lower mainland then in the woods. Hunting is one of the safest sports. If you do not feel safe in the woods then you shouldn't be there. As for accosting hunters, that might be classed as interfering with a legal hunt which is against the law.

Robinhood
09-05-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm always "camoed up" during rifle season. Never once worried about bullet "zinging about". Doesn't matter what kind of weapon you have in your hands.:roll:

Good point - I hadn't thought of it that way...

peterrum3
09-05-2009, 11:08 PM
black bear opened on the first in reg 3 not bow season only it's open to rifles

Not quite sure where you were Lew but the regs show its legal to rifle hunt bears in reg. 3 and 5. I was bowhunting in reg. 3 on the first and ran into a couple of guys on quads who were bear hunting. No biggie, we had a good chat for about an hour and traded war stories.

.308win
09-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Dang man, hope you weren't huntin in Region 7, Bear opens Aug. 15th, those guys most really suck, beatin the back roads with their rifles!!!:wink: Hope I don't hurt too many guys feelings tomorrow when I take my family out on the back roads looking for a Bear!! I really feel for ya!! :cry::rolleyes:

Perry

elkdom
09-06-2009, 12:45 AM
I just spent 4 days in the interior mountians bow hunting,( unfortunately couldn't get the 5 bucks I was able to sneak close to, to co-operate and turn sideways)and boy are there a lot of middle-aged and older people cruising the back roads with rifles, not bows. I accosted 2 of them and sent them packing after taking down their truck plate numbers. I covered a lot of country trying to get away from all the smoke, and saw 3 kill sites, quite a few older hunters by themselves, or with their wives, but no young hunters, and only 2 fellow archers. Sure wish the game department would return the first week back to archery only, I really get nervous when I hear a truck stop when I am in the middle of a stalk through a partually re-grown logging slash while wearing camo.

Appears to be that you are better at "accosting old folks with guns" than you are at "accosting deer with your bow" :lol:

and we dont have A "Game Department" in BC, seasons and game management is administered by the BC. MOE,
for game departments Yo'all" gotta look south of the border!:lol:

mrdoog
09-06-2009, 04:13 AM
If you accosted me, I'd accost you right back with no gaurantee that I'd be the one sent packing.
You should be nice to us slightly older than middle age folks; some of us are mean and travel in packs. You might just bite off more than you can chew.:wink:

3kills
09-06-2009, 06:25 AM

why dont u have some kids and then see how u feel bout the youth season....i love the youth season and think its a great idea...maybe they should close the bow season instead ;-) i have spend that last few youth season out with my lil cousin lookin for deer and u know what i always have my gun with me too..am i a criminal??

bowhunterbruce
09-06-2009, 06:44 AM
i feel that haveing the kids oout thier is a very valuble experience for them as well as the bond that created between them and thier parents yet at the same time being an avid bowhunter myself i can understand the need for haveing areas where nobody with a rifle should be allowed for bowhunting season.
the united bowhunters of bc has been lobbying for such areas with the mindset that everyone of us should be able to be accomidated.
the youth is our hunting of the future and they need to see that its just as important that bowhunters are out thier with far more challenges to be successful.
i hunt with both a bow and a rifle and yes it is way easier to harvest an animal with a well placed bullet then an arrow,yes when animals hear shots being fired they do realize its time to go noctural again and do so
which in turn makes it even more challenging for those of us trying to harvest an animal with a bow.
if thier were sub -regions availible to bowhunters throughout every region where only bows could be used during the bow only season everyone would be much happier
imo both ways are just as important as the other and the kids, being our future should be taught that so that hunters of the next generation can make our province what we all want,a place where everyone has thier needs and desires taken care of.
bruce

blacklab
09-06-2009, 07:15 AM
I think BigLew would feel safer if all other seasons were closed and firearms were banned. There are several groups out there he could join that lobby for just that.
I hunted one of the busiest areas of region 3 on opening day, never saw another vehicle track let alone any hunters. And nobody screwed up my stock but me.

bsa30-06
09-06-2009, 08:00 AM
if these folks and their wives had a legal reason for driving the backroads, or in fact were hunting then by your own statement you have broken the law.

Fisher-Dude
09-06-2009, 08:09 AM
It is unlawful:

to interfere with or obstruct a person
licensed or permitted to hunt, guide
or trap while that person is lawfully so
engaged.

Hopefully, the people you accosted in your selfish act got YOUR license number and read this. I'd be happy to help them press charges against you.

lilhoss
09-06-2009, 08:28 AM
If you don't like the crowds,then get off the beaten path.It is a big province,and I know I can find a spot where I will spend the day alone!

igojuone
09-06-2009, 09:02 AM
What more is there to say other than BIG LEW stepped in it. When I look through the regs, it seems there is something to hunt with a rifle in most regions almost everyday of the year, whether it be raccoon, raven, skunks, wolves or the Columbian Ground Squirrel.:eek:

huntwriter
09-06-2009, 09:53 AM

I never had any problems bowhunting with firearm hunters present. In fact I often have more "luck" bowhunting during firearm season then archery season. The reason being, if you do it smart you can use the pressure of other hunters to your advantage. Other hunters can be used as involunatary deer drivers for bowhunters.;-) That's how I got my moose last year in region 3 with the bow and I only had to walk 200 yards from the truck.

Elkhound
09-06-2009, 10:47 AM
I am impressed. This is ALWAYS a hot topic around here and you guys flamed Big Lew pretty good without it getting heated or nasty.

Nice job boys. Keep up the good work:cool:

bsa30-06
09-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I am impressed. This is ALWAYS a hot topic around here and you guys flamed Big Lew pretty good without it getting heated or nasty.

Nice job boys. Keep up the good work:cool:

yep when i saw this at 7am this morning i expected it to be locked when i got home.

Elkhound
09-06-2009, 10:57 AM
yep when i saw this at 7am this morning i expected it to be locked when i got home.

And it usually is......thats why I am giving credit where credit is due.

brian
09-06-2009, 11:05 AM
If you are really worried about being shot at while being all camo'd up then why not camo up in blaze orange colours. Deer only possess blue and green colour sensing cells in their retinas. As long as your silhouette is broken up it won't make any difference to the deer if you are in mossy oak or flaming reds and oranges. I know its not as cool but it would work.

308Lover
09-06-2009, 11:27 AM
C'mon Lew! At least give us a hint of which MU you were in! Lack of knowledge ALWAYS makes for the best arguments. And it can be FUN! LOLC'mon now--we know you were pissed at all the rifles you saw---but please tell us "roughly" where you were so we can sympathize--or not.

tomahawk
09-06-2009, 11:33 AM

I've only hunted a "bow only" season once for goats, always hunted around rifle hunters, including my partners. However I did not hunt area's that were easily accessable to road hunting, I hunted remote area's where my partners and I were the only ones there and have taken 9 big game animals and passed on many others with my bow. Choose a better area if its not bow only!!

gary murray
09-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I never had any problems bowhunting with firearm hunters present. In fact I often have more "luck" bowhunting during firearm season then archery season. The reason being, if you do it smart you can use the pressure of other hunters to your advantage. Other hunters can be used as involunatary deer drivers for bowhunters.;-) That's how I got my moose last year in region 3 with the bow and I only had to walk 200 yards from the truck.
Totally true. The deer are getting pushed towards you or using the funnels towards your tree stand to avoid the road. If you find the right set up, then you should see more than a fair share of game.

ruger#1
09-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Road hunters, I tell ya. Whats wrong Lew the other hunters in camo in their truck box have a nicer truck then yours. It would be ill advised that you read the hunting regs.

Fisher-Dude
09-07-2009, 09:45 AM
i feel that haveing the kids oout thier is a very valuble experience for them as well as the bond that created between them and thier parents yet at the same time being an avid bowhunter myself i can understand the need for haveing areas where nobody with a rifle should be allowed for bowhunting season.
the united bowhunters of bc has been lobbying for such areas with the mindset that everyone of us should be able to be accomidated.
the youth is our hunting of the future and they need to see that its just as important that bowhunters are out thier with far more challenges to be successful.
i hunt with both a bow and a rifle and yes it is way easier to harvest an animal with a well placed bullet then an arrow,yes when animals hear shots being fired they do realize its time to go noctural again and do so
which in turn makes it even more challenging for those of us trying to harvest an animal with a bow.
if thier were sub -regions availible to bowhunters throughout every region where only bows could be used during the bow only season everyone would be much happier
imo both ways are just as important as the other and the kids, being our future should be taught that so that hunters of the next generation can make our province what we all want,a place where everyone has thier needs and desires taken care of.
bruce

Animals go nocturnal when they hear gunshots? How the hell do I shoot them during legal shooting hours during GOS then? :roll:

The argument is lame and totally refuted by many bowhunters that I know. These bowhunters manage to fill the freezer every year during GOS with their bows. I guess what you're lobbying for is for those who really suck at bowhunting and need a "tame" deer to stick? Perhaps that mandatory IBEP course is a good idea after all, as it seems that some need to brush up on their hunting skills. 8)

Big Lew
09-10-2009, 08:04 PM
[quote=bsa30-06;507722]if these folks and their wives had a legal reason for driving the backroads, or in fact were hunting then by your own statement you have broken the law.[/quote
I stated that the only people I saw were middle-aged to make a point that I didn't see anyone during those 4 days bringing a youth along to take advantage of the youth season, but I'm sure in other areas many adults were doing just that. I have no problem with those hunters that follow the intent of the youth seasons, or were out hunting for bear, or with anyone just out for a drive and for target practice, I asked the gent that I talked to if he was scouting or hunting bear and he said, no. and as he was observed idling along just before daylight without his lights on, I took his plate number and advised as such before suggesting he leave. I had young ones that I put through the core system and then brought them along with me for many hunting experiences during the legal rifle season, even taking them out of school for a few days. There is a drive to separate rifle from bow season which I fully support, but I am certianly not asking for a cancellation of the youth seasons. I hunt with both a bow and rifle during the appropriate allowable time allotments. A suggestion would be to divide the first 10 days between the archers and the youth, or to allow "youth only" during the first 2 weekends of the current bow/youth season. (I hope this clarifies my position a bit better, as, after reading my first statements typed out in the heat of the moment, I can see why several people were upset.)

jessbennett
09-11-2009, 03:09 PM
so i guess its against the law to idle your vehicle without the lights on now too??? why did you take these peoples plate number and tell them to leave? really what were they doing that was wrong??

[quote=bsa30-06;507722]if these folks and their wives had a legal reason for driving the backroads, or in fact were hunting then by your own statement you have broken the law.[/quote
I stated that the only people I saw were middle-aged to make a point that I didn't see anyone during those 4 days bringing a youth along to take advantage of the youth season, but I'm sure in other areas many adults were doing just that. I have no problem with those hunters that follow the intent of the youth seasons, or were out hunting for bear, or with anyone just out for a drive and for target practice, I asked the gent that I talked to if he was scouting or hunting bear and he said, no. and as he was observed idling along just before daylight without his lights on, I took his plate number and advised as such before suggesting he leave. I had young ones that I put through the core system and then brought them along with me for many hunting experiences during the legal rifle season, even taking them out of school for a few days. There is a drive to separate rifle from bow season which I fully support, but I am certianly not asking for a cancellation of the youth seasons. I hunt with both a bow and rifle during the appropriate allowable time allotments. A suggestion would be to divide the first 10 days between the archers and the youth, or to allow "youth only" during the first 2 weekends of the current bow/youth season. (I hope this clarifies my position a bit better, as, after reading my first statements typed out in the heat of the moment, I can see why several people were upset.)

09-11-2009, 03:32 PM
wow Lew way to remain calm after all that! i was waiting to see what you would say.

eastkoot
09-11-2009, 04:36 PM
I hunt with both a bow and rifle during the appropriate allowable time allotments. A suggestion would be to divide the first 10 days between the archers and the youth, or to allow "youth only" during the first 2 weekends of the current bow/youth season. (I hope this clarifies my position a bit better, as, after reading my first statements typed out in the heat of the moment, I can see why several people were upset.)

Nope, still sound like an arrow sticker who just can't get over other peoples legal right to hunt when they can.. You understand that bowhunters are properly classed with young children and aging old farts ( of which I am one), even the government has it right for a change!!!! I personally think that if you are commited and true to bowhunting, that when you buy your licence and tags, you choose, and bowhunting is it. No changing to rifle when things get tough..

jessbennett
09-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Nope, still sound like an arrow sticker who just can't get over other peoples legal right to hunt when they can.. You understand that bowhunters are properly classed with young children and aging old farts ( of which I am one), even the government has it right for a change!!!! I personally think that if you are commited and true to bowhunting, that when you buy your licence and tags, you choose, and bowhunting is it. No changing to rifle when things get tough..

wow arent you the riteous one???? who cares what who hunts with? i hunt hunt with both. not because times "get tough''as you say, but because i enjoy both. thats a mighty high horse your riding there.

eastkoot
09-11-2009, 06:11 PM
wow arent you the riteous one????

Ya Jess, just the way I am.. Sorry to offend but this bow thing is just too much to swallow.. You have a "preseason", and an "all season", if you abide by "standard" regs (which you can't so we revert to the BIG sticks), and an "after season". So WTF are the objections to an old fart or junior with Mom or Dad, trying to fill a tag..This Lew guy just P****d me off with his mightier than thou attitude.. Won't say where his arrow belongs..It may make him QUIVER..

Big Lew
09-11-2009, 09:56 PM
I hunt with a rifle when I have a chance to go with my son or brothers, I don't see where that makes me a rightous arrow sticker at all.

Big Lew
09-11-2009, 10:20 PM
As the saying goes, walk a mile in anothers shoes......it would be interesting to see how some of you would react were you with me and observed the situation as I did.....from some comments, a few of you might have beat the fellow up. As for the other party, they were hunting in a "active logging-no shooting" area that was posted as such, and was where my brother was working. They were asked to leave, which they did after apologizing. Further, all 3 of the kill sites I noticed were deer kills made before sept. 1st. The other people that stopped to talk, exchanged fishing information, and game sighted and then we each went about our business. I realize most of the heated remarks could have been avoided had I gone into intimate detail first, rather than trying to explain the situation now, or had I been available to answer or respond when the flaming first began. Have a great day.

The Hermit
09-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Same old saw... sigh. On the last evening of the archery elk season in 4-22 some asshole fired off at least 25 rounds sighting in his rifle RIGHT at dusk! What an inconsiderate asshole!! Guys that are sighting in their rifles on the evening before GOS opening day are freakin loosers!!! Then again, I had a guy "marching" past my stand with a bow flinging at a fawn 40 yards away! No wonder we all hate each other! LOL

Fisher-Dude
09-11-2009, 10:54 PM
The absolute lack of hunting skill of the OP can't be used as a crutch to ban youth from hunting. By his own admission, he saw NO youth hunters, but is hell bent on getting "the game department" to ban the youth season because it apparently interferes with "his" archery season. How f##ked is that?

Don't forget, there was a rifle season Sep 1 - 9 LONG before there was an early bow season. For bow hunters to claim some inalienable "right" to those dates is a load of shit.

winbuckhunter
09-12-2009, 12:38 AM
don't bow hunt from the road then... if you''re a true bow hunter then you're hiding somewhere anyways..

tikkat3
09-12-2009, 10:07 AM
If you don't like the crowds,then get off the beaten path.It is a big province,and I know I can find a spot where I will spend the day alone!

yes I agree with this ^

Ambush
09-12-2009, 10:12 AM
don't bow hunt from the road then... if you''re a true bow hunter then you're hiding somewhere anyways..

Same could be said for the rifle hunters.

Fisher-Dude
09-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Same could be said for the rifle hunters.

I haven't heard any rifle hunters yet saying their hunt was ruined by bow hunting kids, and that bow hunting kids should be banned.

Wild one
09-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Some members want to run there mouth about bow hunters being pissed about the youth season. I bet some of you rifle hunters would be pissed if there was a compromise to your season( I already seen the winning start with the senior elk in reg 4) now think about it. No the youth season is not affecting all areas but some it is. Now this is a recruitment thing is it well it is not recruiting all kinds of hunters it is only benefiting those who hunt with firearms. I help 2 or more hunters a year get in to hunting (rifle/bow) and the youth season has been no help in that (if any thing it makes it harder to start of a new bow hunter). If you guys would just suck it up and teach a new hunter and give them first crack and let them cut a tag instead of your self there would be no need for the youth season. Now instead of screwing one group of hunters because you are to lazy to teach why not adjust the seasons so it can benefit all groups. If you have some thing intelligent to respond with go for it if you are just going to run your mouth you will be wasting your time as I have read enough BS.

frenchbar
09-12-2009, 04:29 PM
How the hell does a youth hunt compromise a bow hunters hunt!..i just dont get it:roll:.

Ambush
09-12-2009, 05:18 PM
I haven't heard any rifle hunters yet saying their hunt was ruined by bow hunting kids, and that bow hunting kids should be banned.

Fissure-Lube, you know that when I speak about road-hunters, I am excluding you. You like the challenge of fast, vehicle-shy game.:razz: I was responding to WBH's comment that if you are "pure' you won't be road hunting anyway.

We're still on for me pulling winch line and gutting your LEH doe right Buddy?:sad:
But I will have to decline your invitation to spent the night at your cabin. At least until you get something more than one double bed that rolls to the middle.

Lots of young hunters posting great pictures of their game on HBC this year. I would rather just enjoy those than get in a pi$$ing match about hunting preferences. 'Cause really, that's all it is.

This thread has gotten a little too intense for my style.

springpin
09-12-2009, 05:23 PM
In my opinion...this thread sucks.

Wild one
09-12-2009, 05:26 PM
I find that it compromises a new bow hunter starting out. Not all youth can start with rifle as some parents do not allow it or they made a dumb move in the past and the gov does not allow it. I have helped out new hunters in both positions. The true vet bow hunter should not be affected in most areas but there are areas I will no longer hunt with a new bow hunter because they are seeing more pressure.

The Hermit
09-12-2009, 05:32 PM
How the hell does a youth hunt compromise a bow hunters hunt!..i just dont get it:roll:.

One more time... All summer the Zone X elk descend from the steep high timber and enter the valley fields just before dark and leave the fields around 7 - 8 am to climb way back up the hillsides to bed down in the cool draws and stream beds.

Even though many of the ranchers bitch and complain about crop damage and loss caused by the elk most ranchers will not allow hunters on their property. Then taxpayers pay to have high fences erected around thousands upon thousands of acres... errr but thats another story. So only way to hunt those elk effectively is to gain access to the timber and ambush them on their way up in the morning or down in the early evening.

Within four or five days of the archery season opener these wary and sensitive herds go completely nocturnal, meaning that they enter the fields well after dark and leave the fields well before light. That is just from bowhunter pressure! NOTE the rut is only just beginning late Aug and early Sept so calling and challenging bull elk during daylight hours is rarely successful.

Now you allow seniors and youth to start firing rifles in that area and things change almost instantly! It is hard enough getting into 20 yards of these awesome animals when everything is quiet but with even a few guns going off in the first day or two it reduces our odds dramatically. I don't really care what ANYONE here says about being able to take animals at 10 yards any time they like all season long in other parts of the province ... in Zone X that is not realistic.

The bowhunting community is not anti-youth. Far from it in fact. We have been asking the MOE for juniors to have the opportunity to kill a doe, calf, buck, or bull during the entire GOS which is far more opportunity for them than just allowing them a few days during the archery season!! Most of us don't want rifles in Zone X during those first 9 days! Most of us don't really care about youth/seniors using firearms for remote area elk hunts either BTW.

Gateholio
09-12-2009, 05:54 PM
**** yourself asshole.

who made you god?

id like to meet u in person and tell me how to hunt!

I asked you once nicely....now you get an HBC vacation.

MadCat
09-12-2009, 06:00 PM
One more time... All summer the Zone X elk descend from the steep high timber and enter the valley fields just before dark and leave the fields around 7 - 8 am to climb way back up the hillsides to bed down in the cool draws and stream beds.

Even though many of the ranchers bitch and complain about crop damage and loss caused by the elk most ranchers will not allow hunters on their property. Then taxpayers pay to have high fences erected around thousands upon thousands of acres... errr but thats another story. So only way to hunt those elk effectively is to gain access to the timber and ambush them on their way up in the morning or down in the early evening.

Within four or five days of the archery season opener these wary and sensitive herds go completely nocturnal, meaning that they enter the fields well after dark and leave the fields well before light. That is just from bowhunter pressure! NOTE the rut is only just beginning late Aug and early Sept so calling and challenging bull elk during daylight hours is rarely successful.

Now you allow seniors and youth to start firing rifles in that area and things change almost instantly! It is hard enough getting into 20 yards of these awesome animals when everything is quiet but with even a few guns going off in the first day or two it reduces our odds dramatically. I don't really care what ANYONE here says about being able to take animals at 10 yards any time they like all season long in other parts of the province ... in Zone X that is not realistic.

The bowhunting community is not anti-youth. Far from it in fact. We have been asking the MOE for juniors to have the opportunity to kill a doe, calf, buck, or bull during the entire GOS which is far more opportunity for them than just allowing them a few days during the archery season!! Most of us don't want rifles in Zone X during those first 9 days! Most of us don't really care about youth/seniors using firearms for remote area elk hunts either BTW.

Waaah Waaaah Waaah hunt some where other than zone x then.

eastkoot
09-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Most of us don't want rifles in Zone X during those first 9 days! Most of us don't really care about youth/seniors using firearms for remote area elk hunts either BTW.

I think it's time for YOU to realize that most of US don't want bowhunters in zone X.. The whole idea is to get the game off the land and reduce numbers. . The season is not to allow you free range to do your bow and arrow thing.. BTW, this is not a "remote area" elk hunt. It's friggin farmland. Main highways and roads everywhere..You want a remote elk hunt, join the true bowhunters in real elk habitat, not on farmland..

09-12-2009, 09:22 PM
The original zone-x proposal was to start the antlerless LEH on Sept 1st. We (EKWA) talked them out of that because we knew it would stir up resentment even though it would compromise the objective. Because in actual fact Eastkoot has it right, the X-zone was created for one reason only, not to create hunting opportunities, not for youth or seniors, not for for bowhunters,,,, it was created exclusively to reduce the population of homesteader elk and the objective is to kill a target number of elk.

We (EKWA) suggested that to reach this objective we throw everthing we had at them, youth seasons, senior seasons, bow seasons for any elk, etc. We may have been wrong, several ranchers have told me the bow season is compromising the objective by moving the elk off the field before the gun and LEH seasons start and reducing their effectiveness.

I'm not saying I support this concept but I know at least three ranchers that won't let bowhunters on their land until after the 10th of September. They claim that bowhunters don't kill enough elk to make a difference but by pushing the elk out they do reduce the effetiveness of the gun seasons in reducing elk numbers.

Don't like high fences??? Well the only way to stop more of them from going up is to reduce the homesteader elk population and the depredation levels. If the depredation levels continue expect to see more high fences and more ranchers bitching and lobbying for an elk population reduction.

Don't forget high fences are the ultimate solution for a rancher when he's had enough,,, no more elk problems, no more depredation, no more hunting opportunities on that land, no more need for hunters of any kind.

09-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I have no problem with youth hunting in Zone X during the bow season. Really, there aren't that many youth hunters anyway (which will be a problem in the future). Zone X, though, sucks as a place to hunt. Too much private land, too many hunters, and no real sense of wilderness. This province is HUGE...and there are so many places to go where you can be by yourself, or close to it. If a person doesn't like Zone X, then don't go there.

The Hermit
09-13-2009, 12:20 AM
. BTW, this is not a "remote area" elk hunt. It's friggin farmland. Main highways and roads everywhere..You want a remote elk hunt, join the true bowhunters in real elk habitat, not on farmland..

Yeah I didn't word that very well... what I was saying is that in "true" remote areas no one really cares about youth using firearms but we do care about it during the ARCHERY season in zone X.

The Hermit
09-13-2009, 12:22 AM
The original zone-x proposal was to start the antlerless LEH on Sept 1st. We (EKWA) talked them out of that because we knew it would stir up resentment even though it would compromise the objective. Because in actual fact Eastkoot has it right, the X-zone was created for one reason only, not to create hunting opportunities, not for youth or seniors, not for for bowhunters,,,, it was created exclusively to reduce the population of homesteader elk and the objective is to kill a target number of elk.

We (EKWA) suggested that to reach this objective we throw everthing we had at them, youth seasons, senior seasons, bow seasons for any elk, etc. We may have been wrong, several ranchers have told me the bow season is compromising the objective by moving the elk off the field before the gun and LEH seasons start and reducing their effectiveness.

I'm not saying I support this concept but I know at least three ranchers that won't let bowhunters on their land until after the 10th of September. They claim that bowhunters don't kill enough elk to make a difference but by pushing the elk out they do reduce the effetiveness of the gun seasons in reducing elk numbers.

Don't like high fences??? Well the only way to stop more of them from going up is to reduce the homesteader elk population and the depredation levels. If the depredation levels continue expect to see more high fences and more ranchers bitching and lobbying for an elk population reduction.

Don't forget high fences are the ultimate solution for a rancher when he's had enough,,, no more elk problems, no more depredation, no more hunting opportunities on that land, no more need for hunters of any kind.

They should pay for the fences themselves then and not on the backs of the tax payers!

The Hermit
09-13-2009, 12:37 AM

Put the kids and older guys somewhere else! And let the kids shoot a doe or cow all season just not in the archery season in Zone X. the ranchers that say we don't kill enough set us up for failure by not allowing access! If we had better access the harvest numbers would increase. They blame us... thats funny!

09-13-2009, 12:49 AM
They should pay for the fences themselves then and not on the backs of the tax payers!

Of course they should Bill, but no matter who pays for the fences the result is the same for hunters and for elk. We need to forget who pays for the fences, forget fighting about hunting opportunities, and make the x-zone program work or the outcome will not be something we'll be very happy with....!

You might remember in 1984 Ray Demarchi introduced a very similar program to the x-zone, LEH antlerless hunt zones set by an elevation limit, but that program never had a chance, the strong lobby from the cattlemen's assn resulted in him being instructed by HQ to permanently reduce the elk population by 10,000 head.

Fisher-Dude
09-13-2009, 05:09 AM
You might remember in 1984 Ray Demarchi introduced a very similar program to the x-zone, LEH antlerless hunt zones set by an elevation limit, but that program never had a chance, the strong lobby from the cattlemen's assn resulted in him being instructed by HQ to permanently reduce the elk population by 10,000 head.

Andy, those stuck in the past (archers only the "coveted" bow only season) are doomed to repeat the failures of the past. Every farmer can dig a pit on their land and dump culled elk carcasses in it until the required herd reduction is met. Seems that's what the UBBC/TBBC boys want to see happen since they can't have it all for themselves, again. Like a spoiled kid who would rather break his toys than share the sandbox with others.

Far be it for those of us who want to introduce better game management outcomes to screw with that inevitable result. :neutral:

Spokerider
09-13-2009, 07:54 AM
As the saying goes, walk a mile in anothers shoes......it would be interesting to see how some of you would react were you with me and observed the situation as I did.....from some comments, a few of you might have beat the fellow up. As for the other party, they were hunting in a "active logging-no shooting" area that was posted as such, and was where my brother was working. They were asked to leave, which they did after apologizing. Further, all 3 of the kill sites I noticed were deer kills made before sept. 1st. The other people that stopped to talk, exchanged fishing information, and game sighted and then we each went about our business. I realize most of the heated remarks could have been avoided had I gone into intimate detail first, rather than trying to explain the situation now, or had I been available to answer or respond when the flaming first began. Have a great day.

The scenario [ and your cooresponding thoughts ] that you have painted in your post indicate a very narrow-minded, narcissistic point of view on your part........

I gotta say, you ain't getting much sympathy with that post........rightly so.......

The Hermit
09-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Andy, those stuck in the past (archers only the "coveted" bow only season) are doomed to repeat the failures of the past. Every farmer can dig a pit on their land and dump culled elk carcasses in it until the required herd reduction is met. Seems that's what the UBBC/TBBC boys want to see happen since they can't have it all for themselves, again. Like a spoiled kid who would rather break his toys than share the sandbox with others.

Far be it for those of us who want to introduce better game management outcomes to screw with that inevitable result. :neutral:

Clearly the ranchers can't dig a pit as you suggest, it is illegal. You seem impossibly non-comprehensive on this issue man... I've repeatedly offered that the UBBC and TBBC want far greater opportunity for youth than your "better game management" scenario allows, without screwing up the bow hunt.

BlacktailStalker
09-13-2009, 02:03 PM

I have to agree here.
Not much to complain about when you're sitting on a food plott :mrgreen: God forbid they dont show up because some loser wanted to pack an elk out in quarters instead of picking it up with a tractor :lol:

My kids are going to be exploring the bush, learning how to keep a mental note of direction, seeing different things, get bit by rattlesnakes and charged by grizzly bears, you know, the good stuff. Most kids get bored sitting and waiting anyways. The first few kills should come after working for it, or they might get "spoiled."

RiverBoatFantasy
09-13-2009, 02:16 PM
There is a good reason why I hunt by riverboat. I dont encounter any of the various arses and if I do they are always polite.

No phone connection, no pickup for a week, and being a long way from home has that affect on people's attitudes.

Besides, when they see my banjo they get the message real quick.

Fisher-Dude
09-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Clearly the ranchers can't dig a pit as you suggest, it is illegal. You seem impossibly non-comprehensive on this issue man... I've repeatedly offered that the UBBC and TBBC want far greater opportunity for youth than your "better game management" scenario allows, without screwing up the bow hunt.

Clearly, you're not aware of what is happening in other jurisdictions where target harvest of depredating animals has not been met. In many, the ranchers are given permission to deal with the problem themselves, and culls take place. Don't ever think the well-funded, well-connected BC Cattlemen's Association can't get that to happen here. Eastkoot and 6616 tried to explain it to you above, but you seem impossibly non-comprehensive on this issue, preferring to wear blinders and charge forward with your "cause" to exclude other hunters from the woods (or fields, as it may be).

Love the "tractor" comment above - you have the whole frikken East Kootenays to hunt with your coveted season, but obviously you don't want to put in a bit of effort and forego the Massey Ferguson skinning pole. Your piss-ass little truck can't carry a whole elk anyways! :)

MadCat
09-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Put the kids and older guys somewhere else! And let the kids shoot a doe or cow all season just not in the archery season in Zone X. the ranchers that say we don't kill enough set us up for failure by not allowing access! If we had better access the harvest numbers would increase. They blame us... thats funny!

Oh poor you, the kids and older guys are not letting you kill enough elk. Mabey you have to quit blaming other people for your "guys" lack of success and look at different places to hunt. I bow hunt too and don't have a problem with kids and old guys killing all my animals, but mabey thats because I hunt somewhere thats not the hot spot to kill a little whitetail. Quit complaining and start hunting.

The Hermit
09-13-2009, 09:18 PM
HA! Spent the last 5 or 6 days of the archery season well away from the fields for the past 3 years since as I've said the elk go nocturnal in Zone X pretty quick! So you guys don't like my truck either??? Well how about that... they don't like me cause I'm a shrink, they don't like my little truck, so I speculate that they won't like my little 400cc quad either then eh? HAHAHAHA!

Fisher-Dude
09-13-2009, 10:00 PM
This "nocturnal" bullshit is just that, bullshit. When will you guys figure out that in the early part of September, with high daytime temperatures, that the animals don't stand out in fields in the hot sun all day? Geesh! And you call yourselves "hunters"...:roll:

09-13-2009, 11:55 PM
HA! Spent the last 5 or 6 days of the archery season well away from the fields for the past 3 years since as I've said the elk go nocturnal in Zone X pretty quick! So you guys don't like my truck either??? Well how about that... they don't like me cause I'm a shrink, they don't like my little truck, so I speculate that they won't like my little 400cc quad either then eh? HAHAHAHA!

We like your Hermitage tents...

The Hermit
09-14-2009, 07:34 AM
This "nocturnal" bullshit is just that, bullshit. When will you guys figure out that in the early part of September, with high daytime temperatures, that the animals don't stand out in fields in the hot sun all day? Geesh! And you call yourselves "hunters"...:roll:

FD = SD!! Hahaha! No one stands in the fields at all, ever! We are climbing and stocking, and sitting in trees, and chasing and calling and everything in between except road hunting and quading around, not that there is anything "wrong" with your MO either on occasion.